Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Other Cars in Your Garage (56kbps warning)

Old 09-30-2004, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Other Cars in Your Garage (56kbps warning)

Takes a special kind of person to appreciate the S2000's unique balance of handling, chassis integrity, powerband, build quality and "feel" (ride, response, primary/secondary controls). For folks with more than one car in the portfolio, it's a safe bet that the other cars are interesting. Thus the purpose of this thread -- what else gives you the grins? Below is the '69 Z/28 that's been in my family since new.

I've heard someone owns a neat Lotus Elan, another family has some fine British roadsters... let the bandwidth abuse begin.

Stantaur
Old 09-30-2004, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea Stantaur...while I put together my own submission I'll just share a few other pics of your perfect family heirloom....

Old 09-30-2004, 08:40 PM

My '02 Sebring Silver shares my garage with the first sports car that I owned and the ultimate reason that drew me to the S2000. She is a 1970 Volvo 1800E. Now, those that don't know the car may think "what...a Volvo?" If so, you've never seen or driven one.

This is also my family heirloom. I was not as fortunate as Stantaur as I had a much more limited time to share my passion for the car with my father since I inherited it from him at the age of 17 when he lost his battle with cancer.

I drove this beauty in high school (after my first car, a 1970 Chevelle Malibu) and in college. I took it with me to Salt Lake City with a ski rack on the top when I decided to take some time off in my mid twenties to be a ski bum at Snowbird.

She never let me down and did quite well in the snow (not surprising, considering the heritage). It was only later, back in Dallas, that it became difficult to continue using her as a daily driver as the cost of repairs became too much.

I did have the engine rebuilt with some performance enhancements (forged pistons, performance cams, oil cooler, etc.) a few thousand miles before I retired her to the garage. After transmission problems and an electrical fire I just couldn't keep it on the road. She has been garage kept now since 1987.

That is how I entered the Honda family. I bought my first new car, a 1987 Acura Integra. BTW...that car is still on the road. I know because my friend still drives it. He's also the one that keeps asking when I'm going to get the 1800 back on the street. Some day I will. For now, I think the S2000 really enjoys sharing the space with her elder. Somehow, I think they both understand.

Old 10-01-2004, 03:05 AM

That is truely one of the nicest looking Z/28 out there. Excellent restoration with just the right modifications. There's quite a few hack jobs on the road these days and your car stands head and shoulders above the crowd! And the best part is it's a family heirloom which gives it even more special meaning.

As for my other stable mates........my daily driver is just a 2002 F250 Crewcab 4x4 powerstroke diesel (due to be traded on an '05 soon). The S shares the garage with a 1998 Honda Valkyrie. Cruiser comfort with just enough power from the 1500cc flat 6 to put a smile on your face. And in the barn/shop I have a Cobra kit. Notice I didn't add "car" to the end of that because it is way too far from being a car to call it that. Unfortunately other priorities have put it on the back burner. (the S being one of them!) I keep telling myself someday..... someday.........

Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures of any of them.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:55 AM

The S2000 is my only cool car...

I've also got the project car (64 4DR Chevy II Nova):

and the Japanese-Redneck-Mobile (cool in its own way... but only in Texas):
Old 10-01-2004, 05:02 AM

Gorgeous car, Stantaur! Appropriate that all of those horses are being photo'd in a barn, but you need to get one with horses actually in the background! Photodavo - get that car on the road! You never see those any more - get it running man!

Anyway, I have some pix of one of our cars - it's definitely a 20-footer, though. We bought it for $750.00 (so we'd have something to drive , put some paint and wheels on it, and did an engine swap this year (a tweaked 1500) with dual-carbs and O/D transmission --- so now it's probably over 100 HP. As you can see in the pix, the horses wouldn't even come close, so we got cows. Sorry about the size of the pix - I haven't got that shrinking thing down yet The other picture is the frame/drive train for the Spitfire (with an in-line 6-cylinder from a GT6) that my husband is trying to finish in the next few months. After years, the body is finally at a paint and body place that is actually working on it. What you're looking at is a set of headers he and a friend re-manufactured for the car. That motor came with 6 going into 1 and he wanted 2 sets of 3 instead. When he ordered an aftermarket set of headers, they fit great - until you tried to clear the frame - no way! So they cut and shaped and welded and came up with this
THE 20-FOOTER

OTHERS

HEADERS FOR STRAIGHT 6
Old 10-01-2004, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I'm jealous.

Photodavo, Stantaur, and rjosey8385 have all got some wonderful and unique cars to complement their S2000s. I'm afraid my Miata currently shares the garage with nothing more than my wife's rather pedestrian '00 Accord EX.

Well, I may have only one personal car, but I try to make the most of it!

Old 10-02-2004, 07:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Photodavo - thanks again for the awesome Bonham pics and for the story behind the 1800E. Such a cool car. Looks like it's in great shape and has some wonderful miles and stories logged already. Gorgeous lines and definitely will be fun to have back out on the street and show scene.
Jmaatsch, thanks for the kind words. That Powerstroke will pull just about anything, and the chipped ones I've seen at the strip put many cars on the trailer. And a bike and a Cobra lurking in the wings... that's going to be a way cool action figure set.
Kaiser -- first gen Chevy IIs and Novas are so cool (and lightweight). Any plans to sneak a 406 under the hood (badged as a 327/350HP, heh heh) for Pro Factory, or are you going concours full-resto or Pro Street, Pro Touring? Keep us posted.
RJosey, thanks for sharing the pics of the English finery. Totally with you on how hard it is to get headers that fit well -- had to section 1.5" of vertical height from the Z's. Very nice descriptions on the cars/buildups as well -- Love the lines on those classics. Any chance they'll be making out to autocrosses or group drives sometime? Would love to see them.
Altiain, that's a pretty darned nice portfolio IMHO, and I can't think of a person I'd rather attend a track day with in either car. Wthout question you da Man behind the wheel -- easily PAX indexing in the Top 10 (out of 200 entrants, and without Hoosiers)... impressive.
Looking forward to seeing some more fun rides -- keep 'em coming.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:43 AM

At the moment I'm going just for original restoration. If I ever get that far then I'll start thinking about modding further or possibly selling and getting an old camaro or something (my friend that I bought it from has a very nice '68 Camaro SS convertible that is just incredible)
Old 10-05-2004, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by stantaur,Oct 2 2004, 10:13 AM
RJosey, Any chance they'll be making out to autocrosses or group drives sometime? Would love to see them.
Probably when the Spit6 is completed you'll see it at drives - maybe AutoX, too. Unfortunately, it will have to run with the mods.

Quick Reply: Other Cars in Your Garage (56kbps warning)