Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Looking for some advice, thoughts, whatever...

Old 02-10-2006, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some advice, thoughts, whatever...

We
Old 02-10-2006, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by CMan,Feb 10 2006, 09:31 AM
Nissan dealership that can put me in a brand new Nissan of my choice for a substantial discount (less than half price).
*redflag*

why would a dealership sell a new car for a big loss?
Old 02-10-2006, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by downhil,Feb 10 2006, 10:35 AM
*redflag*

why would a dealership sell a new car for a big loss?
Understood and that's the first thing that came to my mind, but they're "getting help from the government" to offset that "loss".

When I spoke with my bank / insurance agency about this, they said it's possible the dealership moved the car BEFORE the flood and has now claimed them through some sort of program with the government. I'm assuming because it's in New Orleans and who there is going to be worried about buying a $40K car when they need to fix their house first.

~C
Old 02-10-2006, 06:49 AM

hmmm...

lets imagine i've got an item that sells for 10k. I bought it for 8k and I've owned it for awhile and have been paying interest on it for months. Now for some reason the gov't. is willing to give me some amount of money to offset my loss or something to that affect. Do you think I would just unload the car for what I've got in it minus the subsidy amount?, or would I use the amount the gov't pays to offset my losses from the floods....

Who knows...but I would think that the dealer would want to sell the car for what they've got in it and pocket whatever the dealership gives them. I'm sure that the gov'ts money is for the huge losses that people from that area are facing, not to be a form of rebates for cars....

...just thinking out loud...
Old 02-10-2006, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New Orleans has actually created a spike in the car Market. Not quite the new car market, but the pre-owned market - so Even though they need to fix their home - they're still buying cars. Carfax will say "possible flood damage" on it's report if the car is one of these "government specials." There was a Taurus at One of the Nissan Stores that had this label on it. It didn't have any flood Damage, but it was tainted for life. It's good you can buy it cheap - a Bank may not finance it if the Carfax shows possible flood Damage. That's a problem they had with that Taurus and it went to the Auction. Another thing to consider is Resale down the road, the Z isn't as strong as the S is to begin with, and you have one that came from a Hurricane area. If you do get it - Buy it for as little as possible.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:07 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

RARELY will a dealership pass on savings they receive from a third party (in this case, the govt.) if the car is otherwise in perfect condition and no branded title.

If the title is branded as a possible flood car, you can kiss any resale goodbye down the road whether the car was flooded or not.

I would be VERY skeptical. If it's too good to be true......
Old 02-10-2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Feb 10 2006, 10:07 AM
RARELY will a dealership pass on savings they receive from a third party (in this case, the govt.) if the car is otherwise in perfect condition and no branded title.
thats essentially what i was getting at. why would they? if they are in a position to be getting gov't handouts, they need the money in their own pockets.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:23 AM

Well, it sounds like everyone is saying what I've been thinking/wondering. Trust me, I'm not about to jump at something that sounds too good to be true. However, if it is true (and it doesn't hurt to check) then I'm definitely interested.

What is the best way to tell if the car has been flooded? I'm assuming CarFAX.

Also, to maybe address the question about why would a dealership pass on the savings, which is a very legit question. I think it's because it's being offered to a friend of the dealer who is in turn offering it to his friends. I don't yet... still finding out all the details.

~C
Old 02-10-2006, 07:40 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

So, your wife's friend knows a guy who is friends with the owner of a car dealership and they want to give you a new, perfect Nissan at half price? Wow.

Don't trust Carfax to know of a branded title as I'm sure there is well working system in Lousiana (corrupt!!!!!!!!!!!!!) that washes any branded titles for a small fee. Not to mention the volume of flood damage vehicles is so great that many will slip through the cracks with a clear title.

Your best bet, if you really think you are getting a non-flood Nissan at half price is to take it to the best mechanic you know and literally have them start taking the inside of the car apart and checking for any water lines or flood damage.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by CMan,Feb 10 2006, 08:23 AM
What is the best way to tell if the car has been flooded? I'm assuming CarFAX.
tchah! I have NO faith in CarFAX.

How can you tell? By spending a few hours in, around, and underneath it with a flashlight. There is no way to hide flooding from an intelligent person who is paying attention and really looking.

I'd personally inspect every square inch of a car that I was suspicious about.

When I bought my S2K there were two very similar suspiciously low mileage cars that I was comparing. One of them had some weird corrosion on some of the bolt heads down lower on the engine and had a bunch of armor-all crap all over it where they had obviously spent a lot of time detailing it.

The other one (the one I bought ) had no suspicious corrosion or anything out of the ordinary - it looked very nice and clean - but it looked like it was still that way from the factory - not like it had been gone over by detail-monkeys.

Quick Reply: Looking for some advice, thoughts, whatever...