Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

It may be totaled...

Old 08-18-2001, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad to hear you are okay and I'm sorry to hear your car is banged up. The rain was so heavy that morning I doubt any tire would have made much of a difference. Once you hit deep enough water you're just along for the ride. My girlfriend spun on the same stretch of I 30 in her Accord a few years back. She also ended up facing the wrong way. Even with brand new all season tires on my Civic loaner I managed to float across several spots. I'd been upset that my car was still in the service department until that point and then realized I would not have driven it in that mess.
I still think the S is fine in the rain but it does take additional care. I became a believer when crossing the Atchafalaya Highway last year. My tires had reached about 9000 miles and couldn't pump enough water. The 911 I was traveling with had brand new S-02's. He left me behind at well over 70 mph. The best I could manage was a white knuckled 50 with a lot of fishtailing. The rainy winter persisted back home so I replaced the rear 02's though there was ample tread remaining at 12K. The fronts were good for another 12K.
I feel for you. My car is in the clinic far a few more weeks (parts backordered). Hopefully they can get your's back on the road or total it quickly.

Stefan
Old 08-19-2001, 04:45 AM

Glad your ok!

How did the car do from a safety standpoint? Airbags go off? Did the crumple zones crumple? Just wanted some feedback on how the car handled getting bumped around. I'd go with the Michelin tires as my recommendation too. It's all about how quick they can channel the water from within the treads. Hydroplaning suks.

CiscoKid.
Old 08-19-2001, 05:41 AM

I'm very sorry to hear what happened, but at least you are not injured. I'm sure that was one scary experience (especially when you were facing the traffic).

I could feel my car wanting to hydroplane Fri morning in the rain, but I really kept my speed down. I've really been thinking about getting a second car for crappy weather days. I'm also thinking of getting the s03's when the 02's wear out.

I hope your insurance company does you right. Keep us informed.
Old 08-19-2001, 07:51 AM

I had just gotten on the highway, so I was doing ~50mph. Oh, and it is four lanes of traffic there, so I crossed TWO left lanes before hitting the wall.

As far as the safety equipment goes, everything worked as designed. Both doors can open, and the airbags did go off. I had never seen the results of seat belt pretensioners, but I can definitely feel them in my ribs! I didn't even hit the airbag. The passenger side seat belt is pulled hard into the seat - once the pretensioners fire, the belt won't retract and can't be pulled out any farther.

I have pictures now, but I don't know how to post them. I guess you have to have a website to link to, which I don't have set up. Let me know if any of you can help.
Old 08-19-2001, 03:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

malford, feel free to email them to me and I'll put them on a site for you. randy@buymeaferrari.com

glad you are ok and interesting about firing of the tensioners.
Old 08-19-2001, 11:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

car02.jpg
car03.jpg
car04.jpg
car05.jpg
car06.jpg
car07.jpg
car08.jpg
car09.jpg
car10.jpg
car11.jpg
car12.jpg
car13.jpg
Old 08-20-2001, 02:57 AM

I'm not an adjuster but I have to think you will be picking out your next stook soon. That looks pretty bad. Let us know what your insurance company tells you.
Old 08-20-2001, 09:18 AM

Wow...mine didn't look nearly that bad.
Old 08-20-2001, 01:41 PM

Sorry to see another S2K owner in the repair shop. Misery loves company but I wish you guys would quit joining me (spun out 8/14). Glad you are OK, and hope you'll be back together again soon.
Old 08-20-2001, 01:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is a serious bummer. It looks totaled though, which is a real crime. Most importantly though, it is good to hear that you are ok.

Quick Reply: It may be totaled...