UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Easter Ring Meet 2006 - 14th -18th April 2006

Old 01-22-2006, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Jan 22 2006, 01:45 PM
I've read that it is not good to time yourself.

Anyways, how do you time your lap?
Everytime I tried to time myself I either forgot to start the timer, or forgot to stop it

Bridge to gantry are the adopted timing points I think.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:55 AM

the timing start & stop points on tourist days are the bridge & gantry at each end of the main straight - start the clock as you go under the bridge before dipping down towards Hatzenbach, then stop it as you go under the gantry at the start of the main straight at Dottinger Hohe

as always, the downside of timing is trying too hard for a good time and having a spill.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the GP circuit is open again, then you won't be able to time just the ring bit anyway. Worry about timing when you're consistently doing what you know to be good laps (which I can't), until then it's a bit pointless IMO.

The other thing is that if you crash and the police report a big Clarkson-esque clock ticking away on your dashboard, your insurance company have the perfect excuse not to pay out.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:39 AM

^^ :agree:

2 very valid points from Dembo there
Old 01-22-2006, 05:43 AM

Old 01-22-2006, 07:03 AM

lap timing

I think the passenger laps are a good idea.. but to a certain degree they can also put you off !!

my first lap was a passenger with Ben.. and the track was perhaps a bit greasy.. we must have seen 4 cars that had gone off at various points a long the circuit..

on different topic, was reading these last night (clearly only the english ones)..

ring in print

one of the articles mentions how the ring is a great leveller for different types of cars because the circuit is so varied, there are some parts which favour very light nimble machines..and other areas where power really counts..

I really agree with that, you can get passed those stripped out golfs climbing the long straight up from bergwerk to karusell.. but then when it becomes downhill and twisty.. it's hard to keep them behind you from hohe acht..
Old 01-22-2006, 07:19 AM

My best BTG is slower than the times above. Also the times above aren't BTG, they're full laps I believe which we can't do. I also believe that Ben's quicker than me.

I don't mind timing my laps, because I'm not pushing the car for the sake of timing. But I wouldn't recommend timing. Go as fast as you want and can go, no more. Times are to a large part irrelevant. It's just a fecking great road to enjoy yourself on. But just as an example, my wet times are approx 4-6 minutes slower than my dry times. In the wet there's shockingly little grip.

I'm taking 2 spare sets of brake pads. Should be running on my R4S's for the trip. Still not got around to putting them on yet.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by chilled,Jan 23 2006, 01:19 AM
My best BTG is slower than the times above. Also the times above aren't BTG, they're full laps I believe which we can't do. I also believe that Ben's quicker than me.

I don't mind timing my laps, because I'm not pushing the car for the sake of timing. But I wouldn't recommend timing. Go as fast as you want and can go, no more. Times are to a large part irrelevant. It's just a fecking great road to enjoy yourself on. But just as an example, my wet times are approx 4-6 minutes slower than my dry times. In the wet there's shockingly little grip.

I'm taking 2 spare sets of brake pads. Should be running on my R4S's for the trip. Still not got around to putting them on yet.
last year I brought a right boot full of tools.. and never used anything more than the tyre pressure gauge..

are people actually bringing the toolkit to change the pads.. seems stupid we all bring a set of spanners..

I don't mind bringing stuff along as I am one up and not far to travel.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by chilled,Jan 23 2006, 01:19 AM
I got 18 laps out of my R4S fronts.. they were not totally finished but not suitable for another trip..

though this was with slotted discs and 7 of the laps on track type tyres.. (dust covers removed)

the backs had plenty of meat left..
Old 01-22-2006, 07:51 AM

My battery came loose when I was there last year and I suddenly wished I'd had even an adjustable spanner with me. I had no problem borrowing one though, and there'll be loads of British types around to ask.

Found some pictures (sorry no S2Ks).

Adneau Forest I think (kept getting that wrong):

http://circledriver.the-developer.net/gale...pic=281&max=475

Here I am doing an impression of The Fly:

http://circledriver.the-developer.net/gale...97&pic=5&max=15

Eiskurve:

http://www.tetongravity.com/usergalleries/...serpics/FTO.jpg

Getting excited by this now. Too long to wait.

Quick Reply: Easter Ring Meet 2006 - 14th -18th April 2006