Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

No front plate: any problems?

Old 03-28-2005, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No front plate: any problems?

So many S's I see don't have the front license plate; it looks to me like dealers don't even make our babies wear those abominations. Yet the law requires them. Anyone around here ever have trouble with the black-and-whites because of a missing front plate?

Incidentally, I posted a related poll in S2000 talk at https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=279332, but this question is more a local one.

And in case anyone wonders, I removed my front plate almost as soon as I got the car home.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:00 PM

I get to pay the "no front plate" tax about every 18 months... It's just part of the cost of owning a sports car...
Old 03-28-2005, 10:13 PM

And how taxing is that tax? Not like I'm planning on putting it back on, just curious.

If we get a lot of laser speed guns around here, they'll start enforcing it more, I bet.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:01 AM
jk

I've been pulled over 3 times for no front plate ~ 2 warnings and one ticket for $110. Each time, that was the only offense I was pulled over for. I finally broke down and put the plate on since the cop that gave me a warning patrols around my workplace. I figured he won't be so forgiving the next time around.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:10 AM

I have lived in TX for a little over 3 years now and neither of my Hondas have had a front plate. When I lived in Cali, 5+ years, I never ran a front plate either. I have never been cited for it in either State. Not even when I was stopped for speeding, or the many stops I have had due to expired inspection stickers.
Guess I'm just lucky.
*knocking on wood as I type*
Old 03-29-2005, 05:33 AM

No tickets for speeding or plates yet, thankfully.
Jon
Old 03-29-2005, 05:43 AM

I have not used a front plate in TX (Plano, San Antonio, Dallas, and travelling everywhere in between) since 1994. I've had close to a dozen run-ins with the law, be it speeding tickets or just speeding warnings, and no one has ever so much as mentioned it to me. Take that for what it's worth...

Ryan
Old 03-29-2005, 06:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My son paid the tax on his Miata but I have never had the police even look at me.

Bend your plate up and carry it with you in the trunk so you can show it and say it had been hit and you are looking for a new holder bracket
Old 03-29-2005, 07:40 AM

I have never had a front plate in the past 10 years. and I've only gotten two tickets. one was on my truck in richardson. I was doing 107 and he was a jerk.. he took it VERPY personally that I was speeding.. like I was breaking HIS OWN PERSONAL law... so he gave me the no front plate too.. and thena week and a half later in Grapevine I got nicked for 85 and he gave me a ticket for not front plate too. that was thrown out (only had to pay the 10$ court fee) cause I told him I bought the truck used and it didn't come with a front plate or even bracket. which is true.

I got pulled over for speeding in my Integra GS-R once for only 10 over... or so the cop thought.. it was really 15 over (cop didn't know the speed limit dropped from 40 to 35 where I was) and he gave me a warning for the front plate and nice enough for the speeding too..

any other time the cop will just say you need to get a front license plate as he walks from the front to the back to read the plate.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:51 AM

There are sports cars all over town without plates. I keep my front plate under my front seat. I figure that is in close proximity to the front

Quick Reply: No front plate: any problems?