Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

My stolen 2007 S2000 was "Recovered"

Old 07-26-2007, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My stolen 2007 S2000 was "Recovered"

*UPDATED 08/26/07*

Insurance paid off my car. $31,577.57. Really good since It's significantly more than I paid for it. There was still some inequity from when I rolled the TSX into it, but I had a GAP policy. Just glad it's over.

My car was taken from Lewisville on 7/19. I reported it Stolen on the 20th after no towing co. said they had towed it. The car was found sunday morning, and they ran the VIN on the Firewall and notified me this morning. The investigator said the car was found off of 51 in North Denton County. I have no idea where that is, but the car is being stored near UNT. I signed the release for my insurance co. this morning and got to look at the car. They told me it was bad, but I had no idea. The primary investigator assumes the car was stripped and torched. Because of the condition, we'll never find out what was the purpose of the theft. I assumed a joyride, but not this. I'm kinda pissed because it seems my luck is really shitty. I'm fortunate that the car was leased. I'm very pissed that I won't recover my downpayment or be reimbursed for the stereo upgrades. If anyone can give me advice how to recover any of that let me know. That was my fourth S2000, and I'd never had any problems with Vandalism or anything. Thus I was very surprised about the theft. The police and the Insurance are still investigating so I'll keep you guys posted. The police say they have a few leads in Wise county, wherever that is.

[B]
Old 07-26-2007, 02:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the bright side, at least they totalled it rather than leave you with a ragged out car that "could be fixed." I'm so sorry that happened to you. That just sucks!

On a security note, I thought these cars had a chip in the key that the car won't start without a chipped key? Is it possible to hotwire it? I didn't think a theft like this was all that easy unless the thief had a key.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Sponsor
Vendor - Starter Primary

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

When my RSX was stolen, I showed them a list of all my modifications, and they said they would only cover stereo and wheels unless I had previously told them about the mods. So, I got reimbursed 2k for my wheels and 1k for stereo, with receipts required (out of a total of 10k, I'm still paying on my credit card for some of the mods ). You may want to check with your insurance company about that.
I'm guessing his S was towed, as was my RSX.

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd think anyone that had the expertise to steal the car would've only done it for profit. However, they left everything in the car (engine, seats, wheels, etc). Maybe they took your stereo equipment, but it doesn't seem like they would leave all the other valuable stuff behind and take a couple hundred dollars worth of stereo stuff. That just doesn't make sense. Sometimes I really hate people.
Originally Posted by Sondra S2K
On a security note, I thought these cars had a chip in the key that the car won't start without a chipped key? Is it possible to hotwire it? I didn't think a theft like this was all that easy unless the thief had a key.
That's true, unless the thief has their own ECU that they can swap in (since the immobilizer is in the ECU). Plus, they could always just tow the car away.

Edit: Yeah, regarding the add-ons... it depends on your insurance company. When my car was stolen in college, I had about 3 grand worth of electronics in it. Unfortunately, my generic Comprehensive coverage only covered $1500 worth of add-ons. Check your policy.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man - thats incredible... You've had a bike and a car stolen in less than 6 months..... Remind me not to park anywhere near you!

Really sorry it happened...

Anyone called dibs on those rims yet? (J/K man)....
Old 07-26-2007, 03:46 PM

dang scott. that sucks. at least its an s2k and not the 997 you were thinking about. that mighta been a bit more of a heart ache.

on a brighter note, those lugs look really nice after being super heated.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll tell you where the car is
Old 07-26-2007, 05:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Holy crap, I thought that little scratch on your bumper was bad a few weeks ago. I've never seen a car this messed up before, hope everything works out for you Scott.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:51 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Where was the car parked? Did you have any kind of aftermarket alarm on it?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:12 PM

Ok........I am no investigator!! but based on the pictures I would say it was not a steal and strip job... I mean they didnt take rims, the seats, the top, the hood, or the trunk. The fire was so hot it literally incinerated the aluminum parts, in the pic you can see pieces of it, looks like your stereo was still in it...and a fire hot enough to do that to aluminum would have melted all the plastic parts. So I dont know about steeling it to strip it..who did you make mad?? Any Ex's?? LOL Sorry about your loss man that totally SUCKS!!! HOPE THEY CATCH THEM!!!!

Quick Reply: My stolen 2007 S2000 was "Recovered"