Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Smart Car Discussion

Old 05-20-2008, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Smart Car Discussion

Well, I saw one of those Smart FourTwos in the Goody Goody liquor store parking lot yesterday. I parked next to it so I could compare the sizes... holy wow that thing is short! I think you can get two of those things end-to-end and the S is still longer. ) The reviews have been pretty good for this thing. I'd almost consider one but I travel too far on the freeway. If I only commuted in the neighborhood, I think I'd probably get one or one of those street legal golf-carts that Ford builds. With the Smart FourTwo in the garage, I could convert part of the garage to another room for the house, and still have room for the car, my workshop and still have a little room to spare! I know these things are all over Europe but you think they'll catch on here? I've seen several in Plano already. I know the DFW area is such a commuting metroplex, its anybodys call.

What do you think?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw one on my commute the other day (driving down Renner in Richardson). If your commute is all done on side streets (<45mph), I think this thing would be a perfect commuter. I doubt I'll be picking one up, though. I'd rather have a Fit.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:27 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been seeing more and more of them. Even cruising highway 380 at speed. Anyway, not sure if I'd look in to one if I needed a new car or not.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:17 PM

I sat in one of these at the auto show and they are surprisingly roomy for what it is. From the outside it looks ridiculously small but inside it's really not all that bad. If it were me I'd probably feel safer in a motorcycle, but neither would really be gas saving, especially if you daily drive the s2k.

Honestly though it would take a lot to get any new car to be worth the switch. Even if you drove 300 miles a week, averaged 22mpg in the s2k and 40 in the fortwo, and gas prices were $4.00 premium and $3.50 regular. You would still only save $1,358 a year in gas. Since a fortwo costs like $11k and not even including insurance and maintenance of two cars, it would take a while before you'd see any financial benefit.

If I was that worried about it, I would most likely buy an old civic or something, and then I'd at least have a car I could go to Costco with, it would get decent gas mileage and most likely cost a good amount less (assuming you aren't like that lady that just paid $7.5k for a '96 metro)
Old 05-20-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think they have enough gusto....I would have to try before I buy. It is an interesting car to say the least. I think it is cool that America is finally giving small cars and alternative modes of transport a chance!
Old 05-20-2008, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I placed my reservation on one on 5/07. Got the run around and b.s. answers for 10 months on when I would be getting the car (for my wife). Then I got the e-mail to configure the smart. Then a week later they added a spot on smarts web site when you would be getting the car. I punched in my e-mail and was told the first quarter of 2009. I am glad in December I talked my wife into a miata, I found a great deal on a 2006 with only 3600 miles on it. And she loves it. And it cost the same as the smart we were looking at getting. I drove a smart and was not impressed at all. It has a nice tall seating position but the transmission is crap. It got a great rating in the crash test. But the milage is not even close to being worth it.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice, I really like the new NC MX-5. You should join us on dfwmiata.com if you haven't already.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:34 PM

drive a SMART, look like a DUMBASS
Old 05-20-2008, 02:58 PM

I know the guy that got the first smart car in america, he imported it from germany a few years ago. I sold them a 32 inch TV at my first job, hes about 75 and put the tv in the passenger seat and made his wife sit in the back cargo area all scrunched up (this is how i met him)

says he gets about 50MPG with only city driving, however due to epa regulations (thanks uncle sam) ones you buy in the US will get more like 30 to 35 realistically in city driving
Old 05-21-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower,May 20 2008, 02:23 PM
Nice, I really like the new NC MX-5. You should join us on dfwmiata.com if you haven't already.
I have checked out the site a few times. The NC miata has the better headroom, being 6"2" my head was against the top on the Mazda speed NB that I looked at before I found the NC that we purchased. And the NC has better torque over the rpm range than the turbo NB (my opinion). Plus the NC was a basic sport model with the suspension package, it handled just about as well as the S2000 just with 70 fewer horses.

Quick Reply: Smart Car Discussion