Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Road/Hybrid/Mountain Biking

Old 04-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Le3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road/Hybrid/Mountain Biking

Hey guys,

I was just wondering how many of you guys are into biking around the DFW area.

What bikes do you guys have?

I am looking for a commute bike as of now(10-15 mile one way), but I have little to no experience with brand names, models, etc.

Was gonna see if anyone here had a hobby in cycling that could help me out.

I am looking for a comfy/city bike like a hybrid. I've been searching on craigslist/ebay/local bike shops but I have not found much.

I plan on riding on the pavement/road/sidewalk. My friends and I will be riding during the summer a bunch. Not really on bike trails or any hardcore mountain biking. I am not looking for a serious road bike either.

The 7.3 FX by Trek has caught my eye. But I don't know much about other brands either so I dunno if I am on the right path of choosing the right bike.
I plan on spending under 300-350$ for a used bike.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jon
Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 PM

For a commuter bike, non-off road use, I would suggest a road-specific bike. Regular use of a Mountain bike on a road going 15 miles one-way will get old real quick. There are some good deals on craigslist if you have the patience.

Good luck
Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 AM

I try to bike when I have time.

My rides :
Trek Madone 5.2 (Road)
Specialized Hardrock Pro (Mountain)

I would suggest to go to a local bike shop and have them professionally fit you. I've been to many bike store and have been going to Bicycles Inc ever since the first time I've set foot in that store.
They are very professional and knowledgeable and are four location spaced out in the metroplex. If you buy a bike from them you will have lifetime basic tune-up and discount on your first accessory shopping spree.

From you information, I would think you will like a hybrid.

You sure do have motivation if you want to bike 10-15 miles one way.
Save bunch of gas, get fit, and save the Earth.
Can you ask for more?
Old 04-29-2008, 06:29 PM

yeah having it fitted is a good idea if your going to be ridding it everyday...
Also I find that a hybrid is a better way to go ..... Mountain to bulky for everyday road travel, road bikes....can get pricey...even for tires!! Hybrid's are kind of the best of both worlds and still reasonably priced. I got rid of my Street bike and my mountain bike after getting my hybrid. I dont know where you are ... but the Bike Mart in Bedford is pretty good the guys are helpful.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Le3

Thanks for the info guys.

I have a question, by fitting what do you mean?

Adjusting the handle bar angles, seat changing? what else would be able to be fitted?

Old 04-30-2008, 05:45 AM

Bikes come in different frame sizes. (A 5'5 person would ride a different size than a 6 footer).
Old 04-30-2008, 06:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by juice04,Apr 30 2008, 07:45 AM
Bikes come in different frame sizes. (A 5'5 person would ride a different size than a 6 footer).
This is certainly true. I almost flipped my friends bike going down this large dip on a trail, lol. Scary stuff when the brakes aren't slowing you down.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:14 PM

here's some advice:

go to a bike specific shop(performance bicycle, bike-mart, plano cycling, etc...). ask a crap load of questions. the reason i say this is because their employees are more knowledgeable. i went in there not really knowing anything and they all schooled me. of course, it was all great info. not only that, but you'll get a much better warranty than a place like dick's sporting goods or academy. they'll only offer you their store's 30 day return policy. outside of that, you're basically on your own.

i purchased my bike at performance bicycle over here in plano. what you may want to do is look online to see their inventory and also to see if there are any specials. i think places like bike-mart will actually let you rent any(not 100% sure) bike for a day for like $20. i would actually suggest that so it'll be easier to narrow down your choices. plano cycling has a cannondale(bada$$) hybrid for just around your price range($300) and it's money.

i mean, i could go on and on but i would honestly suggest taking a trip down to your local bicycle shop. they'll give you all the info you need in about 20mins.

schwinn is good
trek is good
cannondale is great
raleigh is good
ironhorse is not so good
gt is pretty good
Old 04-30-2008, 04:40 PM

Hey, where is a best place to ride in plano?
Old 04-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Le3

Uhm, I know theres Arbor Hills around Parker and Midway. They have some mountain bike trails but I think they have like normal bike paths too for like leisure. I'm not too positive though.

Quick Reply: Road/Hybrid/Mountain Biking