Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

relocation question

Old 04-25-2005, 11:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apartments are always on the least desireble land that they wouldn't want to build houses on. They separate the homes from the Freeway, busy street, train tracks, shopping centers, etc.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marcucci,Apr 25 2005, 09:47 AM
Plano is great if you and your kids like heroin. IIRC they have like the highest abuse and suicide rate of any city by population.

If you are concerned about your kids I would look to one of the newer suburbs a little further out. You will find traffic is not near as bad as in Chicago (though it is admittedly bad). I live virtually "out in the sticks" 35 miles away from work and it rarely takes me more than 45-50 minutes to get to work.

Generally, the further out you go into newer suburbs, the better the schools but the higher the taxes are. If you are very affluent you can afford one of the nicer neighborhoods closer into Dallas.

What kind of a price range do you have for a house?
I don't think that is still the case in Plano, Todd. That was in the mid to late 90s, just as I was leaving. I pretty much grew-up in Plano, attending school from 6th grade until I graduated high school, and I think I turned out just fine.

If you can afford it, I'd certainly look in Highland/University Park. The houses are pricey and the property taxes are very high, but it's the best area in the city of Dallas to live in. The schools are also quite good, with several private school within a close proximity if you so choose. Also, commuting against traffic in the morning if you office is north is simple since there isn't much traffic going that direction.

With gas prices rising, I wouldn't want to be too far from work. I'm quite happy with my office being 1.2 miles from my place.

Ryan
Old 04-25-2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kaiser,Apr 23 2005, 10:27 AM
I live in Allen and work in Plano... it's pretty nice.

Allen / McKinney / Frisco (further north) is where everyone is moving to now... generally nicer/newer than Plano - but Plano is still fine.

As you go further south there is Richardson and then Garland. I would avoid Garland and maybe Richardson. Garland has nice sections and not-as-nice sections. Richardson is generally okay - but again - the further north you go, the more upscale / nicer it gets.
Allen, McKinney, and Frisco don't quite have the population or infrastructure in place. They are still growing.

Taxes will be higher in those communities. Plano is where most people come to shop and eat out with the exception of Frisco. They have a nice new mall.

I've owned an insurance agency in Plano for 24 years and Plano is the city that these communities look at when it comes to schools, infrastructure, parks, etc.

My company's home office is in Northbrook. Guess who I represent?

This is a very expansive metropolitan area. Make sure that you live close to work if you can. I don't think a barrel of oil is going to drop below $50.00 anytime soon.

Good Luck,

James
Old 04-25-2005, 03:19 PM

We haven't had a heroin problem in the High Schools since the late 90's when the area police forces combined with the DEA busted the drug lord in McKinney.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Ryan, you're on Martel aren't you?

I'm gonna be looking at houses in that general area with an agent tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:13 PM

COMMERCIAL PLUG:
Just for the record DEBBIE & I OWN A MORTGAGE COMPANY!!! For all you guys and gals out there who are buying, building or refinancing homes w/& w/o land.

One time closes, % only, straight financing, you name it we got it!!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:25 PM

Good to know!

Along the lines of houses and neighborhoods - are there any places left in town (areas like McKinney, Wylie are too far away for us) that a person can buy a little bit of land to build a custom house on? For what an average priced new or existing home would cost, of course. Is that even possible?
Old 04-26-2005, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Elistan,Apr 26 2005, 09:25 PM
Good to know!

Along the lines of houses and neighborhoods - are there any places left in town (areas like McKinney, Wylie are too far away for us) that a person can buy a little bit of land to build a custom house on? For what an average priced new or existing home would cost, of course. Is that even possible?
Old 04-26-2005, 08:20 PM

Mark yes, there are places that can be done, but it usually means going out a little way.

The only places I found such and yet were close enough IN that you could still get any city services and be near enough to a grocery store that you don't have to stock up for a week at a time were Keller, Southlake, Colleyville, and Fairfield.

We found 2 acres, 3000+ square feet, pool, detached 4 car garage with an apartment, and any number of other extras for under $300k in Keller. We found a number without the 4 car garage and apartment for low $200s.

We do loans all the time for people building just what you describe so Debbie is very conversant with that type, but that is usually in an area that makes McKinney and Wylie seem convenient.

But convenient and accessible is a relative term. Convenient and accessible to what? The Roanoke/Justin area is convenient to Mid Cities and Denton. In the unincorporated areas out there you can even build metal buildings for your large garage/workshop. : )

Give me a call & I may can steer you if I understand what you need.

(972) 644-8244
Old 04-26-2005, 09:20 PM

Assuming land can be found, just how much does it cost to build a house these days anyway? (In dollars per square foot terms, I guess.) Nothing extravagant like artisan carved woodwork, but simply good solid construction.

Quick Reply: relocation question