Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club
View Poll Results: How much competition do you like seeing at the events?
I want to see my times, but not ranked against others
10.00%
Knowing how I compare motivates me and makes it exciting
70.00%
Doesn't matter, I have fun either way
15.00%
I'd rather there not be any times at all
5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Official autocross poll #2 - Want rankings?

Old 03-10-2008, 02:02 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Official autocross poll #2 - Want rankings?

In an effort to improve our autocrosses, I'm starting a series of polls to get some feedback on how people would like to see them run.

The second question is about what to do with the lap times. Currently we have a rough class structure with points assigned based on how you rank in each event, and a year-end "championship" award.

Some people commented that the pressure of competition makes for a less friendly, more cut-throat environment.

My personal opinion, however, is that comparing times motivates me to improve if somebody's faster - but at the same time I am totally willing to help others improve if they want some help. I get satisfaction in doing something well - I find DEs a bit frustrating because I don't know my times, and while it's obvious if I'm spinning out or not, I can't tell if I'm truly a "good" driver or just a "doesn't-crash-much" driver.

(I do know of a couple people who were frustrated by their performance, and one of those has stopped coming because of it, I think. I really wish I could have spent more time helping him out, but am just way too busy during the events.)
Old 03-10-2008, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just like to get out and run to see my own times improve...
Old 03-10-2008, 06:27 PM

Perhaps a novice classification and/or a novice walk-through would help.

Maybe also special t-shirts for people that are designated as instructers so newer people know to just grab anyone in a whatever color shirt.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you post the times you automatically have rankings. I love having times.

In most cases the rankings the individual applies won't be the same as club rankings such as who is #1-2-3, but instead it will be how that person compares to their other runs &/or to a buddy or their "target hot shoe" who they'd like to grow up and be just like.

With no ladder or anywhere else to go with a top or bottom ranking, why bother with official rankings unless it will enhance the fun factor for all. Some people with low egos need the boost of being #1-2-3 others the rankings intimidate. So if you're going to rank make it fun. Official most improved, best off, best spin, most # of cones, etc.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jrj512,Mar 10 2008, 08:27 PM
Perhaps a novice classification and/or a novice walk-through would help.

Maybe also special t-shirts for people that are designated as instructers so newer people know to just grab anyone in a whatever color shirt.
I meant to bring up instructors, thanks - it's something we used to go a lot of, but just haven't been able to support much recently. Clovis was about our only instructor for a while, mostly because he didn't do all his runs each event. I really like your idea of the instructor t-shirt.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Elistan,Mar 10 2008, 08:47 PM
I meant to bring up instructors, thanks - it's something we used to go a lot of, but just haven't been able to support much recently. Clovis was about our only instructor for a while, mostly because he didn't do all his runs each event. I really like your idea of the instructor t-shirt.
FWIW, I'm usually always willing to instruct anyone driving a FWD car who wants some pointers. I've been driving them for quite a lot of years competitively and would be happy to pass along any knowledge I've gained.

Not ready to help with instructing the RWDers yet...

Ryan
Old 03-10-2008, 10:27 PM

I like me some competition!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:57 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=Elistan,Mar 10 2008, 08:47 PM] I meant to bring up instructors, thanks - it's something we used to go a lot of, but just haven't been able to support much recently.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:32 AM

Let me know if you need help with instructors.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:35 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Miatamoto,Mar 11 2008, 07:32 AM
Let me know if you need help with instructors.
Why do you know where to find one?

J/K this guy is fast and instructed me when I was starting.

Quick Reply: Official autocross poll #2 - Want rankings?