North Texas Club

noob autocross questions

Old 12-02-2003, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CMiS2K
Old 12-02-2003, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by CMiS2K
If you were to go to court and to trial would you just show up?
If you were going to try snowboarding for the first time, would you buy a carbon fiber racing snowboard and super-expensive boots with a hundred adjustments? If you were learning to drive for the first time, would you buy a Formula 1 car beforehand? New drivers aren't consistent enough to benefit from optimizing their cars; as in these examples, until they achieve that consistency, money spent on go-fast parts is much better spent on more seat time (or on bribing the significant other in exchange for a Sunday day pass ).

I've been autocrossing for quite a few years now; I've seen novices come and go, I've taught at novice schools, and I've helped many novices develop into non-novices. Everyone sucks the first time. Denying that is just setting yourself up for a big fall. Spending lots of money beforehand generally just makes the big fall bigger.

The key when you're starting out is not to get discouraged -- enjoy driving your car as fast as you can, and worry about beating everyone else later. If that differs from your experience, fine, but my view aligns with the consensus on places like the Evolution list, where the really experienced people (and the professional instructors) hang out.

Steve
Old 12-02-2003, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

marcus,

You hit my style and personality on key, no disagreements with what you said at all. You also had previous auto-x experience and you are well above the average driver.

i take things to the extreme sometimes, i won't lie all the time
Old 12-02-2003, 01:05 PM

Contrary to what some people would lead you to believe, you can not only show up and have fun, but you can also be competitive without throwing several thousand dollars worth of parts at your car. I'll let my results speak for themselves.

If you want to learn to be a better driver, spend the cash on going to events instead. If you decide it's something you like and you want to really focus on being a better driver, take some cash and sign up for an Evo school, or attend the Maverick Region Porsche Club of America Spring Beginner and Advanced autocross schools. These schools provide awesome bang for the buck, and the best part about it is this - throwing parts at a car makes that car faster. Learning how to become a better driver makes every car you drive faster.

Iain
Old 12-02-2003, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CMiS2K
You also had previous auto-x experience and you are well above the average driver.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by altiain
Contrary to what some people would lead you to believe, you can not only show up and have fun, but you can also be competitive without throwing several thousand dollars worth of parts at your car. I'll let my results speak for themselves.
Conversely, my results prove how you can throw several thousand dollars worth of parts at your car and still be uncompetitive.

Steve
Old 12-02-2003, 03:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PedalFaster
If you were going to try snowboarding for the first time, would you buy a carbon fiber racing snowboard and super-expensive boots with a hundred adjustments?
Old 12-02-2003, 03:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by altiain
Old 12-02-2003, 03:25 PM

wow! thanks guys for all the responses!!! I kinda figured this year was a wash, and that it would be next spring before anything really popped up worthwhile.

I AM your typical Type A agressive/competitive personality, and to be honest I'm really freaked out that I'll like this stuff so much that I'm going to try super hard to NOT be too competitive.
I've got plenty of those hobbies as it is now. For the time being, I guess I just want to have a fun time and learn to drive at a higher level than I am now.
I'll be looking up those web pages and hope to see some of ya'll next spring, if not before.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mxt_77

Quick Reply: noob autocross questions