Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

S2000 Autocross #1 **POSTPONED**

Old 02-07-2006, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the lifetime alignment from firestone, so that won't cost me a dime. But, I was hoping for something cheaper than a few hundred for new tires. I'm using some 17" prodrives, and to tell you the truth I don't remember what tires are on them.

My only experience comes from going to those free/cheap Mazda events once a year for the past few years. And if you don't mind, how many driving styles are there? Maybe I can identify which I am by the description.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by CRDMS1,Feb 7 2006, 09:57 AM
The alignment is your best investment candidate for autox. Second to that, I would look into the stickiest tires I could find...a little wider in the F/R or both won't hurt depending on your driving style. Some options:

205/225 (AP1 16" OEM S-02s only)
205/245 (recommended for the stock AP1 16" wheel setup)
225/255 (what I run on the AP2 17" wheel sizing)

For your first autox, the best thing to do is come out, enjoy the experience, and learn as much as you can through seat time with an instructor (highly recommended). Unless you've been to several events before, you probably have no idea what your driving style is and what your car *needs* to be more competitive. No matter what car you're driving, the pilot has a good deal of say in what makes a car competitive (or not).
Hankook's are cheap and have a 200 treadwear rating. That is what I use.

I also get my car aligned at Firestone. I use the one at Parker and Independence. The manager is a racer also. I can't remember what my alignment specs are, but they have them on file. I will get them and get back. They are mildly aggressive, but won't eat up your tires with every day use.

James
Old 02-07-2006, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adam_gipson,Feb 7 2006, 09:38 AM
Anyone have any relatively cheap suggestions, that I can put on prior to the event?
Even better than cheap, I've got a suggestion for you that won't cost a dime - make sure you request an instructor when you get to the event.

Sticky tires and a competitive alignment are probably the two biggest "bang for the buck" go-fast mods for autocrossing... but the best place to spend money before and after those mods is on the nut behind the wheel. Autocrossing takes a bit of skill and practice to master, and you can spend thousands of dollars and not pick up a tenth on the course unless you know how to extract that time from the car.

So ask for an instructor at the event. They're free, and I guarantee you that they'll help lower your lap times more than any shiny go-fast bit you could buy between now and next Saturday.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by altiain,Feb 7 2006, 11:46 AM
Even better than cheap, I've got a suggestion for you that won't cost a dime - make sure you request an instructor when you get to the event.
At the same time if you have the money and plan on doing it on a regular basis then you might want to get an autocross set of tires and wheels so you're not ripping through your more expensive street tires... that's what I do... I figure since I can't drive right at the limit of the tires on a regular basis, it's not the tires holding me back so why spend money on more expensive tires... sure I may run a bit faster but it's not skill related and really doesn't help me to learn.... When I get to the point where my skill allows me to drive the car right on the limit then it's time to adjust the car's limit.
-Doug
Old 02-07-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, make sure you arrive in time to do all of your setup (air pressures, shock valving, ECU downloads/mapping, floormat/etc. removal...) before you walk the course. In my case, at least 3 course walks allow me to get a feel for the varying pavement surfaces (gravel, paint, clear), course/section flow, camber changes / bumps and the like.

PM me on your setup, Adam -- interested to hear about your mapping & power adds.

Best,
Stanford
Old 02-07-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How noob friendly is this course? I have never autocrossed my car.. hell I havnt even launched it but I do want to try.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedxRacer,Feb 7 2006, 07:43 PM
How noob friendly is this course? I have never autocrossed my car.. hell I havnt even launched it but I do want to try.
As chief course designer I'd like to say the courses are easy to follow and newbie friendly. The sketches I have for the 18th are looking good...

You can also have an instructor ride along with you on the first few runs until you get the hand of it.

BTW, in an effort to save tires and dif's our starts are such that "launching" the car is not required and does not help your times.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:34 PM

clovis.....will you be riding along with anyone?? I would like to have you ride along with me once if possible and gimme some tips .
Old 02-07-2006, 07:52 PM

Heh, yeah and as we discussed at the last auto-x I would appreciate you riding along with me just to observe then make suggestions afterwards...
Old 02-08-2006, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by stantaur,Feb 7 2006, 06:41 PM
FWIW, make sure you arrive in time to do all of your setup (air pressures, shock valving, ECU downloads/mapping, floormat/etc. removal...) before you walk the course. In my case, at least 3 course walks allow me to get a feel for the varying pavement surfaces (gravel, paint, clear), course/section flow, camber changes / bumps and the like.

PM me on your setup, Adam -- interested to hear about your mapping & power adds.

Best,
Stanford
And that's why Stan is so fast.... walk the course at "least 3 times!"

I just open a fresh pack of Juicyfruit, slap in a Van Halen CD, and start smiling.

Regards,

Al

Quick Reply: S2000 Autocross #1 **POSTPONED**