UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Easter Ring Meet 2006 - 14th -18th April 2006

Old 03-09-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTFCTIM,Mar 9 2006, 04:28 PM
I read every word in the Direct Line insurance policy I had last year, and could find no wording in it that said I wouldn't be insured.
I was CERTAIN that last year, they were excluding derestricted toll roads from their insurance... I'll be damned if I can find it now, though!

Typical...

Perhaps I'll specifically ask if there are any exclusions, as I can't find them in the document - and record the telephone message. Skype ahoy!
Old 03-09-2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by BenHampton,Mar 9 2006, 10:01 AM
Neil955 - were you there when Jorund died, then? that must have been awful, if so...

Actually, the one time a biker came with us, he dropped it into Brunnchen and knocked himself unconscious, writting his brand new R6 off in the process. But no injuries thank god.

You're right, though. The best driver in the world can't do much if someone has lost it around a fast, blind corner - and there are plenty of naff drivers out there, too.
yes, we were there the same week as him.

but he is not the only person to die, and he won't be the last.

i was going round a corner there last year and a gold binned it in front of me. luckily he bounced into the banking and then straight off again. 2 seconds later i went through the space he bounced away from.

abt 4 years ago, my mate binned his bike on a blind hill. he ws busy wondering why the crowds were on the bend... think he found out afterward: they were there to watch the accidents!

i had a crash, not at the ring, but on the way back. Rain belting down, worn tyres, totally fatigued from a week long fun, collided with a car, ended up in Hospital with fractured vertebra.

So be warned, whilst the circuit is dangerous, so is the drive home, with both you and the car being tired.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing is, The Ring is a public road, and to satisfy the minimum legal requirements for insurance they have to cover ALL public roads. Not covering the Ring is like saying you're insured anywhere in the UK except the M1, and that then doesn't count as the minimum cover you're legally required to have.

What's a bit more of a grey area is that the legal requirement is for 3rd party only. You're automatically insured 3rd party only in Europe, but usually you have to tell them to activate your comprehensive insurance and maybe they can get away with not insuring you fully comp in certain places.

Another issue is one of human rights, and that's by excluding a certain place they're effectively restricting the movement of EU citizens within the EU, which they're not allowed to do.

I think the general wisdom is that you are covered, but you might have to argue about it a bit more. One thing I was told is to to strike a deal with the insurance company where you pay for the armco (yes you have to pay for the armco if you damage it), and they're more likely not to challenge the rest of the claim.

I'll have a read of my insurance documents too as I've changed insurers since last year. But there was nothing in mine last year, but then there was nothing in there that says you're not insured on trackdays, which I think is implied.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:13 PM

On a happier note, just think of the thrill that the ring gives compares to a normal track. It's not too hard to get the mettle of a normal track say 13 corners. However 13 miles of fantastic corners, is like the thrill of a rally special stage, with the advantages of a circuit.

In fact, I think I'll go break out GT4 now so I can get a bit more practice in. I want to go around the whole circuit without any corners surprising me.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by GTFCTIM,Mar 9 2006, 11:47 PM
Whats your assumption based on?
nothing particularly.. other than because it is in continental europe.. a UK insurance company might try and revert to the minimum coverage in the event of a dispute.

all the other countries within mainland europe are a bit more grown up about this.. they expect cars to travel around the EU and don't care too much where the car is registered and driven. I am constantly driving in other countries like France, Germany, Holland.. it's simply impractical to enforce things like the UK companies do.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:34 AM

A large number of American insurers exclude New York from their policies!!

Just a bit of mindless trivia.

My Archos adaptor arrived today, so filming could be back on the cards, but I wont have the chance to do a test run for a week or two now

Ben my party is definately down to four for the meal now, two in the NSX and two in the TT.

If any one wants a spare single room at the Berghotel (could be a twin but booked as single) please let me know before I phone Frank and cancel the reservation.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:00 AM

Calling GrantedS2K - you could have a room!!!!
Old 03-11-2006, 03:46 AM

sportyking: PM sent.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:11 AM

more snow dumped on the track since yesterday

come on sunshine !!!
Old 03-12-2006, 05:51 AM

Well there's a ton of snow in the UK now. Getting better again at GT4. No "lost" moments where you can't remember what the next corner is.

Quick Reply: Easter Ring Meet 2006 - 14th -18th April 2006