Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Torn with a decision...

Old 07-15-2007, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn with a decision...

Well if you do not know yet, My car broke down on the way home from the lake day.

details here
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry11009551

and the updated details...

Thanks to viet, We found out the spark plug in the #3 cly i think (2nd from the back) backed enough to where the heat melted the Ignition coil that practically desintergrated the coil then blew my iginition fuse.

We pulled out the coil which was no easy feat because it was melted in the damn spark plug tube. The plug was completely destoryed and i believe some debris fell in the cyl. I'm awaiting a new coil to see if the car still runs after an oil change.

The plug backing out was due to the previous owner cross-threading the #3 cly, i noticed it when i did my first plug change, and asked some people and they told me it would be ok....50k miles later this happens....oh well.

Sooo moving forward. I essentially have 4 options

Drive the car with the fixed coil until it happens again. (that's if that's all i need)
Replace head and drive car until the Short block dies (possible due to debris from damage)
Replace entire engine
Or Fix coil and trade it in...

Most likely I will replace the head Or Trade it in

I want to keep the car, and there's nothing in my price range that i can afford and will enjoy driving. I do have alot of neg. equity that will be rolled into the next car. So my options would have to be a under 20k econocrap box that isn't fun. Unless Scott can work some magic at the dealership But all signs point to no.

What to do!!!! I am curious if a g35 6spd sedan is enjoyable enough....hmm...
Old 07-16-2007, 05:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostedtaco,Jul 16 2007, 12:40 AM
The plug was completely destoryed and i believe some debris fell in the cyl.
The debris fell in the cylinder while you were removing the plug, or while the engine was running? If it happened while you were removing the plug, I'd recommend replacing the head (used ones go for <1K on eBay) and just making sure the cylinder is clean when you pull the head off.

Originally Posted by Boostedtaco
I do have alot of neg. equity that will be rolled into the next car.
You've had the car long enough to put 50K miles on it, but you still have negative equity? If you have to get rid of the car, at least buy something that you don't have to borrow more than it's worth when you drive it off the showroom floor.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:50 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Civic Si can be had for $20K. Decent car for the money and supposed to be pretty fun to drive.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Civic Si can't carry more than $4377 worth of Negative Equity, assuming the car is Selling @ MSRP of course. An Accord However can Carry Almost $11K worth of it.
I don't know what to tell you. You have probably the highest milage S2000 I've ever seen, and you owe a bit on it. Ultimately you can always trade it - but what is your next car payment going to look like?

Be cautious of USED cars, you have to buy them right. You need to buy one below avg. Auction. Used cars have a much harder time carrying negative equity.

Your problem will be you're driving an S2000 that's probably not worth more than $11K-$12K in Decent condition. If you can limp it over here and no one notices your "problem" it still might be worth it. If they catch it - it's probably worth even less. The question is - Do you want to spend more money on a car that won't be worth anymore when you're finished? If you owe $18K do you want to Pay $18K for a car that's worth $12K?

Personally I'd sell all my goodies off the car (looks like you are) Sell it privately for as much as you can and payoff the difference to your bank.

I can hook you up on an Si sedan or something. I'd recommend the EX for as much as you drive. You'll tear that Si up.

Decisions, Decisions.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been toying with the idea of selling the RX-8, and it's well within your price range. PM me if you're interested.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are there is cylinder wall damage and it will be hard to maintain compression or proper oiling in that cylinder. Best case it would burn a little in that cylinder.

I have a complete F20C that needs a little work that I will sell for a fair price. I've also got a F20C bottom end that needs rebuilding plus a damaged rod & possibly a crank that I will part with for what I have in it ($400).
Old 07-16-2007, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by marcucci,Jul 16 2007, 12:18 PM
Chances are there is cylinder wall damage and it will be hard to maintain compression or proper oiling in that cylinder. Best case it would burn a little in that cylinder.
That's exactly what i was thinking about when we opened up the valve cover to taking out the coil. Man, the coil was frying up bad that it stuck in the spark plug cylinder like super glue. Well, after 20 minutes we finally got it lose. The plug was definetly cross threaded and somehow got loose overtime and it shoot straight up into the coil pack so hard that the tip was bent to one side. I had never seen a coil pack and spark plug fryed up like that. Well, here's what we know so far:

Check the retainers and it was all look fine.
Turned the crank to check on the valve adjustment and seen to be in it specs(0.011 exhaust & .009 intake. Check the gap myself with valve adjustment tool) and the crank turned on all cylinders with no locking up.
Was going to check the compression but the heat was killing us, and so we decided to wait.
What worry me is that there's some debris (like sand shaving or metal shaving)...could be from the coil pack when it got fryed. Other than that the engine seen....and i mean SEEN to be ok since i am not an expert, lol. Well, i guess we'll have to wait until Tuesday when the parts come in. In the meantime i guess boostedtaco can go ahead and makes a deal with Todd on the head just incase if it's a drop valve......which i doubt it.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by marcucci,Jul 16 2007, 02:18 PM
Oh ok, i see. If it the best case, how much life would be left in the short block?

I hope i win this ebay auction for the head. Then i would say my fate is sealed....
Old 07-16-2007, 04:46 PM

Yeah, i'm worried about rolling in that neg. equity into another car and pay 18k for a car that's worth 12.

If i could trade my car in for a corrolla or civic worth 10k and have the difference value between the s2k help me out, would be nice.

Also, my 5th gear is notchy at times and one day i'mma need to replace that too....Geez

Any tips for selling my car, As it is....privately?

Who wants to be my used car advisor!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 04:57 PM

Also!

Does anyone know of someone that's AVAILABLE that can install a head? for a decent price of course!

Quick Reply: Torn with a decision...