UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Easter Ring Meet 2006 - 14th -18th April 2006

Old 02-27-2006, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-27-2006, 06:34 AM

Ok - I got to page ten on this thread and agreed with many of the statements that there is very good stuff on thread............even if punctuated by utter b0llocks!

So - apart from booking ferries, hotel, playing GT4 and reading a fair bit....... anything else I should be doing before I take the Tiv onto the 'Green Hell'
Old 02-27-2006, 07:02 AM

I always spend a small amount of money buying "get your car home if everything goes pear-shaped" breakdown insurance. Especially with a make of car (sometimes unfairly) known for unreliability - coupled with chest-wig levels of power and lack of safety/stability equipment.

Not having a pop at Trevors, but I would get that for ANY car, regardless of make, age, condition or driver ability.

It gives you that tiny bit of reassurance that, should things go tits-up, you can get yourself, your other half and the sad looking remains of your car back home. (God forbid that happens to any of us, of course)

Other than the above and the things you mentioned, all you need to do now is count down the days, like the rest of us sad puppies!
Old 02-27-2006, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rralston,Feb 27 2006, 05:34 PM
Ok - I got to page ten on this thread and agreed with many of the statements that there is very good stuff on thread............even if punctuated by utter b0llocks!

So - apart from booking ferries, hotel, playing GT4 and reading a fair bit....... anything else I should be doing before I take the Tiv onto the 'Green Hell'
most people seem to be getting the car in good shape before taking on the ring.. the lap is long..so even if you do 15laps in a weekend.. it's plenty of circuit miles compared to a regular track day.

don't know how bad you chew through the brakes in that car.. but a spare set of pads is handy to have if you are not sure how many laps are left in them... and there seem to be either plenty of people with tools or local garages to help out.

you will need to decide if you are part of the "sticker" syndicate.. crtaltdel(NSX) will be along soon with the latest designs..

pack your anti-thomas aftershave..

learn enough german to order sausage and chips with mustard when watching the cars (near where that porsche flipped over.. )
Old 02-27-2006, 01:34 PM

Ah - good advice fellas I've had the European, get you home via quickest method, or put you up in a hotel jobby for the last year or so.

My S came back from Le Mans on the back of a transporter! Doh! :0

I'm getting the next 6000mile service done in mid March too - so brakes, oil, head tolerances etc will be checked. Tyres are ok, but I'll need a new set when I get back!

Brakes are pretty good - AP Racing versions as seen on the Red Rose versions - same as the 'firm' - see spine crunching suspension!

German? Funny you should say that as I spent four months studying in Hamburg a few years back - every bugger speaks English. I mean everyone - tramps on the street speak better English than my German!
Old 02-28-2006, 12:06 AM

My brake-eating mate with the Griffith had no worries with the brakes on his old beastie, but his chassis was a bit old and saggy, so he didn't have the confidence on very fast corners. Shouldn't be a problem for you, though!

Did you say the Berghotel was fully booked? Bloody hell - that should please Frank! Should argue for an even bigger discount this year...

In my experience, most of the locals speak more than adequate English (although often prefaced with "I'm sorry that my English is not as grammatically perfect as I would like"). hehehe

Plus, you really only need to know the numbers up to 5 (telling them the fuel pump number), how to order beer, schnitzel and schnapps, and saying yes, "its a TVR" in the pits. Oh, and "get the phuk out of my way, tourist boy".
Old 02-28-2006, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great.. you can be a translator for me

I know what you mean about English.. after living abroad for more than 10 years.. I am still very uni-lingual..

however despite the many foreign visitors to the ring.. these 2 old guys working in the sausage trailer.. don't understand a word of english.. so having german helps if you want the right food..

the trev sounds perfect - I like the use of the phrase "red rose" to mean more hardcore - I guess works in a UK context.. I wonder how many people understand that outside of UK.

can you adjust the suspension between road/track..? when I drive the honda on modified suspension.. (with more than double spring rate of the original car) it does not feel harsh or too tough to me.. however other people riding as passenger get a different impression..
Old 02-28-2006, 12:45 AM

Bugger!!! So Frank is all booked up now?!?!

Was going to send him a E-Mail this week and book a room, as I was going to bring my cousin along. Will have to look into other places, then.

Ben, any recommendations? I still can't confirm the trip as yet, as I have to see how much damage my trip to Hong Kong is going to cost me!!! 8-(

Will defo make the summer Ring trip, though!! :-)
Old 02-28-2006, 01:21 AM

I've assumed that was what Rich meant - bad luck, Alex.

Hmmm, barring one trip, we've always stayed at the Berghotel. The other time EVERYWHERE was fully booked so we stayed about 20miles away. Bit of a PITA, to be honest, being out of "just popping back to the hotel" range.

I would guess that most of the places near the Ring will be heavily booked, but you could check the places linked on Ben Lovejoy's website (ie Pistenclause, Sliders, etc).
Old 02-28-2006, 01:23 AM

*cough*

Ring sticker, Darren?

*cough*

: )

Quick Reply: Easter Ring Meet 2006 - 14th -18th April 2006