Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

System on stock radio?

Old 05-04-2008, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System on stock radio?

ok im starting to order stuff for a system i want to install it useing the factory headunit...i know it can be done does any one know how or can any one send to a how to link?

so far a have ordered a alpine type R 10 i alrdy know where im getting my box...open to amp suggestions...
Old 05-05-2008, 05:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll either need an amp that accepts line level inputs, or you'll need a converter to convert line level inputs to whatever it is that normal amps accept. AFAIK, the stock head unit doesn't have pre-amp outputs.

There's an electronics forum on this board that would probably have all the answers you seek:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=26
Old 05-05-2008, 09:23 AM

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/products...ng-An-Amplifier

Something like the sni-35 would do what you need, just solder it into the speaker wires and it gives you 2 RCA outputs.... however a new headunit will give you a much better sound, but this will still sound better than stock... but depending on your new exhaust it may not sound great anyway, i took mine out when i got my invidia... just a heads up
Old 05-05-2008, 09:24 AM

sorry forgot to add... let me know if you need anything else i've got some experience with car stereo/electronics stuff
Old 05-05-2008, 10:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are better off starting with a quality head unit. The factory unit is just not up to snuff. Go to the Electronics part of this forum for all those questions. I am also in the process of building mine and all my questions and more have been answered after reading them!
Old 05-05-2008, 11:24 AM

As the others have said, get a new head unit first... it'll pay off. You can still use the side controls if you get an adapter (I use modifry's and it works great).

I must say, I'm a bit surprised to see that you're already purchasing parts when it seems you haven't done all the research needed for this project. I'll be glad to help if you have any more specific questions, but the general ones have been covered 100+ times in the electronics forum. (You can get there by clicking on the badge for that section under my signature)
Old 05-05-2008, 01:23 PM

well thanks all this is not my first time around the block i have installed systems on all three of my cars plus i have helped out count less friends install systems...just never done it on a oem head unit...

i wana keep the factory head unit cuz 1 the side controls and 2 i alrdy have a ipod adapter...
Old 05-05-2008, 02:20 PM

Bought mine used and it already had a Pioneer head unit and a modifry thingie to keep the controls working. Had to figure out the modifry thingie, it had apparently became unhooked to the head unit when i had bought the car so had to pull the radio and plug it back in.

J/Tharg!
Old 05-05-2008, 03:21 PM

i got the alpine alpine ida-x001 for 200 shipped including the ipod adapter and adapter to hook into the dash controls, if you watch for a deal it is more than worth it.... you can even get a head unit that isnt as awesome but still does the job for like half that...
Old 05-05-2008, 04:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a used Alpine CDA-9887 for $260...that is their top of the line mp3 cd player which retails for $400. I bought the Modifry plug and play harness and now I have even more controls with the buttons to the left of the wheel. Installation took 20 minutes...

I also bought a used Alpine PDX 4.150 amp for $300 which retails for $700. I bought both off s2000 forums. Hunting is worth it. That is almost $100 less than the ebay price!

Now I just need to decide on what wiring and component speakers I want...

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quick Reply: System on stock radio?