Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

If you have GEICO, you may want to read this

Old 01-17-2008, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you have GEICO, you may want to read this

----> Linkie <----

[QUOTE]This is a warning to everyone.

I just got off the phone with my insurance company (Geico) and they informed me that as of the end of the month my insurance policy is being cancelled.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's dumb.

Time trials are "timed competitive events". In my policy (State Farm), those are explicitly excluded from coverage, so I don't know why the insurance company would give a crap.

Sure, it is possible to file a claim if you had an accident at a TT event and pretend that it actually occurred on public roads, but it would be unethical (and illegal) to do that... just like I think it's unethical for Geico to drop someone's coverage just because they participate in these events.

Bummer to hear that, but now maybe the guy can move on to a decent carrier. I hope his experience encourages other people with Geico policies to check with their Geico representative, and if this is a global issue with Geico, then they should move on, too.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:25 AM

what about HPDE's?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, most any driving done on a track is excluded from coverage. Drag Racing, AutoX, HPDE, etc. HOWEVER, if you have some HPDE type things going on, untimed in something like a huge parking lot, that may not be excluded from coverage. Basically it's a safe bet to say that anything that's on a track or that is a contest is excluded.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

i have them. going back to state farm
Old 01-17-2008, 07:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FNR32,Jan 17 2008, 09:35 AM
Basically it's a safe bet to say that anything that's on a track or that is a contest is excluded.
Not really.

Like I said, only "timed competitive events" are excluded on my policy, so HPDEs would be covered... as would any other driver's education event that's not "high performance". Of course, that doesn't mean that your ins. company wouldn't drop you like a rock if you filed a claim for an accident that occurs as an HPDE. It just means that they can't deny your claim based solely on the fact that the accident occurred there.

The best way to be sure is to read your policy, then you'll know what's covered and what isn't.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:21 AM

Yeah geico sucks, my brother in law had his 300z flooded and they refused to return his calls and after a month offered to pay him 2500 on a car that blue books at 6500. Took them another 4 months just to get a fair offer from them, because they would not pick up or return his calls, neither would their supervisors. They suck, drop em' quick.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:16 AM

Haha, this is kind of ironic. After reading this, theres a banner at the bottom of the page that has an AD for Geico. "GEICO makes it easy."
Old 01-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Banned

When i was a punk arse kid, I used geico because my car insurance was gonna $5000/yr... They paid claims fairly, on time and provided pretty good service...

I think the solution is not to dump Geico, but to protect our identities on this site to avoid situations such as this.

I know I wouldn't want my real name published on the Auto-X results.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tx_Phantom,Jan 17 2008, 11:33 AM
When i was a punk arse kid, I used geico because my car insurance was gonna $5000/yr... They paid claims fairly, on time and provided pretty good service...

I think the solution is not to dump Geico, but to protect our identities on this site to avoid situations such as this.

I know I wouldn't want my real name published on the Auto-X results.
So instead of punishing a company that unfairly targets people who engage in legal activities, you'd rather resort to insurance fraud or leave yourself potentially without insurance coverage?

Quick Reply: If you have GEICO, you may want to read this