Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

LSC BMWCCA AX #6 - August 7th, 2010

Old 08-11-2010, 06:10 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Miatamoto,Aug 10 2010, 09:38 PM
I have a feeling with the high participation numbers in STR and the deeper wallets in this class that this class will progress quickly. There are a lot of big names like Glagola, Harvey and Pedroza running STR.

Driving non-flashpro'd cars with flashpro'd cars back to back. I'm sold. The lack of aggressive vtec switch over and the fat midrange are a big deal.

At this past autocross I dropped over 2 seconds from Vo's car in the morning in a FlashPro'd 06 with a much less developed suspension. I was fighting the handling all afternoon, but had no problem making up a lot of time.

Also, Dave and Greg have not even taken advantage of a full dyno tune. That said, I applaud Greg for the power he's made on his tune. The car feels great.
I don't think the entire 2 seconds was the car. There is always a LOT more grip in the afternoon at TMS. Nearly everyone runs 2-3 seconds faster in the PM vs AM there. I dropped 2 full seconds and the increase in grip was so great that my car was undriveable in the AM and just on the edge of too loose in the PM.

I need to get a drive in a flashpro 06+ car to see but for now I'm still skeptical that it would make or break you at Nationals.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Joseph; I can't see 2 secs being knocked off from power alone. We're talking about maybe a 20-30% increase in power and another 2000RPMs of usable power (according to Gernby), but it's still no Vette. I don't see how that could drop you 2 secs compared to Vo's car compared to more grip & better driving. However, I do think a Flashpro is an advantage. Any advantage you have will help you at Nationals.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower,Aug 11 2010, 08:10 AM
I don't think the entire 2 seconds was the car. There is always a LOT more grip in the afternoon at TMS. Nearly everyone runs 2-3 seconds faster in the PM vs AM there. I dropped 2 full seconds and the increase in grip was so great that my car was undriveable in the AM and just on the edge of too loose in the PM.

I need to get a drive in a flashpro 06+ car to see but for now I'm still skeptical that it would make or break you at Nationals.
Agreed, but my point was that even with the poor handling of the car (sorry Dave) the power was able to overcome the difference.

Either way it was a good bit faster than the street tire Toyota Elise!

If you haven't driven the cars back to back, continue your bench racing.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=Miatamoto,Aug 10 2010, 10:38 PM] Also, Dave and Greg have not even taken advantage of a full dyno tune.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Miatamoto,Aug 11 2010, 09:13 AM
Agreed, but my point was that even with the poor handling of the car (sorry Dave) the power was able to overcome the difference.

Either way it was a good bit faster than the street tire Toyota Elise!

If you haven't driven the cars back to back, continue your bench racing.
I suspect if you drove both cars in the same heat Dave's car wouldn't have been close to Vo's car. The change in conditions was the big factor. Nearly every S2000 driver picked up 2-3 seconds in the PM vs the AM time regardless of the car driven.

If Dave's car's power makes it about equally fast to Vo's better handling car, how did Mozo run 3 full seconds faster in the afternoon all of a sudden?

Just let me put some proper tires on my car (not wear bar nearly 2 year old star specs) and I'll be happy to run em again. Don't get too used to beating me
Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 AM

No offense taken Thomas, the car was a complete mess compared to Vo's as far as the suspension goes.

Yes, I agree there was more grip out there in the afternoon which partially contributed to the drop in time. I have to agree with Thomas though. The extra power definitely had something to do with keeping the car competitive with the garbage suspension setup I had. Well, that and the fact that Thomas can drive pretty much anything fast. Something I cannot yet do and the reason I finished 5th.

I think a 20-30% bump in power is pretty significant. Especially over a 3000 rpm window and in the part of the powerband that matters. There is no bolt on for this car (short of FI) that you can buy that will give you this kind of result. Not to mention it helps with gear selection and makes the car easier to rotate using the throttle. Well worth the $600 and then some.

If you have a DBW car and want to compete at a national level you would be a fool not to buy the FlashPro. Im not at all saying the other non-flashed cars cannot be competitive. For the money though, why not use this to your advantage if you had the opportunity?

FWIW, I flashed the car back to the stock tune last night and it feels like a complete dog.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 AM

[QUOTE=S2Dave,Aug 11 2010, 09:38 AM] No offense taken Thomas, the car was a complete mess compared to Vo's as far as the suspension goes.

Yes, I agree there was more grip out there in the afternoon which partially contributed to the drop in time.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:04 AM

The majority of the power is being made between 3-6000 rpm. No one said anything about making 30% more power at peak. The car has roughly 130lb/ft of torque between 3000 and 6000rpm. Its pretty well documeted that that the FlashPro adds between 20 and 30lb/ft of torque in that given range. Roughly 20%
Old 08-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmmm ... starting to think I'm on Cosmos ignore list ...
Old 08-11-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower,Aug 11 2010, 09:29 AM
If Dave's car's power makes it about equally fast to Vo's better handling car, how did Mozo run 3 full seconds faster in the afternoon all of a sudden?
That's an easy answer. Yes, there was more grip and that's part of the reason Zo went faster, but ask him, Vo's car was just that much easier to drive.

Dave is right, at $600 the FlashPro seems like a solid investment. Other added benefits than the power increase: launch control, rev limiter adjustment, lower the VTEC engagement and getting rid of the power surge. It feels like a totally different car.

Quick Reply: LSC BMWCCA AX #6 - August 7th, 2010