UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Easter Ring Meet 2006 - 14th -18th April 2006

Old 10-18-2005, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one of the tricks is to ensure whatever you change, is well bedded in before you hit the road/track session..

you also need to think about the brake balance.. in thinking you are being less hard on the brakes by less heavy deceleration.. you will more likely promote heat build up on the rears.. which as Ben mentions are not vented.. so infact you create the opposite effect you had intended.. the fronts are actually designed for the punishment of rapid deceleration..hence larger diameter and vented discs

if you see the heavily modded cars.. ones prepared by professional tuning houses, very rarely they upgrade the rear brakes from stock.. because they assume the driver is going to be stamping on the pedal.. and pushing the brake balance further and further forward..meaning more load only on the front discs/pads... the rear only there for balance..

so really the ideal is to have good cooling on the fronts.. and then adequate temperature pads for the track..

which typically means road pads for the road.. and then swopped for track pads when doing the track day.

I got a set of Pagid pads on the front.. which so far feel very good on the ring.. and acceptable on the road.. they squeak like a bus sometimes when you brake slowly, but that's the compromise.

I also removed the front dust covers to increase the amount of air getting into the the rotors.. I can't easily feed vents yet..but something to work on over the winter.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me, people like Sabine completely redefine the accolade "great driver".

Despite having almost been run over by her in the pits (aahhh those were the days), she is one *hell* of a driver. I've a short clip of her overtaking my mate in his Elise, sideways. Sweet!
Old 10-18-2005, 06:54 AM

rotors? sheesh, Richard this is a BRITISH forum! : )

Cbender once emailed me a very comprehensive set of almost idiot-proof instructions for venting air directly to the front brakes. I've not been brave enough to try it, but might do one day...
Old 10-18-2005, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by BenHampton,Oct 18 2005, 11:52 PM
To me, people like Sabine completely redefine the accolade "great driver".

Despite having almost been run over by her in the pits (aahhh those were the days), she is one *hell* of a driver. I've a short clip of her overtaking my mate in his Elise, sideways. Sweet!
true.. Sabine is the ring queen.. and a great driver..

but..

she has a lot of local track knowledge to count on..

is she better than a Finnish rally driver through a forest of ice/snow, or a Formula driver pulling 4g's in the parabolica of Monza?

each one is expert in a precise area of driving.. and the Paris competition during new year is perhaps the closest to see who has the best overall car control..

Personally, I vote for Rally drivers as being top..just from my experience.

I was very lucky to have the chance of being a passenger in a WRC mitsubishi on a Finnish winter test.. probably one of the few times I have got out of a car looking very green
Old 10-18-2005, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by BenHampton,Oct 18 2005, 11:54 PM
rotors? sheesh, Richard this is a BRITISH forum! : )
yeah..OK

but I am mailing this from my American keyboard..from my American corporate office.. it kind of translates as I type..

I don't even have a sterling key it's all $$$$
Old 10-18-2005, 07:16 AM

Hmm, I have an Irish keyboard (Dell), work for a French owned bank (Societe Generale) and live on an English island (Jersey).

So i guess that means I type bullsh!t. : )
Old 10-18-2005, 07:22 AM

That meana you type fecking arse merde Ben!

So I don't need to upgrade my brakes then? I just need to stamp on them harder? Heh heh! I did manage to kill my rear pads before my fronts so that would make sense Kobe
Old 10-18-2005, 07:25 AM

And just finished watching another lap that had corner names in it. I'ts Hohe Acht, Wipperman and Brunchen that I need to watch out for. The rear tends to get a bit loose. But I do like that.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:25 AM

Just my 2p but I would bring extra pads and leave it at that.

The only time I ate my rear pads (and took a bite out of the fronts) is when I did several back-to-back Ring laps a few trips ago. Didn't allow it to cool down properly (and it was a hot summer day) and my rears went from 700 miles on them, down to the wear indicators in one trip.

LLOYDJ had to replace his pads from doing the same at Easter. But I've found if you do the cool-down drive, your pads will be good for 2 trips, plus intervening mileage at home.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:27 AM

Hohe Acht is ok, but the line does tighten a bit. That's where Andy (SBC) tends to start catching me up, the git. Brunnchen is worth being tidy as you *really* don't want to run wide right in front of the spectators.

Quick Reply: Easter Ring Meet 2006 - 14th -18th April 2006