Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

NTAXS Autocross #6, 11/22/2009, Pennington Field

Old 11-23-2009, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was a really great event, and one of the best uses of Pennington Field I've seen. The course really required significant focus and skill, and it was obvious who walked the course a few times and who didn't.
I walked 3 times, and still had to stop on my first run to avoid a DNF. I think some of us have become a bit complacent in expecting courses to always be plain-and-simple. To me, finding the right gates in the "sea of cones" is part of becoming a skilled autocrosser.

This was the end of the season for autoX in DFW, and I think its completely appropriate that the course was really challenging; drivers ought to be at the top of their game at this point in the season.
I realize there were a lot of novice autoX-ers at this event, and that is terrific for the club, but explains the high number of repeat DNF's. The s2000 is a lot of car for a novice autocrosser, and it would be a good idea for s2000 guys/gals to have an autoX school to allow some enthusiastic young drivers to become skilled at the sport. I know Jarret can help the club plan it if enough members will attend.

As for the "its an s2000 club" debate, I recall that the s2000 autocross series was plagued by low turnout and other issues in the past few years. Changing the name to NTAXS (brought to you by s2000) and the leadership/organization/publicity that the change has brought seems to have turned the series around. Jarret is a fair guy, and I'd be surprised to hear anyone make a legitimate argument that he doesn't try to run an event that is equitable to all.

Finally, I realize that getting beat by a mostly-stock Yaris can be a frustrating thing, and might bring up feelings of inadequacy and anger, but try not to misdirect those urges: its not Jarret's fault.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Nov 23 2009, 09:31 AM
Actually the name change has nothing to do with the fact that the equipment is still owned by the S2000 club.

Per stated posts a year ago the name change was just so that the S2000 name wouldn't run off non s2000 brands as if the BMW or Porsche club names were running off non BMW or Porsche brands.

Bottom line is it's an S2000 club event regardless of the name. But even from day 1 there's never been a completely S2000 event. All other marques have always been welcome.
David, I won't argue with you over who owns the equipment, but if it weren't for Miata owners like Jerrett, Hal, and Mick stepping up this year and taking over for Canadice and Mark, there wouldn't be ANY S2000 or NTAKS autocross series. Thankfully there are several people - many of whom have never owned an S2000 - who have dedicated their time and effort into putting these events together this season.

Frankly, I think calling it "an S2000 event" or "an S2000 club" snubs a lot of the people whose hard work and dedication went into making this series such a success this season.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I hadn't noticed the club's name change, but I did notice how many Miata owners are working the events. I'm VERY appreciative of that. I've considered offering to help with the events, but I really don't know if my interest in autocrossing will endure. I have other hobbies too, and a young daughter that takes up plenty of time.

Anyway, if I had known about the coin toss for run order, I wouldn't have mentioned anything about it.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think anyone ever said anything that could be construed as blaming Jarret for anything.

But as far as whether it is an S2000 club event or not for legal reasons there needs to be a very clear understanding as to where the responsibilities and ownerships lie so that false ideas grow.

EDIT: altian calling it what it is doesn't snub anyone. One day there will come a time that the legalities become very important and you'll see everyone not connected to the S2000 club ducking and running for cover. If anyone ever gets hurt or there's car damage then you'll find the legalities are much more than a technicality.

I think an autocross class is a wonderful idea! There have been a few autox classes over the years, usually at Pennington that have been attended very sporadically due to weather. They've usually been held prior to autox season truly beginning which means there's a good chance it will be cold or rainy or icy or snowy or something.

I LOVED the Yaris!!!! It was stock except for a CAI, exhaust and a few underdrive pulleys and was pulling 107 whp.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:14 AM
MLK

it was a great event...and I liked that the course was challenging to learn. Next time, I'm going to make sure I tape up my bumper prior to killing come cones...now I've got some scuffs to buff out of my baby
It's was fun though, and much thanks to everyone that rode along to give me some pointers...I feel like I learned a lot yesterday, so it was definitely a great experience!
Old 11-23-2009, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by MLK,Nov 23 2009, 10:14 AM
it was a great event...and I liked that the course was challenging to learn. Next time, I'm going to make sure I tape up my bumper prior to killing come cones...now I've got some scuffs to buff out of my baby
Every cone mark is a badge of honor!
Old 11-23-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by RyanDL,Nov 23 2009, 10:31 AM
Honda, for making the S2000 so wonderful to drive, even in stock form

Had a blast this season as my first full season with this car. I know the holiday party for this year isn't happening due to Temming's move, but we should plan a date to get together as a end of season party.

Ryan
Agree.

I think the club has gotten stronger recently among S2000/non-S2000 owners, which is only a good thing. Maybe it's because Cosmo is finally getting married and he has calmed down a bit instead of flaming everyone on the boards
Old 11-23-2009, 08:05 AM

While the course was no bad, it was not one of my greats, either. I was trying too hard to cram too much into that lot size. I need to settle for 40-second courses instead of 50 to 60-second courses on that lot.

BTW, this really is the S2000 club's event and equipment. I am just happy to be given the reigns to it. In order to ensure that all drivers are comfortable attending our events, the only preference given to S2000 drivers is the ability to exceed the cap. The name was only changed to attract other makes, since we need them as much as they need us.

I think the only real issue in this thread was the question about the run/work order, which was answered and accepted. I was also provided a possible idea for next season.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PilotSi,Nov 23 2009, 10:55 AM
Agree.

I think the club has gotten stronger recently among S2000/non-S2000 owners, which is only a good thing. Maybe it's because Cosmo is finally getting married and he has calmed down a bit instead of flaming everyone on the boards
Maybe it's because we've had less idiots making stupid posts here lately...well we still have a few. I flame all owners regardless of make or model.

There, are you happy?
Old 11-23-2009, 08:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by altiain,Nov 23 2009, 08:06 AM
David, I won't argue with you over who owns the equipment, but if it weren't for Miata owners like Jerrett, Hal, and Mick stepping up this year and taking over for Canadice and Mark, there wouldn't be ANY S2000 or NTAKS autocross series. Thankfully there are several people - many of whom have never owned an S2000 - who have dedicated their time and effort into putting these events together this season.

Frankly, I think calling it "an S2000 event" or "an S2000 club" snubs a lot of the people whose hard work and dedication went into making this series such a success this season.
Wow, too much drama. If you want the truth, and frankly the only thing that matters, Altian nailed it. Thanks to all the non-S2000 folks who who have stepped up to save the series.

The events were run mostly by S2000 members for many years. We had a great run of 4 or 5 years. Recently attendance dropped off in part due to the Mineral Wells location IMO. To pick this series up, relocate, and make it work is very much the doing of the above named. Great job guys!

Quick Reply: NTAXS Autocross #6, 11/22/2009, Pennington Field