Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

OT: Woman Talk

Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

^^

Texas Law - Prenuptial Agreements

Prenuptial agreements are generally enforceable in Texas.

Texas has adopted the Uniform Premarital Agreement Act , which provides for the circumstances in which agreements are enforceable.

Cases:

Dokmanovic v.Schwarz (1994) 880 SW2d 272 (parties' prenuptial agreement specified that separate property would remain separate, and that income or increases of that property would remain separate. The court upheld the validity and enforceability of this agreement).

Dewey (1988) 745 SW2d 514 (The husband, a radiologist earning over $200,000 a year, and his wife, a nurse, had signed a prenuptial agreement, which both agreed was valid. The issue was the interpretation of the agreement. The agreement had specified that the husband's professional corporation, and "profits, dividends, interest and proceeds" accruing from that corporation were husband's separate property. The court found that, despite this provision, salary paid from the corporation to husband was community property, not husband's separate property. It also found that the husband's rights to the corporation's pension plan were community property.)
Old 01-05-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB2000,Jan 5 2011, 07:05 PM
VP, that’s the very naive way to look at it and you're allowed to view it that way if you wish. If you get married when you’re in your early 20s and you have nothing, 10-15 years down the road you will.

Consider this thought… you have health, dental, vision, home onwners, dental and car insurance why…? IN CASE something goes wrong… You get a prenup for the same reason – IN CASE something goes wrong… You hope you never need it, but you thank god you have it in the event that you do need it.

I guarantee you less women would want to marry if they knew they’d walk away with what they brought into it or the percentage of the dollar value of what they brought into it,.
It was meant to be sarcastic........... and does not reflect my true feelings except for the second part of my statement.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point,Jan 5 2011, 11:16 PM
^^

Texas Law - Prenuptial Agreements

Prenuptial agreements are generally enforceable in Texas.

Texas has adopted the Uniform Premarital Agreement Act , which provides for the circumstances in which agreements are enforceable.

Cases:

Dokmanovic v.Schwarz (1994) 880 SW2d 272 (parties' prenuptial agreement specified that separate property would remain separate, and that income or increases of that property would remain separate. The court upheld the validity and enforceability of this agreement).

Dewey (1988) 745 SW2d 514 (The husband, a radiologist earning over $200,000 a year, and his wife, a nurse, had signed a prenuptial agreement, which both agreed was valid. The issue was the interpretation of the agreement. The agreement had specified that the husband's professional corporation, and "profits, dividends, interest and proceeds" accruing from that corporation were husband's separate property. The court found that, despite this provision, salary paid from the corporation to husband was community property, not husband's separate property. It also found that the husband's rights to the corporation's pension plan were community property.)
Was this directed at my post? I don't disagree that prenups are valid in Texas, but they don't have anything to do with a couple that gets married in their 20's when they have nothing. Prenups are only about property that 2 individuals have BEFORE they get married. Any wealth or property that is acquired after marriage is always community property.

I bought my current home when I was married to my 2nd wife almost 8 years ago. I got married again 4 years ago. If my house had been paid off by the time I got married, it would be considered separate property in the event of a divorce. However, it wasn't paid off, and I didn't ask my wife to sign any sort of agreement about it before we got married, so any equity that has been gained since our marriage is 50% hers. That's the only thing that would have really been applicable to a prenup in my case. Everything else that we each had clearly falls into the separate property or community property categories. The house would be the only thing to fight about in a divorce. Well, I guess there'd be some fighting about the kid too ...
Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's ok, I know how prenups work. I'll never need one in the future, so no point in discussing... Don't say "I do", and you don't have to part with have your crap when you say "I don't..."

I think this sums it up pretty good...

She Got the Gold Mine
Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=LMB2000,Jan 6 2011, 09:05 AM] It's ok, I know how prenups work. I'll never need one in the future, so no point in discussing...
Old 01-06-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by pmptx,Jan 6 2011, 09:07 AM
"If you can get the milk, no need to buy the cow" as a philosophy.
Word
Old 01-06-2011, 06:11 AM

I might add to that...

The difference between sex for money and sex for free is that sex for free costs alot more...

Old 01-06-2011, 11:46 AM

BTW, women think I'm God... anywhere I go, I hear them say "Oh God, you're back..."

Old 01-06-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB2000,Jan 6 2011, 09:11 AM
I might add to that...

The difference between sex for money and sex for free is that sex for free costs alot more...

This hits the nail on the head.

I don't miss the single life.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:08 PM

I just called the guy that cuts my hair and when he answered told me he thought I was calling him to invite him to my wedding... I said “You’ll be invited to my funeral before you’re invited to my wedding...”

Now that’s pure greatness... LMFAO

Quick Reply: OT: Woman Talk