Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Second autocross of the '02 season Saturday June 1st!

Old 05-23-2002, 01:28 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Please read this entire doc, it's similar to my last autocross posting, but I have made changes. Thanks.

What: NTS2KOC's fourth autocross. Mr. Clovis will be supplying our course design this time.

When: Saturday, June 1st.

Where: Mineral Wells airport. (Click here for a map.) It's about a 90 minute drive for me from the Addison area.

Registration: Come as early as you like, registration closes at 9:00am (the start of the driver's meeting) and first car on track is at 9:30am. We will have registration forms at the track. I should be able to put them online at some point, too. If you would like to walk to course to familiarize yourself with it, please do so before the driver's meeting. During previous events, setting up the course has taken quite a long time, despite some of us arriving as early as 7:00am. The above times are a best case scenario, although we haven't actually gotten started before 11:00am. Feel free to come out early and help us set up, but you might miss something if you arrive after 9:00.

Cost: $30 base price. $5 discount for club membership.

Lunch: There will be a break for lunch. Subway and McDonalds are nearby if you do not want to bring your own.

Safety: Check your car, make sure it's in good condition. You'll need a helmet. Have fun but keep cool - we don't want to become personas non gratas at the site. Especially, we don't want any damage to your car or your self.

Format: The day will be divided into several sessions. If you are not driving a particular session, you will be working that session. Work categories are timing/scoring, grid, and corner working. The number of participants will determine the exact nature and amount of the run sessions. I'm shooting for four sessions for each drive, with about two hot laps each. (Therefore, each driver will get eight runs.)

Numbers: Each car will need a unique number. You can request a number on a first-come, first served basis. If you attended previous events, we'd prefer you use your previous car number. Please plan to bring your own. They need to be high contrast magnetics or adhesive vinyls on the doors - it's important to know who's who when multiple Silverstones are in the same session. (Tape will work too, by the way.) Pro Tape is one of the places you can go for numbers. AATees can tell you about the graphics he got for his car - they look great.

Passengers: Our insurance gives us the option of allowing passengers during runs. I think that's a great deal of fun, so feel free to bring somebody who'd like a thrill ride, or jump in somebody faster's car for some instruction. (If they're feeling generous, of course!) Sorry, no minors.

Fun runs: Depending on the time and how everybody feels, we might have additional fun-runs after then end of the official sessions.

Cleanup: Please, be nice and stick around to help us clean up the site when the day is done. It makes thing go so much easier.

Disclaimer: Any of the above could change at any time without any notice.

Possible issues: Our first event, we had 6 drivers. Second, 12 drivers. Third, 24. If that means that 48 drivers show up this time, we might have an issue with giving everybody eight runs and finishing on time. We'll be playing this by ear - we don't know just how many cars are too many cars. Please bare with us as we learn more about hosting autocrosses!

Timing system: I plan to be at the Starbucks in Addison (SW corner of Beltline and the Tollway) this Sunday around 1pm. I'll have my laptop with the timing system - I'm extremely interested in brining somebody else up to speed on using it, so I'm not a single point of failure. (Plus, I'll be leaving early from this event for a 10yr highschool reuinion.) I also hope to have a nifty document that gives some great instructions on course design. Please stop by if you have some time.
Old 05-24-2002, 07:35 AM

Duh, I forgot to mention:

Instructors: Our good friend marcucci has arranged to have about five drivers show up who are willing to be instructors for the event. This is for novices only, not veterans looking to improve their times. I know there are lots of S2000 owners who are new to the whole autocross thing - my goal is to help bring everybody up to speed to make it that much more enjoyable. Instead of working corners, they'll be riding with their students. I'll place a field on the application that'll be going up so you can indicate whether you want one. First-come-first-served basis!
Old 05-24-2002, 11:44 AM

Lunch: Unfortunately, our grill providers will be working that weekend, and our food providers will be out of town. Unless we can get some volunteers to help transport such items to the track, we'll have to make due with the Subway and McDonalds close by... Anybody?
Old 05-24-2002, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark:

I am unable to attend so I'll bring the flags to the Friday night social.

Al
Old 05-26-2002, 06:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I plan on meeting up at Starbucks today with a track layout sketch. See you there.
Old 05-26-2002, 02:46 PM

Is any car welcome to come out, my girlfriends brother has a Miata and he is really wanting a S2K after driving mine, this would confirm how much he "needs" to get one.

I am one that is new to autocross. I will need instruction and have open mind ears to learn.

My girlfriend has a place at PK, so I am already planning to be there next weekend, since we didn't go this weekend.

Can some one e-mail the track lay out to us all that are interested?

Where would I get the basic's on the autocross?

Thanks,
Jeremy Garcia
Old 05-26-2002, 02:49 PM

what size should the numbers be?

what numbers are already taken and used regularly?
Old 05-26-2002, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I'm aware, other makes are welcomed. Better hope so - NTPOG has a member driving down from Missouri this coming weekend who plans to attend... and Billy & I are planning on bringing Miatas. If other makes aren't welcome, now's the time to say it!

To really be visible at speed on the course, numbers should be a minimum of 8" high, but the bigger the better.

I'd like to officially lay claim to the number 75, if it isn't already taken by someone else.

Mark - I missed the first event this year, so I don't know if Todd suggested this or not - will there be a parade lap or novice drive-through following the driver's meeting?
Old 05-26-2002, 07:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by altiain
[B]As far as I'm aware, other makes are welcomed. Better hope so - NTPOG has a member driving down from Missouri this coming weekend who plans to attend... and Billy & I are planning on bringing Miatas. If other makes aren't welcome, now's the time to say it!
Old 05-26-2002, 07:57 PM

I am taking number number 19. I have to have this ordered so hopefully no has this, if not I will reverse the number and be like Denis Rodman number 91.

This will be sweet! Never have done this before, looking forward to it.

Quick Reply: Second autocross of the '02 season Saturday June 1st!