Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

S2000 Autocross #1 (3/18/06)

Old 03-18-2006, 06:59 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks like it'll continue for a few hours more...

I feel bad though that some people still showed up.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan,Mar 18 2006, 07:59 AM
Looks like it'll continue for a few hours more...

I feel bad though that some people still showed up.
Whaat? Some people still drove out to mineral wells despite the morning cancellation notice yesterday? Is the April date the next available or does that just happen to be the next scheduled event? Is it possible that MW has an opening next saturday or the weekend after that since BMWCCA and PCA are using the TMS bus lot this month?
Old 03-18-2006, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are not any immediate dates available, however we're exploring adding another event some time later in the year. If we find some available dates, we'll post up the options and try to add in another event. We'll keep you posted...

C-
Old 03-18-2006, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by altiain,Mar 18 2006, 08:30 AM
Hey candyass - have you ever run at Hallet? If not, you might want someone with some experience to ride along with you during your first session. Hallet is a lot more technical than MSR, TMS, or TWS, with much greater elevation changes and a few blind corners. There also isn't a whole lot of runoff room.

Don't get me wrong - Hallet is my favorite track in this area of the country, but it demands some respect and skill to drive safely. I would certainly want to have an instructor or ride along with another veteran for a session before I went solo up there for the first time.
No, I have never run at Hallett. Don't get me wrong I am not against instructors at all, i've learned alot from the good ones I've had. I typically only drive to about 80% of what the car is capable of. I start slowly and build speed as I gain experience with the nuances of the track.I constantly remind myself that I do this for fun and I am not racing. If I were to damage my car that would NOT BE FUN. All that said, If there are instructors available I will be looking for one to ride along. If they are not available it will not stop me from running there, I will just be much more cautious.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by candyass,Mar 18 2006, 12:09 PM
No, I have never run at Hallett. Don't get me wrong I am not against instructors at all, i've learned alot from the good ones I've had. I typically only drive to about 80% of what the car is capable of. I start slowly and build speed as I gain experience with the nuances of the track.I constantly remind myself that I do this for fun and I am not racing. If I were to damage my car that would NOT BE FUN. All that said, If there are instructors available I will be looking for one to ride along. If they are not available it will not stop me from running there, I will just be much more cautious.
candyass, I just wanted to give you a heads up, since that car of yours could carry quite a head of steam into some of the blind braking zones at Hallet, and there isn't much runoff. You strike me as a smart guy who wouldn't let the "red mist" of a track day cloud his brain, but when you get up there you might understand why I felt the need to advise caution.

Watch out for Turn 2 (running counter-clockwise) in particular the first few laps. I've watched more than one car on cold tires or brakes (or with overheated brakes) at a DE event go straight into the tire wall in that corner, and your car should be quite capable of entering the braking zone for that corner at 110-120mph. You exit that corner at 30-35mph, which should give you some idea of how heavy the braking demands are.

Which brings up another point - I'd also suggest making sure you have a full spare set of brake pads with you when you go to Hallet, and check your pads after every session. Hallet is much harder on brakes than any of the Texas tracks. I was up there with marcucci a couple of years ago, and I watched him go through almost an entire set of pads in one day in the S2000. We actually had to leave his car in the paddock overnight, and find a replacement set of pads at an Autozone in Tulsa, which is 30 miles away.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:01 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, I don't know if hail fell in Mineral Wells specifically, but there are certainly cells that moved through the general area that produced hail. This definitely wasn't something that we could have waited out during the heavy downfalls - I'm glad we called it off. Sigh.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by altiain,Mar 18 2006, 12:28 PM
candyass, I just wanted to give you a heads up, since that car of yours could carry quite a head of steam into some of the blind braking zones at Hallet, and there isn't much runoff. You strike me as a smart guy who wouldn't let the "red mist" of a track day cloud his brain, but when you get up there you might understand why I felt the need to advise caution.

Watch out for Turn 2 (running counter-clockwise) in particular the first few laps. I've watched more than one car on cold tires or brakes (or with overheated brakes) at a DE event go straight into the tire wall in that corner, and your car should be quite capable of entering the braking zone for that corner at 110-120mph. You exit that corner at 30-35mph, which should give you some idea of how heavy the braking demands are.

Which brings up another point - I'd also suggest making sure you have a full spare set of brake pads with you when you go to Hallet, and check your pads after every session. Hallet is much harder on brakes than any of the Texas tracks. I was up there with marcucci a couple of years ago, and I watched him go through almost an entire set of pads in one day in the S2000. We actually had to leave his car in the paddock overnight, and find a replacement set of pads at an Autozone in Tulsa, which is 30 miles away.
Thanks for your kind words and wisdom, I appreciate it. I'll keep your advice in mind. I am just going to have some fun and watch some of these more experienced drivers in their supercars that will be there. Come on up and join us, you can show me the finer points of getting around Hallett.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:02 PM

Altian's comments are right on regarding Hallett. Fun track but high potential for OTE if you push too hard before learning all the nuances.

Also be advised that the outside edge of Turn 1 is off camber (i.e. rolls off into the weeds). Don't ask me how I know that
Old 03-18-2006, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by candyass,Mar 18 2006, 03:39 PM
Come on up and join us, you can show me the finer points of getting around Hallett.
I would love to - Hallet is a treat to drive, and it's been to long since I've been there. Unfortunately, I'll be scurrying around at the last minute prepping the car for the Walnut Ridge National Tour the following weekend.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by altiain,Mar 18 2006, 04:33 PM
I would love to - Hallet is a treat to drive, and it's been to long since I've been there. Unfortunately, I'll be scurrying around at the last minute prepping the car for the Walnut Ridge National Tour the following weekend.
Have fun, and good luck! You will probably see my Dad there in his red C5.

Quick Reply: S2000 Autocross #1 (3/18/06)