UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Brands Hatch Track Day Feburary

Old 01-30-2008, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brands Hatch Track Day Feburary

Hi,

There are two track days in Feb at Brands Hatch, one on Friday 22nd and the other on Monday the 25th. Is anyone going to either of these trackdays?

I'm thinking about going on the 25th but if other people are doing the 22nd I'll do that one instead.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 01-30-2008, 01:04 PM

Was toying with the 25th - need to look at cashflow....
Old 01-31-2008, 01:19 PM

I'll be booking a spot on the 25th. Bit less convenient for me but cheaper.

Dreamer, let me know if you're going. Ditto if anyone else is going.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 02-16-2008, 12:35 PM

The 25th was booked out. They opened a new day on the 27th (Wed) and I've booked myself on that. Anyone else up for some fine Kentish track in late Feb?

Matt
Old 02-16-2008, 12:44 PM

I am, but the bank account isn't.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:00 PM

I couldn't do the 25th cos of work, will check diary but toying with a test day instead....
Old 03-04-2008, 01:02 PM

So who's a plonker then? (Hint: he's writing this post). Why? Well what should you check before going on any track day? Answer at the end.

Weather for the track day last week was superb for this time of year. Everything was set for a good day. I'd got the roll bar in and seats back in. I'd removed or reduced the coolant leak from the heater hoses. I'd got the datalogger installed to a workable state with signals for throttle, RPM, brake on/off.

Arrived, got a garage, got briefed, sighting laps done. Went out for a couple of quick sessions. I was taking things slowly in the first hour, getting used to the car and ensuring things were working fine, probably 20 mins track time. It was mostly going fine, the gear change takes some getting used to (close gate from 1-2 & 3-4 but a bit wider to 5-6, it also sticks down after putting it into reverse which is disconcerting when going across to 5th and going all the way across the gate (lucky I didn't need to put it into 6th as that'd be reverse!). A bit of grease should fix that I hope. I was pretty rough in all respects but getting smoother.

Decided to go for a longer session and concentrate more on driving the car and getting up to speed. Had a reasonably good session and happy I was getting smoother and using the car more. Session was red flagged so pulled into the pits and noticed a bit of brake noise. Checked the rear pads and the left hand caliper had lost its friction material, it didn't wear down there was plenty of meat on the other pads the material just broke off! Decided to check the fronts and they were almost worn to the metal! Well I had new front pads....but they were in the garage at home. After some emergency ringing around there was no one that stocked Tarox pads any where in the South East so that was my day over just over an hour after it started. Plonker! (My only feeble defence is that when first looking at the car I checked service history on the car with the dealer that was holding it and the last job that had been done was pads. I always had this in the back of my mind and never thought to check!)

Still I did at least get to have over 30mins of track time in the car and I loved it! Had loads of fun even if I wasn't as smooth as needed and doing the car justice. Didn't feel as powerful as I thought but datalogger stats show that horsepower is in the right region (230) but that's very much an estimate as I need to weigh the car and do a proper run. Grip was pretty good, diff worked a treat at speed, rear tyres are touching sills when suspension compressed (paddock hill), sounded nice from the drivers seat.

Booked in for a track day at Goodwood on the 21st of April for my next track outing (any takers?) and a bunch of competitive events in between (sprints and solo's).

Matt
Old 03-04-2008, 01:42 PM

Matt,
well done on finally getting that beast out on track!
If you need a set of stock pads for spares, I've got a set of part worn and another set of pristine pads that I've never used. They've rolled around in the back of the S on the off chance that I might need them after a track day!

Oh, the humanity...
Old 03-04-2008, 11:37 PM

[QUOTE=kartaphilos,Mar 4 2008, 10:02 PM] it also sticks down after putting it into reverse which is disconcerting when going across to 5th and going all the way across the gate (lucky I didn't need to put it into 6th as that'd be reverse!).
Old 03-05-2008, 11:18 AM

Hey useful, Thanks for the pads offer but I already stocked up that day. Also purchased a spare set of front ones. I don't think I'll be without spare pads for a track day again!!

Lucky, I'll have a look at that plastic bit. I assume I get to that just by removing center console?

Matt

Quick Reply: Brands Hatch Track Day Feburary