Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by catfish
wow!
Old 12-02-2003, 03:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeremy, I wanna run the bike.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:01 PM

the clutch is going in for warranty work tomorrow, once i get it back it is on, your going to get beat. I have one the fastest 600's in the metro plex. I pull on 2003 R6's.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey catfish, I think with altiain and cmis2k's comments you have now been introduced to autocrossing... and the two extremes, and what big heads can do to you.

Do what works. Some people just come out and never improve. Some people spend assloads of money. Some people spend no money and are better drivers than any else. Most people fall in the middle.

Read what you can, come out and see what you think. Maybe the bug will bite, maybe not. Maybe you will find a new hobby or maybe just have fun.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CMiS2K
Old 12-03-2003, 03:57 AM

Iain, since when did you have several thousands into your car?! I thought you just had coilovers and the clutch/flywheel (OK, I guess "thousands" as in $2k of parts and labor)?

You two just like to razz each other. Just like Corey likes to poke his head in and drop a "no replacement for displacement" bomb and then duck out.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by marcucci
You two just like to razz each other. Just like Corey likes to poke his head in and drop a "no replacement for displacement" bomb and then duck out.
Now I'm sure CMiS2K is going to be doing the "no replacement for displacement" mantra, too... since he has the Z06.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by marcucci
Iain, since when did you have several thousands into your car?! I thought you just had coilovers and the clutch/flywheel (OK, I guess "thousands" as in $2k of parts and labor)?
The total extent of "performance" parts on my car included: $900 coilovers, a $400 flywheel, and a $200 axle-back exhaust. Everything but the exhaust has been removed now, and I'm faster now on the 75,000 mile-old OEM shocks than I was at the beginning of the season on my snazzy Tein coilovers. Why? Because I improved as a driver.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with modifying and improving cars. All I'm saying is that if the goal is to improve your driving, work on the driver, not the car.

Iain
Old 12-03-2003, 07:34 AM

Hi Catfish...
Here's my two cents for what it's worth. I'm a competetive person, but don't want to spend a fortune on the car so here's what I did last year when I got an S.

1. Went to NTS2KOC autocross in August 2002 to check it out. Rode along, had fun, and drove my car pretty low key once around the course with an instructor, that was it. Bone stock, borrowed helmet, friendly people. It was a great way to meet people on the board and spend the day talking about cars.

2. Went to the last two autocrosses the club had last year and started driving my car. Had fun, learned lots, had people ride along to give pointers... did I say I learned lots about driving the car and had fun

3. Got hooked, bought a helmet for 2003 season. Still driving bone stock S2000 on street tires and stock rims. Had tons of fun throughout the whole season. Met even more interesting, helpful, fun people. My driving is improving and the car is still not the limiting factor. Got second in street class for the season (did I mention I am a bit competetive?) Had fun, had fun, had fun!

So, you can come out and participate at the level you want, spend what you want (or not) and check it all out. Now I'm considering a DE event or something to help with my driving skills, but I plan on keeping the car mostly stock next year as well (mods such as splitter, trunk spoiler, and clear side markers don't really change performance ) However, I am going through tires a bit faster... maybe I'll add new wheels to my wish list!

Hope to see you out at an autocross next season. Are you considering coming to the holiday party?

Later,
C-
Old 12-03-2003, 10:01 AM

Iain, the key words are "IF your goal is to improve the driver..." I know quite a few people that are at it for fun and don't care to improve, and enjoy spending as much money on the car as anything else. My opinion is that Jeremy and others let modifying the car get in the way of improving driving... not to say they don't improve, but it makes improving the driver more of a moving target. But whatever works- I like working on my car and while it might make improving ME more difficult, I enjoy it.

I didn't realize your fly was that pricey!

My only "real" suggestion to catfish is to be wary of getting too involved if money isn't flowing freely. I stuck with street tires for the longest time because it's much cheaper than getting race rims and tires even considering the additional wear. Try it, then start spending money based on your own personal requirements.

Quick Reply: noob autocross questions