UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Easter Ring Meet 2006 - 14th -18th April 2006

Old 02-09-2006, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the risk of sounding arrogant (too late), I'm really not THAT fussed about timing laps anymore.

I just want to be smooth and fast, and nail as many of those apex dots as possible.

As always, more than happy to take passengers with me, or accompany people in their car - pointing out the lines, etc - or leading people around.

I'm just happy to be thrashing around the 'Ring each time. If SBC's car works as advertised, he should be faster than me, but we had a blast in July last year as we were well matched due to my experience at the 'Ring. It made for very enjoyable laps as we were both driving well and moderately hard, but still had a big fun factor.

If more people can get to that sort of level this trip, then I'll be a happy bunny.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer to drive closer to the side of being Miss daisy.. than an RIP

I am going to run a book on who mentions lap times the most over easter... just a quick count on this thread gives me my database

however discussing poxster/gayman/z4 kills is certainly encouraged
Old 02-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I couldn't give a what time i do, nor what time anyone else does.

I'm going to experience the Ring, meet some new people and enjoy my car. I want to be safe more than anything
Old 02-09-2006, 12:12 AM

Sorry Richard but you need to upgrade your target list.

Poxsters and Z4s are simply too easy - a bit like shotgunning hedgehogs

Really, most S2000 owners with more than an ounce of skill should be taking scalps of Scoobys, Evos, Caterfields, Elises, the odd M3 and crap 911s. : )
Old 02-09-2006, 12:17 AM

911's are usually a good target, scalped a few, even turbo's. A lot of 911 owners seem to be afraid of its reputation and drive like miss daisy. Feels a good kill because we know what the car can do.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:25 AM

Sermonmodeon

Nothing wrong with respecting the Ring - its often those that kill themselves/others/their cars

But equally, they SHOULD learn what their cars can do - and drive accordingly - not ponce around like mobile chicane
Old 02-09-2006, 01:33 AM

forget the EVO's like the FQ400.. even Clarkson is quick in that, did you see him following the lambo gallardo (I think).. driven by a touring car chappie... the gallardo spun out (it'a also 4WD) and Clarkson was easily able to keep up..laughing at him.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Feb 9 2006, 11:09 AM
I couldn't give a what time i do, nor what time anyone else does.

I'm going to experience the Ring, meet some new people and enjoy my car. I want to be safe more than anything

but please don't let any british plated poxsters past..

german plated banged up golfs and kadetts.. are clearly something else.. and also if you see an old mini estate in your mirror.. let it past
Old 02-09-2006, 02:15 AM

You're quite right, Budgie

Its not a race/pissing contest/talent show - that's pretty much guaranteed to result in a pranged car/dented pride/hurt wallet or worse.

For your first visit, its sensible not to even think about timing yourself. Its a tricky enough circuit as it is, let alone factoring in wandering Porsches, meandering bikes, dawdling coaches and ultrafast Minis, to worry about whether you beat X's time.

If a passenger discreetly presses the start button on his stopwatch as you go under the bridge and likewise at the gantry, then thats a different matter. If you do manage to set up a bumpercam, then watching the footage later will provide a means to work out the lap time, if you must. But the last thing on anyone's mind should be the time as they are driving.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by BenHampton,Feb 9 2006, 01:15 PM

If a passenger discreetly presses the start button on his stopwatch as you go under the bridge and likewise at the gantry, then thats a different matter.
I couldn't stop my son from doing this -

after he watched clarkson on top gear.. he packed a kitchen egg timer in his luggage.. he just gave me the thumbs up at the end of the lap when we beat 10mins

Quick Reply: Easter Ring Meet 2006 - 14th -18th April 2006