Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Miata 3.636 ring and pinion?

Old 02-23-2005, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Elistan,Feb 23 2005, 09:08 PM] Ouch! David, hopefully you'll get back on your feet quickly. Where in Richardson are you? Perhaps I can swing by during my lunch break some day. How much were the gears new?

Fred... So, hmm, what exactly is this REM
Old 02-24-2005, 07:03 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby,Feb 23 2005, 09:22 PM
Maybe you should just swap trannies with an '00-'03 person and be done with it.
I can't imagine a whole tranny + installation to be any cheaper than a ring/pinion + installation.

Although I daydream every once in a while of putting the '00 enging/tranny assembly into the '04 car, I don't think I'd get much money from selling the '00 car after that.

Or, instead of selling the '00 car for $14k, I could use the engine/tranny to go into one of those WCM S2K Ultralights. The kit lits for $18,750. I wonder how much I could sell a roller S2000 chassis for?

Hmm. Nah, I'll keep things simple. Gotta buy a hose one of these days, need that money for a down payment.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I wasn't really serious about swapping trannys, but it isn't a very complicated swap (just time consuming). Hell, you could just swap the '00 tranny you have now into the '04, and put the '04 into the '00.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:09 AM

I know, I saw your smiley.

A tranny swap, however, will still leave me with a slightly reduced speed range for each gear - due to the lower redline. The 3.636 rear end gear offsets both the shorter reduction gear and the lower redline. And assuming the F22C1 truly does make more power than the F20C, it should still accelerate faster.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The thing I would be concerned about with the 3.636 gears with the '04 tranny is that your 6th gear is going to be MUCH higher than it was in the '00-'03 models. It may wind up being fine, but it could also wind up being unuseable.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:35 AM

True - but as long as I can maintain highway speeds I should be fine. And get a nice boost in milage as well!

Though it would hurt on the straight at TWS, since I'd have to use the taller 5th gear.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Gernby. A tranny replacement is a lot easier than seting up a new ring and pinoin gear set.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My house is near the intersection of Plano Road and Campbell road which is about 1 mile east of Central.

My office is on Spring Valley right outside Richardson Square Mall.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but in getting ready to assemble my Ultralite I have just found a source for brand new 2.2 engines/trannies/harnesses and ecus. Do you reckon there's a market for my "extras"?

In a mix/match scenario some of the guys are putting the older trannies with the newer engines to regain some of the lost revs. Engineer types say that you can put an older ecu on the newer engine with no harm (at least based upon the rod/stroke ratio).

In the Ultralite I was going to try swapping the tranny from my 02 and also try using the 02 ecu to see what combo works out the best.

Have you heard of anyone swapping ecus? Since you have both you might just try an ecu swap. I've got a Innovaate wideband 02 gauge if you want to check it out.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:53 AM

David, here's a topic I started about spinning the 2.2 liter engine at 9000rpm.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=270713&hl=

There are reports of it having been done with an older ECU but no dyno charts, and a dyno of a 2.2 running at 8500rpm with an AEM EMS. The common opinion seems to be that it can be done, but will eventually lead to a broken rod. I want to be able to go to the redline every shift, not just every once in a while when I need to beat somebody to the next corner, so I'm probably not going to go this route until it's proven safe.

I've heard that hardtopguy has several full 2.2 assemblies available.

With the power to weight ratio of the Ultralight, I can certainly understand wanting tall gear ratios!
Old 02-24-2005, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had done a search and gotten nowhere. Your link led me to 3 or 4 places and even a dyno of the 2.2 at 8500 rpms that showed no fall off of power.

In one place people said it got pig rich above 8000 which doesn't make sense since they were using the 2.0 ecu. They attributed it to a flow bottle neck which does make a certain amount of sense EXCEPT if there were that kind of bottleneck it should effectively limit ALL power increases no matter the type and we know others have gotten more power out of the car.

I found out that the rod ratio of the FC22 is good. It is just barely out of the ideal range so that tells me there is something to my engineer buddies thoughts.

But if in fact it does go pig rich using the FC20 ecu then an emanage (which I have) could solve that problem.

When I posted I had expected one of 2 responses:

1) SURE, makes great power and we'll all be doing by next year

2) It caint be done, noway, nohow

Although I didn't get either response this looks more promising than I had any right to expect.

Having driven an 04 and having listened to other people who have driven both at the track or autocrosses when you couple the lower rev limit with the lower gears it makes for a lot of extra gear shifting and slower times (with the same driver). But it does make for a slightly better daily driver.

I can see where the older tranny would help a little, but it does look like the safest, simplest fix is the higher rear end gears.

Of course that won't stop me from trying the ecu swap.

Quick Reply: Miata 3.636 ring and pinion?