Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Why don't local S2K drivers "drive" together???

Old 10-06-2002, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why don't local S2K drivers "drive" together???

I'm bound to be burned by this post, but here goes anyway. I've had my Honda since April and love driving it more than any other car I can recall, including my former Z3. But the fun of driving a great car like the S2K is multiplied when enjoyed with others who share the same passion. That's what the Z3 group had, passion for their cars and sharing it with each other. I miss that. I expected to find similar comraderie with the S2K organization.

But, I've been disappointed by the lack of driving events, weekend drives, trips beyond the Metroplex for the sheer pleasure of driving in the countryside, with other S2K drivers in front and behind me.

The emphasis seems to be 'dining out' and 'social events.' What happened to 'driving'? After all, these are DRIVER'S cars. You'd be surprised how many good roads we have within an hour or so's driving time. Sorry, resturants just don't do it for me. And autocross is too rough on my car to attempt, best left to the youthful drivers.

Oklahoma, Arkansas, New Mexico, and of course the Hill Country offer some great driving thrills. But I haven't seen any events going in those directions.

Joining the Z3 owners group brought a newsletter in the mail each quarter and an invite to a national Homecoming each year in SC hosted by BMW NA.
BMWCCA charges the same dues I paid to the S2K N TX group- but they provide a slick 160 page monthly Roundel magazine, and host a national gathering each year for members. It may simply be a matter of the short life of the S2KI, that it hasn't had time to evolve into an owners group with more services. Hopefully, as the ranks of owners swell, so will the organization and its benefits.
Meanwhile, I wish our local group would provide more opportunitys to enjoy our cars and each other. Am I the only one who feels this way??? Aren't we missing some driving fun?

GeneB
Old 10-06-2002, 07:51 PM

Dear Gene,

I, like you enjoy driving the car and look for opportunities to do just that. Later this month will be doing our third driving event (not including the four autocrosses and two trips to Al's lake house and the spirited drives around the lake). The first two driving events were rally's which did get you out in the country to a degree. The third event will follow the detailed route you e-mailed me several months ago. It looks like a great route and should be fun for all.

Our goal as a club is to do a variety of events throughout the year with some being focused more on the car (driving) and some being focused more on building relationships/sharing information within our club. If you are up to helping organize S2K club drives, I would welcome the help.

Have you been getting the bi-monthly newsletters?
Old 10-07-2002, 07:03 AM

Yes, I've been getting the newsletters. Maybe the rallies were before I joined, because I haven't seen any. I look forward to the group drive when it's announced.
There's a great route in AR than starts with the famed Talimena Drive in OK that would be especially fun when the leaves turn. But that would require a weekend trip. I have maps for that, too.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:51 AM

There's another Hill Country drive this weekend that was posted in this forum for a while now. Further details can be found in the Central Texas forum. Of course the NT folks were invited to drive with us.
The drive is in two or more stages with options for individual tastes. The extreme route covers 500 mile over two days. A day trip and shorter options are planned as well. I wouldn't want to miss this one.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Our next Saturday meet and drive is Oct. 19th! See you there...
Old 10-13-2002, 03:19 PM

I just returned from two of the most enjoyable days I've ever spent with my car and the Central Texas S2000 community. Chris S. put together a fantastic route that included some of the twistiest scenic roads to be found in the Texas Hill Country. Along the way we were treated to an unplanned driving tour of an exotic game ranch complete with Lemurs, Giraffes and Emus compliments of a kind rancher that saw us gawking from outside the main gate. Lost Maples State Park provided a much needed hike after many hours of driving. Our accomodations at Leaky Springs (pronounced "Lake-ee") included a riverside deck for after dinner conversations into the early hours of the morning.
Don't let the three hour (or less) trip to the Hill Country stop you from experiencing what the S2000 was made for. There are more bed and breakfasts, cabins, and campsites in the region than can be counted (hundreds in the Kerrville area alone). Just remember you have friends in the CenTex area if you want to plan a drive down here.
Closer to home a day trip to Grandbury-Glen Rose and Chalk Mountain Rd. is within a few hours of DFW with Dinosaur State Park and other attractions in the immediate area like Pate Museum of Transportation and Motorsport Ranch.
Check out the pictures from the drive later this week.