Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Selling car to out-of-state buyer

Old 04-28-2005, 04:17 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Selling car to out-of-state buyer

It looks like I've found a buyer in NY for the '04 car. He'll be flying into Dallas to pick it up and drive back home. While discussing the sale, he said he checked with his bank about the process and they mentioned something about needing a transit permit from the state of Texas - not sure on the details, if it's for the state of New York, the buyer's insurnace, something the bank wants, or what.

Anybody know anything about this?
Old 04-28-2005, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, when I bought my S2K in Missouri a few months ago I never heard about anything like that..
Old 04-28-2005, 05:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sold my Explorer out of state and never heard of that either.

Some states have weird laws so they think other states should as well.

Have him bring it with him, IF it exists
Old 04-28-2005, 06:37 PM

David, when you sold the Explorer did you leave the Texas license plates on the car?

It appears that in some states (like New York) when you sell a car, you take the existing plates off it. So in order for the purchases to drive it to the new location, they must have an "in-transit permit" from that state as a temporary replacement for the permanant plate.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:56 PM

Congratulations Mark! Now you can spend the insurance money from the Spa on the Berlina mods. Have you checked with the DMV yet about your question?
Old 04-28-2005, 07:09 PM

Yep, and can't find a single thing on the website about what to do with the plates on the car. Assuming a sale to another Texas resident, it appears that the plates go with the car. (There's a field for "license number" on the title application form.)

I'll have to make some calls tomorrow to find out exactly what the procedures are, I guess. If the plates stay on, I just hope the new owner doesn't knock over a liquor store or anything like that! Looks like other states have it together better about not having sold cars hang around in the previous owners names. There's even a section on the Texas website about what to do if you start getting parking tickets and the like on a car you sold previously.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:20 PM

Selling a car in Texas is just weird...There was book on management written a few years ago by a retired general called "Hope is not a Method"...I always think of that statement every time someone drives off in a car I sell with my plates still on it.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I left my plates on the car because that is what the DMV told me to do. They said he couldn't drive the car without plates (which makes me believe there is no in-transit provision in Texas) and that the new owner would take care of it on his end.

California won't even let an out of state buyer drive a new car anywhere in the state of California. I had to pick my new car up at the border on my way back to Dallas.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:44 AM

Definitely check with the DMV, but I would be very hesitant to leave your plates on the car when you sell it to an out of state buyer. I would talk to the buyer and have them get whatever temp plates they need and bring them with them. You may have to fax a bill of sale or something like that to them in order for them to get the temp tag. I don't think that should be your responsibility.

Congratulations on the sale, by the way! What mods are planned for the Berlina now that you will have money burning a hole in your pocket?
Old 04-29-2005, 12:01 PM

I've looked at the New York DMV site and from what I can tell they only give out transit plates for cars originating in New York.

So far I've purchased a Whiteline swaybar. Next, I need to decide if I want to put the PRM intake back on or purchase a new K&N FIPK. Eventually I'd like to get another set of Volk CE28Ns for the street - black, with a polished lip. Depending on how the car performs with the swaybar and stock coilovers, I might need to purchase some new suspension bits.

Quick Reply: Selling car to out-of-state buyer