UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Drift Day at Oulton August 2nd

Old 08-03-2008 | 08:17 AM

Here are my suggestions for improvements for the next one Steve

Limit the number of cars to 25 tops.

The sighter laps require all of the instructors etc there, not even sure of the value of a sighter lap with an instructor to be honest but it took nearly 40 minutes for that to happen.

Queuing system would be much better if there were fewer cars.

Instructors should go out more often with people who don't know how to drift and not have an S bias (I know they can't help it ) instead of sitting in cars with people who are already experienced.

All in all a great day to be honest, and I feel if those things above were addressed the next would be even better, and I will most likely attend another if organised.

Maybe we could get enough from this forum for just an S2000 day!

Thanks for running this Steve, and it was good to meet you at the event.

Superb day!

EDIT :: Rick to answer your question regarding the tyres. I had brand new (less than 200 miles) RE050's on I just checked them this morning and they are 7.5 - 8mm and I think brand new tyres are 8mm? So approx 0.5mm of tread used.
Old 08-03-2008 | 08:34 AM

[QUOTE=t11ner,Aug 3 2008, 04:48 PM]I think everyone found tyre wear to be virtually zero except for Nick (Easy007) and Puppy who managed to get a bit of extra heat into them with their driving styles
Old 08-03-2008 | 09:28 AM

Another couple of thousand in them easy.....
Old 08-03-2008 | 10:32 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Thanks Steve, it was a top day and I loved every second of it.

I too vote for an all "S" drift day.

Can't wait for the next one............

Who has some video?

Kiwi
Old 08-03-2008 | 11:35 AM

I think everyone's comments speak for themselves, it was an excellent day I thoroughly enjoyed myself and my mate Rich in his Tuscan did to. Nice to have a quick chat with a few of you guys. Anyway when's the next one ?
Good pics so far, anyone got some decent video footage ?
Old 08-03-2008 | 11:39 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Glad to see that you all seem to have had a good time

In answer to some of the above comments......

Unfortunately, limited numbers means more cost, we actually only had 26 or 27 cars signed in so to make a serious difference in queues it would probably have to drop to a max perhaps of 20? This would probably mean a cost of about
Old 08-03-2008 | 11:46 AM
Banned

I told the instructor, any time you are bored, or if no one is asking you for help, I always want pointers, or just someone that knows what there doing to pick up on my mistakes.

So anytime he was free, he jumped in and have me a few pointers.

But towards the end of the day, both the instructors were spending more time in my car than me.
One told me to handbrake into a bend, the other tol me to scandi flick it in.

Conversation persued, off they both went in my S.. 3 laps later i got my car back

But they really were both excellent. They did not want you to do it THERE WAY !! but help you improve your way.

Could not ask for better instructors I dont think.

Ohh and yes the track REALLY IS that slippy !!!

Entire day on the track... all i managed to do was ...

And i think we all know i was giving it some
Old 08-03-2008 | 11:55 AM
Banned

A few vids..

Sorry passenger kept holding onto the car instead of holding the camera up

Old 08-03-2008 | 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Puppy,Aug 3 2008, 08:46 PM
One told me to handbrake into a bend, the other tol me to scandi flick it in.

Conversation persued, off they both went in my S.. 3 laps later i got my car back
I was only really using the handbrake in 3 places

1st gear then into second before turn 2 as you already know and then drift all the way round turn 3. I notice from your vid you were feathering round 3 whereas i was on full throttle in 2nd all the way round
Take a wide line out of 3 and allow the car to transition ready for the kink before 4. Grab a little handbrake to keep the car sideways for the kink then transition into turn 4 and then 5.
If you were like me then the hairpin 6 was a right 'mare all day and i mostly resorted to going into it and doing a circular skid for the crowd then coming out of it with the tyres fully lit up and smoke everywhere slow but effective.
This meant i had to nip the handbrake before turn 7 to get the thing sideways and drift the corner (still in 2nd at this point) with plenty of throttle to keep it sideways for long enough to allow a small nip of handbrake to keep it sideways into turn 8.
Allow it to transition into turn 9 and drift to the outer edge of the track on full throttle leaving big chunks of Goodyear Eagle GSD2 all over the place.

As a matter of interest Puppy are you running a lot of negative camber on the rear? I assume the wear was on the inside of the tyre. I know thats the reason mine fell part on the inside only but saying that i don't think the tread pattern is designed to run sideways. The long thin strips of tread for the V pattern seem to rip away quite easily compared to a more block like pattern.
Old 08-03-2008 | 03:13 PM
Banned

I was not feathering unless i had over turned, i kept 1st gear out of corner 2, and changed into 2nd during transition to corner 3.

Just for the " BANG BANG BANG " on corner 2

Yeah, 6 ( hairpin ) was a pain all day for me 2. Even whe you got it right, it was still no a nice corner, i also took it wider and span her around towards the second half of the day. mainly because i was dissapearing into yoru smoke clouds, figured id join in.

Im runnging 2 deg neg camber on the rear, setup only for this day. I didnt know how slippy this track was gonna be. . .

The handbrake vs flick corner i was refering to was on track 2.

On T1 pictured above:

Spin into the 1st corner, and keep 1st through c2, i would change during transitioninto corner 3, and power on till the clipping point approaching 4, into 4 off gas, with a little throttle to bring it around on 5, and gas on comming up the hill to the hairpin, then idle over the hairpin ( and slide wode or spin ) full chat down to 7, and i foudn myself drppong the cluth on 7 rather than e-braking, not sure why ... Full gas flick into 8 and an easy ride on the camber back to the start

I spent more time on T2 because the line was a LOT shorter

Quick Reply: Drift Day at Oulton August 2nd