Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

LSC BMWCCA AX #6 - August 7th, 2010

Old 08-09-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby,Aug 9 2010, 05:19 PM
It's a little tougher to determine "worth" on something like this. Is it worth it to spend $2K on coilovers? If you're going to build an STR car that is competitive beyond the local level, you have to be able to fix the stock tune. He could get an AEM EMS V1 used for considerably less, but it won't pass state inspection, and I don't think all of the gauges work (IIRC). I deflinitely don't think it would be cheaper to trade his current S2000 for an '06, then buy a FlashPro.
From what I've seen, the Emanage is legal for STR but only the fuel side. The ignition timing control is not legally done. The mechanical modifications necessary for the K-pro do not look legal and unless the K-pro ECU will fit in a stock S2000 ECU housing (not an RSX housing), it's definitely not legal.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by gernby,Aug 9 2010, 05:19 PM
If you're going to build an STR car that is competitive beyond the local level, you have to be able to fix the stock tune.
Respectfully I would disagree considering the current state of the class. After looking at the dyno results from reflashes I don't think it's necessary at all at least for the next few years.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Miatamoto,Aug 9 2010, 09:39 PM
From what I've seen, the Emanage is legal for STR but only the fuel side. The ignition timing control is not legally done. The mechanical modifications necessary for the K-pro do not look legal and unless the K-pro ECU will fit in a stock S2000 ECU housing (not an RSX housing), it's definitely not legal.
I think the K-Pro is actually 2 ECUs, and might be considered like a piggy-back setup as far as the rules go. If the eManage can't be used for ignition tuning ,then you might as well just get a NEO. You may be able to achieve 50% of the gains just from that.

What do the rules say about ignition timing? If it says that you can't alter timing by any means, then you're screwed, since I don't know of any piggy-back that will allow you to only alter fuel. Even the NEO alters timing indirectly by altering MAP.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Davidss,Aug 10 2010, 02:40 AM
Respectfully I would disagree considering the current state of the class. After looking at the dyno results from reflashes I don't think it's necessary at all at least for the next few years.
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that all the cars in STR are currently slow, and the S2000 wouldn't need an extra 20 ft-lbs of torque in the mid-range to dominate the class nationally?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by gernby,Aug 10 2010, 09:35 AM
Are you saying that all the cars in STR are currently slow, and the S2000 wouldn't need an extra 20 ft-lbs of torque in the mid-range to dominate the class nationally?
I guess that's one way of putting it. Given the class and chassis' current state of un-development if you are worried about a few horses you're focused on the wrong thing. If I were building an STR car the main thing I would focus on is doing a LOT of testing. At least a weeks worth maybe two.

And there are other options to a $1700 retune. Beside the emanage there is the unichip, perfect power smt6, megasquirt, and many others. And yes it is legal to play with both ignition, timing, and vtec engagement with a piggyback.

Another way of thinking about it. Do you think that having a refreshed motor is necessary? Obviously not right now, but in a few years it will par for the course...
Old 08-10-2010, 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=gernby,Aug 9 2010, 05:55 PM] We don't have 500 more RPMs.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

No, it really isn't about focussing on a few horses. A well tuned S2000 is just plain easier to drive. Gear selection isn't as critical, and the smooth power delivery makes the car more predictable. EDIT: I do understand your point about the class not being mature yet.

Dave, your tune started out with the same ignition maps that I use, which are very different from stock. I am considering having my car dyno'ed at T1, but I don't think there's any more power to be found in a tune. I've spent hundreds of hours tweaking here and there, and I just don't think there's anything more to be made. To be honest, as a matter of pride, I've considered flashing it back to stock, then seeing if a professional could even get it as good as it is.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by gernby,Aug 10 2010, 12:05 PM
Dave, your tune started out with the same ignition maps that I use, which are very different from stock.
I should have clarified, I havent altered the timing from the tune we did about a month or two ago.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by S2Dave,Aug 10 2010, 10:45 AM
I have not. And I have not messed with tuning ignition timing either.

Haven't had my car on the dyno so I have no idea what the dyno plot looks like. Maybe I will flash mine back to stock just to see what it feels like. I think I am used to the reflash so its hard to remember how big or small a difference there is.

FWIW, Thomas and Zo drove my car and Vo's car pretty much back to back and said there was a considerable difference.

Greg, have you thought about taking your car over to T1 and having Tony fully tune it on a dyno?
Dave - feel free to take a spin in mine anytime. You will think it's slow.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:40 AM

Maybe next autocross we swap in the afternoon? Or fun runs? I am down if you are.

I'd love to try your setup and that way you could also see how you like the FlashPro.

Quick Reply: LSC BMWCCA AX #6 - August 7th, 2010