Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Help registering an out of state car in TX

Old 03-19-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help registering an out of state car in TX

Hey guys... I have to register my car in TX (I am out an out of state'r myself) and I have it pretty much covered except for a few questions which I need some help with.

1.) I have been told that you get your driver's license (Dept of Public Safety) in a different building than where you register (County Tax Office)? Is this true?? I have google'd it and found dmv.org which tells me that they are the same place? I live in Grapevine and the best place for me is the Hurst office off of 820.

2.) Emissions / Inspection... I have asked this before (MoZo... PM me where you got yours done please!!!) but is it REALLY just an OBD2 port check? No codes and all is right with the world? The rest is just blinker check, hazard check, horn check stuff?

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-19-2009, 10:49 AM

1. Yes different buildings, county tax office will do your registration and the DPS does the liscense.

2.Technically yes just an OBD2 check and then usual lights/tires/horn ect, but if they happen to get your car on a lift for whatever reason and see the test pipe they can fail you (although most places don't even care enough)
Old 03-19-2009, 10:51 AM

http://www.tarrantcounty.com/etax/cwp/view...105&etaxNav=%7C

^Locations of tax offices for registration, hurst one off grapevine highway is like 5 min from my place, every time i've been there they've always been really slow

:edit:

Also here is DPS locations for your DL. Hurst again appears to be closest to you

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administratio...archresults.asp
Old 03-19-2009, 11:27 AM

Yep... usual order of things:

1> Get a Texas drivers license...
2> Go to an inspection station (just about any quickie lube place will do) and show them proof of Texas Liability Insurance (call your agent and they can fax/email you a card).
3> upon completion of the inspection, ask for a "Green Sheet"... this the form you need to take with you to get your Texas tags.
4> Go to the county tag office, present them the Green Sheet, proof of insurance and the title to the car if you have one.

You should be set...
Old 03-19-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by RWD_RCKT,Mar 19 2009, 10:27 AM
2.) Emissions / Inspection... I have asked this before (MoZo... PM me where you got yours done please!!!) but is it REALLY just an OBD2 port check? No codes and all is right with the world? The rest is just blinker check, hazard check, horn check stuff?
Pm'd

They will connect your car to their computer and run some tests and will drive to test blinkers and stuff. Nothing to worry about, it's just basic blah!
Let me know if you need anything else.

And you are welcome
Old 03-19-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by txchopper5,Mar 19 2009, 10:51 AM
http://www.tarrantcounty.com/etax/cwp/view...105&etaxNav=%7C

^Locations of tax offices for registration, hurst one off grapevine highway is like 5 min from my place, every time i've been there they've always been really slow

:edit:

Also here is DPS locations for your DL. Hurst again appears to be closest to you

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administratio...archresults.asp
txchopper5... Thanks! This is what I was looking for. The dmv.org place was telling me to go to Hurst for both which I knew was wrong.

Dave04... thanks for info about the "green sheet." In California you register, then do emissions. In Texas, you do emissions first. You saved me a trip and a long line!!!

MoZo...
Old 03-19-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

inspection is just OBD-II and the regular safety stuff, I've failed before for tires (tread was REALLY low)