I'll host it if you send it over then Ben
Old 10-18-2005, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'll check it out when I get home and see if I can send you the via

Maybe via MSN, Darren?
Old 10-18-2005, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news everyone.

I'll be upgrading my brakes for the ring. new braided lines, new fluid, probably some new pads and maybe some new lighter disks. It'll be my first ever mod.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:32 AM

great Futurama reference, matey!

can't hurt to have uprated brakes for the Ring, but only really worthwhile if you've spent the time learning the track, so you can get the most out of them!

hehehe
Old 10-18-2005, 05:44 AM

Never hurts to have better brakes as you say. But at some point on a track day i managed to make my brakes spongy. And I think it was the ring. I'm quite hard on brakes.

But I've put plenty of time into the ring on GT4 now, so the back half is more fluid for me. Everything came together pretty quickly last time, so more practice and watching videos of laps and mentally doing the lap is my preparation.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:52 AM

IMHO brakes is an issue that hugely depends on what type of driver you are.

My mate used to have a Scooby and took it round the Ring quite a bit. He was TERRIBLE on the brakes, leaving it very, very late then stamping on them, before nailing it out of the corner.

He had to upgrade the brakes 3 or 4 times until he ended up with practically Group N brakes before he was happy that they wouldn't melt by Brunnchen. He even managed to crack a disk all the way though!

I'm quite different. I did uprate the brakes on my Saxo VTS to EBC Greenstuff and they were good, but I've got no complaints at all with the standard S2000's brakes. Yeah, it would be helpful to have vented rears, but a good cool-down lap (or drive) works well enough for me.

At the risk of sounding like an old man, you don't need to come into every corner of the Ring with your wheels on fire, toasting the brakes and hurling yourself into the steering wheel. A good portion of brakes - at the right time - is all you need. Scrub off the excess speed and take a smooth line through the corner. Easier on the car and - if you do it right - faster overall as well.

Plus its funny as fcuk to have someone kill their brakes by trying to impress you with their late braking, only for you to carry much more speed through the corner and sail past them on the exit as they desperately try to get back up to speed. Muppets.

: )
Old 10-18-2005, 06:05 AM

I think I'm hard on brakes less because I'm late braking but I tend to brake progressively. So I'm on the brakes maybe too long, trying to keep the car reasonably settled. Somehow, I've managed to make them spongy and I think the cables and fluid should do the trick. But the discs and pads are more of a "whilst I'm there" kind of thing.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:08 AM

i've got brand new disks on the front, and new pads all round, plus a spare set of pads for F & R. Should still be in good enough nick for Easter, especially as I won't be driving the car much between mid-December and end Jan.

(no, not laying the car up for winter, i'm spending some time in Florida and in South Africa, so won't be using the car)

not relevant to this thread, but what the heck
Old 10-18-2005, 06:20 AM

I've got bedford and if I haven't done the brakes by then, I want to try them out at a track day before going to the 'ring. Not the best place to be learning a new tweak IMHO.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:49 AM

Just watched a cool lap of sabine in the old ring taxi being followed by a GT3. It's amazing to see how annoying the bikes can be. And that she's obviously having loads of fun throwing it around, deliberately making the tail slide.

Quick Reply: Easter Ring Meet 2006 - 14th -18th April 2006