Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Tread life on the Potenza S-02's?

Old 04-05-2002, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tread life on the Potenza S-02's?

While having a foreign object removed from my left front tire at Discount Tire last week (which fortunately didn't even puncture the tire), I asked the tech to make sure that I hadn't picked up anything in the other 3 tires. When we walked around to the rear tires, he noticed that my tread indicators are beginning to show.

My S2000 is less than a year old, only has 7300 miles on it, and I drive it fairly gently as I have to rely on it as my daily driver. Is there anyone else out there who has noticed this? I know these are high performance tires, but I would expect better life out of them than this! BTW, the front tires has considerably more tread on them.

And no, I haven't rotated them, as I'm following Honda's maintenance specifications. According to my service flyer from John Eagle, this doesn't happen until next week when it has its 7500 mile service.

Jason
Old 04-05-2002, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember, if you do rotate the tires, you need to have them dismounted from the wheels and only the tires will swap sides. They are directional tires and different size wheels/tires on front and rear.

More aggressive driving = less miles on the OEM S02's. Watch out for replacements and go with Tire Rack to get the correct OEM S02 replacements when the time comes. Some say that is at 8000 miles, and others can streach it to 17K miles.

Regarding your puncture wound on your tire - if it didn't go all the way through the tire, did they at least patch and plug it? Usually if a nail goes through a tire partially, then its necessary to push the hole all the way through. If the repair guy didn't do this, then there is a chance of the tire separating because a pocket of air will be created inbetween the layers of treads.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In additon to what Schatten said... yes, this is fairly normal. The S02's as a result of their high performance wear quickly. When racing, I generally only get about 2 races out of them plus 1000-1500 miles of street driving. They go quickly.

Another factor is the alignment, which is fairly aggressive. If you are looking for utlimate wear characteristics, you can go with a custom alignment. Handling will be decreased, but... so will it be if you go with less sticky tires.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:46 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Maybe I like to live dangerously, but I've gotten 15k miles out of each of my first two sets, which included several track/autocross events. Remember the drought we had the summer of 2000? When it started raining again that fall, the car was incredibly twitchy on wet pavement. By for all that dry stuff we had, it was fine.
Old 04-05-2002, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, you must drive like a grandmother. My stockers were shot up front at 4k miles which included 2 autocrosses and one John Eagle event. They were so bad at JE that I had to "rent" someone's stockers.

This second set I got had about 70% of it's tread left and I just removed that after 3000 miles and the last autocross. I'll need to change them before I can race again.

I think it's time to move to some 400 treadwear bricks.
Old 04-05-2002, 04:04 PM

I managed to get 6500 miles out of my rear S02s, while my fronts at that mileage looked as though they still had more than half of their tread left. FWIW, this included about 7 autoX events and one two-day track event. Somehow that strikes me as excessive wear for a street tire, but I have to admit that they were among the stickiest stock tires I've ever had the pleasure of cording
Old 04-05-2002, 07:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by marcucci
Mark, you must drive like a grandmother. My stockers were shot up front at 4k miles which included 2 autocrosses and one John Eagle event. They were so bad at JE that I had to "rent" someone's stockers.
At the autocross, you beat me by only 0.25 seconds. You do the math.
Old 04-05-2002, 07:47 PM

Try the Dunlop 8000's.....They are 200AA, and they grip really well in the wet as well as the dry....and you can get two full sets for the price of one set of S-02's.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:12 AM

Working on getting 12K + out of the rear tires...

This rain today was the first time the car started getting twitchy on the roads...

Almost time for new ones...

Old 04-06-2002, 10:19 AM

Almost 10,000 miles on the car, and the rears are getting a little like a hovercraft. Wear bars are meeting the road. Has anyone tried the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on the back with the OEM's on the front? The fronts look in good shape so can't see replacing them, but don't want a mismatch problem either.

Quick Reply: Tread life on the Potenza S-02's?