Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

rear speakers?

Old 08-01-2003, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear speakers?

hi everyone, i was wondering your opinion on the lucid rear speaker set up. do you all think it is worth the investment. with the speakers resting direction behind the seats will they make much of a difference? do you think it is a better investment to purchase a sub and try to find a place to install it with out killing the very little trunck space we have? Thanx all for your opinions.
~Richard
Old 08-01-2003, 05:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello from Texas.

I think it depends on your headunit. I say that because I had rear speakers for a while and it didn't have any depth to it at all. This was simply from splitting the single signal from the stock unit. Something actually designed for four speakers might have some circuitry in there to add some depth to the soundstage, like that fake 3D stuff some computer sound cards can do. But I think having the front and rear speakers in exact phase doesn't do much for you.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:41 AM

I purchased Eclipse 5.25 speakers for the rear and I think the sound is much better. I also have MB quarts in the doors. The original head unit is powering all of this. Maybe not for everybody but i think it is great for me. Trey
Old 08-01-2003, 06:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I cut my own rear panels and installed 2 cheap 4" speakers just like Lucid's setup. I am powering them from the OEM head unit, and they definitely made a noticeable improvement.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I also cut my own rear panels and installed 4" Infiniti's. I think Mark is right, not a whole lot of depth. However, it DOES fill in the cabin and offer more clarity at speed with the top down. I'd say it was worth the $120. I'd recommend an amp.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:53 AM

Cutting the rear panels is way easy and do not spend very much on these speakers unless you plan on running more power later. They add volume but do not expect any more bass. I started with the rear speakers (Kenwood 3-way 5 1/2" $50) but eventually added a subwoofer, new headunit, and new door speakers. After selling my stock head unit, the project came in under $400 net. The Sony MP40 headunit ($135) and Polk component door speakers ($130) alone sound 100% better than stock ('02). The rear speakers and subwoofer are great too, but if you're on a budget they're not necessary. Don't forget a Lucid adapter for your headunit and dash controls - the Sony unit works great and even adds automatic volume control with car speed. I love it!
Old 08-01-2003, 09:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aggie
[B] the Sony unit works great and even adds automatic volume control with car speed.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:55 PM

There are three settings: I think 10, 15 and 20 mph increments. I experimented with all settings top up and down over a month and 15 mph was the best. How do I know? I found myself turning down the volume when set on 10 and having to turn it up when set on 20, top up or down. I suppose you naturally set the volume a little lower with the top up. The setting is changed by holding down the channel, mode, or mute button when turning on the ignition - very easy. I've seen the price steadily increase on this product since it's $50 introduction last year. I also don't know how I ever lived without MP3 in the car - hundreds of songs at my fingertips.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Rear speakers are a worthwhile sound improvement, top up and especially down. Since you get unused power from other two channels, that alone is significant.

If you are at all a do it yourselfer, no reason to buy Lucid or other turnkey. Quality 4" or Walmart 5 3/4 will fit Quality 5 3/4 magnets are too large without cutting metal, which I do not recommend.

You can see the back of the panel to check clearance to braces from the truck by removing spare tire and pulling down sound deadening felt.

You can add pins to radio connector to contact rear speaker output pins. Just sticking tinned wires in works, though I used pins pulled from a $4 connector from Walmart.

Mute button does not work on rear speakers. I have wiring diagram to make mute work on rear speakers, or to convert mute button to turn off power to radio, rather than just kill speakers. Uses a <$10 radio shack relay. Power off has the advantage of stopping the CD where it is rather than continuing to run. All wiring occurs behind radio. No reason to get behind remote switch.

Rear panel comes out easily so you can cut holes on bench rather than in car.

Wires run under carpet or under console.

-----------

It should be possible to put in some sort of wolfer without reducing trunk, since the space left of spare and ahead of tank filler pipe is empty. Of course it would be off center.

Gregg

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WongGahming
[B]hi everyone, i was wondering your opinion on the lucid rear speaker set up.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elistan
[B]Hello from Texas.

Quick Reply: rear speakers?