Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Mineral Wells...

Old 06-02-2002, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mineral Wells...

Sure enjoyed watching the AutoX, Saturday. It was great meeting other S2K owners and seeing them enjoying their cars so much. This is one senior who will probably never run the course, but at least I can vicariously "race" my GP white S2000. I look forward to future group events.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:52 AM

Wow, what a day! I think I'm finally recovering from the combined effects of the sun, heat, hard work and a whole lot of fun.

Thanks to everyone who helped to put together and participate in our second Auto-X for 2002. The hard work and planning that went into this one was apparent and contributed to a much smoother running event.
If you would like to contribute a written account of your experiences at the Auto-X for the S2KCA newsletter feel free to post them here or PM me. We are required to submit at least two stories in exchange for the support our club receives from S2KCA to host these events.

Stefan Vann
Executive Director NTS2KOC
Old 06-02-2002, 05:38 PM

OK, I need pictures, times, etc. I am so annoyed that I missed this one. I totally forgot about it until it was mentioned at the John Eagle Weekend at TWS. By then I had already opened my mouth and invited folks to the lake. (For those less cooth, its considered rude to invite people over and then skip out to drive your car )

Who now reigns as the fastest Silver/Red in Texas?

Regards,

Al
Old 06-02-2002, 08:21 PM

It was a great time! I am still worn out from, sun, fun, a little work, and a lot of play. This was my first Auto-X event ever and I am now hooked!

Thanks for everone that organized and sponsored the event from the begining. I don't have any other events to compare to this one to, but from the outside looking in, it was smooth.

I look forward to the next event!
Old 06-03-2002, 12:31 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Some thoughts on the event:
  • The two-lap runs are, by far, the most efficient method.
  • The human operator equation in the timing system requires that no more than two cars be on the track at the same time. Otherwise, it just gets way too complicated to keep track of.
  • Speaking of, we're wondering if there's any better timing software out there. I don't know if it's possible for some software to know that driver A is taking an extra lap, driver B came in after only one lap, that sort of thing - all that's done manually right now.
  • A more robust timing sensor is needed. Actually, a better relfector array could work really well - anybody have a hot glue gun and a couple milk crates? Glueing together an array of bicycle reflectors would hopefully work well, and mounting the sensor in a shaded box should help too.
  • How'd the instuctors work out? Something you'd like to see in future events? We had much fewer DNFs this event - of course, that might be to Clovis's course design...

And of course, thanks to everybody for coming out. We really appreciate the help in the morning we got. I hope you had an enjoyable event! I expect to have the results up tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2002, 01:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I suggest that you ask for a certain number of volunteers to come early for setup, and some to stay late to clean up. I came early to help, and it seemed like there may have already been too many, then in the evening, I was too worn out to help clean up. If I had known how many people were coming early, I would have come later, and stuck around to help clean up.

I thought the event was a lot of fun, but I wish I could have avoided all the 1st to 2nd gear grinding after the tight corners.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I forgot to mention that I think that David Rierson and Todd Marcucci have fallen to the Dark Side, and used the Force to beat all of us mortals on street tires!
Old 06-04-2002, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think gernby has a good point - I showed up early too, but there were more workers than work to be done. But at least I brought donuts!

I had an excellent time on Saturday, and it was nice to get a chance to put a face with some of the names I see on the board.

Kudos to clovis for the excellent course design - I have to say that was one of the most enjoyable courses I've run out at Mineral Wells in the last couple of seasons. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-05-2002, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, I'm not sure what the Director meeting schedule is, but if we can hook up at some point in the next week or two, I'd like to learn the timing system as well as borrow it and engineer some better sensors and alignment method to it. I don't think it would be very difficult from an electrical/mechanical standpoint and I would be VERY interested in improving what I think is the weakest link in our fine autocross setup!
Old 06-08-2002, 08:26 PM

2 panoramic shots of Minerwells. My girlfriend only got these two. Thought I would share with everyone.

I'm going to the BMW event this weekend. Hope to see some of you there. I want to see how the BMW handle at a track, considering I looked at the Z3.

Quick Reply: Mineral Wells...