Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Road trip planned...

Old 12-01-2007, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip planned...

I know this is kind of far off but pretty excited I am driving the S to Atlanta next Sept. for a conference. I have never driving that part of the country and I hear its incredible, and that time of year should be awesome!! Just wanted to share!!! Let me know if anyone has driving that before and what all there is to see... was thinking of going 20 there, and something more scenic on the way back.

George
Old 12-02-2007, 06:27 AM

You might want to consider taking a side trip to Deal's Gap after you get to Atlanta.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah the drive there prob wont be too fun. Just straight highways... so id suggest some detours on the way back.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:39 AM

So no one at the house huh? lol jk
Old 12-03-2007, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done this drive many times and will be doing it again sometime in the next few weeks. It's not an exciting drive on 20; I highly recommend audio books to help pass the time! Once you're in Atlanta, it's a short, fun drive to Helen, GA, which I highly recommend, as well as the Cherohala Skyway. I would AVOID Deal's Gap, as they have added an unholy number of cops out there who will pull you over for the tiniest infraction. Many car and moto clubs are boycotting it as a result of the increased, unreasonable patrols.

Oh, and unless something's changed, the road surface SUCKS on 20 through Arkansas. If you're due an alignment, get it when you get back.

Good luck and safe travels!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sondra S2K,Dec 3 2007, 03:27 PM
I've done this drive many times and will be doing it again sometime in the next few weeks. It's not an exciting drive on 20; I highly recommend audio books to help pass the time! Once you're in Atlanta, it's a short, fun drive to Helen, GA, which I highly recommend, as well as the Cherohala Skyway. I would AVOID Deal's Gap, as they have added an unholy number of cops out there who will pull you over for the tiniest infraction. Many car and moto clubs are boycotting it as a result of the increased, unreasonable patrols.

Oh, and unless something's changed, the road surface SUCKS on 20 through Arkansas. If you're due an alignment, get it when you get back.

Actually Sondra, on 20 he'll pass through Louisiana and MS, not AR, and our roads suck something fierce. Instead of fixing inperfections in the road, they turn them into large knots, and ramps

It's soo much smoother in Texas!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by LubedKoala,Dec 2 2007, 12:39 PM
So no one at the house huh? lol jk
hey no i am going alone....the other half refuses to ride that long LOL ..

someone has to watch my fish and 4 dogs and cat...

Old 12-04-2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sondra S2K,Dec 3 2007, 01:27 PM

oh is 20 that bad going that way???

i have never driven east thats why i opted to..... thought it would be fun and that time of year should be really nice!!

Old 12-04-2007, 07:22 PM

I used to travel back and forth from North Carolina to Atlanta to Dallas and back and i will tell you that I-20 got to be the boring interstate that you will travel on... especially after 9pm....hardly any car on the road...dark and scary. Once you cross into Jackson, Mississippi after 10pm good luck finding a gas station that open late at night untill you are almost near to the border of Alabama....and if you do find ones....it very creepy...kinda reminded me of all the highway horror movies From my experience in the pass i don't like to carry a gun in the car, but everytime i am going back East and crossing part of La, Miss and AL i don't have no choice but carrying ones. So, if you do plan to travel on I-20 to Atl then plan on driving during the day.

You can take I-40E through AK and TENN and then take I-75S to Atlanta for more enjoyable drive but expect 4-5hours longer than taking I-20. But if you do decide to take I-40 route than you mind as well drive through Knoxville, Tenn. and through Smoky mountain...down to cherokee trail....through North and South Carolina foothills and head down to Atlanta. Now, that would be a fun drive!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ch0pper,Dec 3 2007, 11:04 PM
Actually Sondra, on 20 he'll pass through Louisiana and MS, not AR, and our roads suck something fierce. Instead of fixing inperfections in the road, they turn them into large knots, and ramps

It's soo much smoother in Texas!
Oh yeah, that's right. I was thinking of I30, but IIRC, 20 was no picnic either. I'm from the east coast, so I've driven those roads sooo many times going home. None of them that go through the Bubba States are noteworthy