Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Sept 8th Autocross Registration Form

Old 08-28-2001, 06:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

First, the forms.

Word Doc

HTML version

We'd like to get people to register ahead of time so we can better judge the number of people who will be attending. So if you mail in the form to me, you get a $5 discount. We're also trying to promote the national club and our local chapter, so membership in those organizations gets you another $5 discount each.

Second, directions. Map.

Third, some of my thoughts on the event.
  • Schedule

Registration will close at 9:30am. First car on the track at 10:00am. Since we won't have 100+ cars like at some of the larger events, I expect we'll all have plenty of time to get lots and lots and lots of runs. My plan is to split up into two groups. Each group will get four runs while the other works, then switch off. Hopefully each run session will last about 45min, so if it's hot nobody has to spend too much time out in the sun. We'll have a break for lunch around noon, then continue on until 5pm. (Or later if people are really into things and want to continue on.)
  • Beginners

For those new to autocrossing, I'd like to steal from the local PCA region website their excellent writeup about autocrossing. http://vista.pca.org//mav/Autocross/Manual.htm Trust me, this will be a blast. I'd like to restate, btw, that a helmet is required.
  • Veterans

For those of you who have been to autocrosses before (PCA, ER, SCCA) this will be very familiar. Cones, corner workers, timing, run heat, work heat, all that jazz. I hope to put together a course that you'll find interesting.
  • Amenities

To be honest, at the actual site of the autocross there isn't diddly except a portapotty. (There's a Subway and McDonalds a short drive away, though.) We will provide a canopy thing to provide shade, plus a couple huge ice chests with water and sports drinks. Feel free to bring your own chairs, sun shades and the like.
  • Radios

We need help with radios for the corner workers. I'm bringing my Motorola Talkabout, and I'd like to ask that if you have an FRS radio, please bring it to help out.
  • Passengers

Got an SO or friend you want to give a thrill ride to, bring them along. I'm allowing passengers.
  • Umm.

Question, comments, concerns, please contact me.
Old 08-28-2001, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still hoping to make it out there to watch...do you still need me to bring my laptop out there for timing? If so, let me know so I can be sure to borrow some spare batteries from some friends (each battery is good for 1.5-2 hrs & I have 2).

Also, I'm running Win2K Pro; I'm not sure what the timing software runs on.

I'll let you know if I'm gonna make it for sure or not in the next few days.
Old 08-28-2001, 07:00 PM

If you can make it, yes, please bring the laptop. (Just curious - what model?) The software runs fine on WinME, I can test it on W2K. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2001, 07:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elistan
[B]If you can make it, yes, please bring the laptop.
Old 08-28-2001, 07:11 PM

*nod* I understand. It does use a serial port. Hopefully, it doesn't use some funky low-level hardware DOS calls. Wouldn't surprise me if they did that for the timing resolution. Who knows, but their web page only talks about 95/98. I'll ask them tomorrow when they hopefully call me back.
Old 08-28-2001, 07:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure those batteries are fully charged and when you run the box - prop it up on something so air flows below or else you'll end up getting a hair over an hour out of the battery if its resting on someone's lap (why they aren't called laptops now because of legal issues) and it will get hot and use up the battery a bit more.

wish I could be there! but I gotta pass on this one.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:42 AM

I'm gonna have to apologize guys...I completely forgot about a volleyball tournament I'm playing in this weekend, so I'm not going to make it out to the Autocross after all. If something changes, I'll let you know.