UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Honda Meet - Sunday 8th March 2009

Old 02-02-2009, 06:48 AM
B B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbloke,Jan 31 2009, 11:26 AM
B B - How old would you need to be to remember the flying boats. I remember my dad taking us to Calshot regularly when I was a kid to see something special, but the memories are very sketchy..........
Flipping very very old mate.
It gets worse, for I also remember my dad taking me to see a flying boat beached at Hamworthy, Poole, where it was to be broken up. I even have a vague memory of climbing inside it, maybe sowing the seed for a lifetime of being facinated by aviation.
I believe BOAC had a base at Poole, from which the flying boats would set off for their 3/4 day journeys to the Middle East & i think as far as South Africa.
Even Christchurch was just operational, with yellow Tiger Moths, construction of the DH110 naval fighter, the Airspeed Ambassor airliner, and air cadets in open cockpit gliders on Sundays.

The Princess flying boats, 2 I think, were cacooned at Calshot, as it was thought possible they would fly again should powerful enough engines be developed.
History has proved that the concept of using water as an aerodrome was impractical.

All this in the early fifties when I had only been to school a year or so.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by LadyB,Feb 2 2009, 01:28 AM
stop at Cat and Fiddle near Bransgore turning- you know it makes sense.......
I'm sure i could do that

I thought that was the pub where the thatch caught fire - obviously not - must be close by though?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 AM

which pub that caught fire - there have been many that I know of (Sadly) This one is on A31 from Christchurch Sainsbury to Lyndhurst, just past petrol station and before offset x roads for New Milton and Bransgore on left its a harvester or similar chain type thing.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by B B,Feb 2 2009, 07:48 AM
Flipping very very old mate.
It gets worse, for I also remember my dad taking me to see a flying boat beached at Hamworthy, Poole, where it was to be broken up. I even have a vague memory of climbing inside it, maybe sowing the seed for a lifetime of being facinated by aviation.
I believe BOAC had a base at Poole, from which the flying boats would set off for their 3/4 day journeys to the Middle East & i think as far as South Africa.
Even Christchurch was just operational, with yellow Tiger Moths, construction of the DH110 naval fighter, the Airspeed Ambassor airliner, and air cadets in open cockpit gliders on Sundays.

The Princess flying boats, 2 I think, were cacooned at Calshot, as it was thought possible they would fly again should powerful enough engines be developed.
History has proved that the concept of using water as an aerodrome was impractical.

All this in the early fifties when I had only been to school a year or so.
A bit out of my era then. Must have been boats that the old fella used to get hyped about........

I grew up in Mudeford (Christchurch), but Tiger Moths were long gone and the only things using the old runways were me and my mates on our BMX bikes.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LadyB,Feb 2 2009, 08:16 AM
which pub that caught fire - there have been many that I know of (Sadly) This one is on A31 from Christchurch Sainsbury to Lyndhurst, just past petrol station and before offset x roads for New Milton and Bransgore on left its a harvester or similar chain type thing.
The Cat and Fiddle burns down every few years, but it's still going.

It's on the A35 by the way. Try this........

http://www.harvester.co.uk/find-a-harveste...x=26&submit.y=5
Old 02-03-2009, 01:50 AM

Will hopefully be able to make this.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pick up my S2000 tomorrow and then I find that theres a meet only 6 miles from me next month Today is a good day! I'll be along to this too
Old 02-03-2009, 12:30 PM
CB

Originally Posted by GIXER1,Feb 3 2009, 11:21 PM
I pick up my S2000 tomorrow and then I find that theres a meet only 6 miles from me next month Today is a good day! I'll be along to this too
Welcome Gixer! where are you based - am hoping to convoy with Fatbloke and perhaps some others from the Cat & Fiddle.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hiya CB...I'm based in Lymington...you?
Old 02-03-2009, 02:50 PM
CB

yep - same! off Ramley Road

Quick Reply: Honda Meet - Sunday 8th March 2009