Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

help

Old 07-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So then it sounds like as long as you're not putting the car into a lower gear at what would be a high RPM for that lower gear, you should be able to downshift without really doing any damage. At least that's what I get from all these responses.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:59 PM

I'm so confused as to what we're talking about here...

A) Rev-matching / Heel & Toe does not hurt the car.
B) Engine braking can compliment regular braking if done so correctly. It requires point A however.
C) Skip shifting will hurt a transmission if going up.. Most prevelant if you run it hard thru 1st & 2nd gear -- the syncros for 5th & 6th cannot take the huge RPM difference between redline (8 or 9k) and a leasurly 3000RPMs. In time, this will kill the transmission.

FWIW, I skip-shift down all day long. I never skip-shift up. I use engine braking as normal practice, but I've been doing this since I was 17 so it's second nature as I never think about it. I do this with a Heel2Toe and a blip.

I don't have tranny problems yet -- I guess we'll see when I hit 100k.

To me, BigBird's problem seems to be a bent fork or bad syncro. If it's a bad sycnro, he should be able to rev-match it in. If it's a bad fork, it won't go into gear at all.

Edit: I wanted to add a smiley to let you guys know that I mean this to be helpful, if my post came off kinda harsh
Old 07-18-2006, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug0716,Jul 18 2006, 01:59 PM
Now that the thread has been hijacked fairly well... did you ever find the problem TJ (Big Bird)?
Wow, I'd forgotten that this was originally about the missing 5th gear

Did it come back on it's own?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:28 PM

well took the car to honda today and they only did a quick test drive...saying that 5th gear synchro is out but cant say for sure without busting down the tranny....also they are saying my clutch,"dosent feel stock" in that case the tranny wouldnt be warrentied,if the clutch is aftermarket then iam going to be mad as hell b/c i bought the warrenty from them and they should have told me about the clutch..i will find out hopefully in a few days what exactly will be going down..
Old 07-28-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi... print out the document linked here and show it to them:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=275215

Oh, and consider using more descriptive titles next time... When I came across this document, I went back to look for your thread and couldn't find it. Fortunately, I remembered that I had previously posted in it, so I searched for threads that I had replied to.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched them tear down your transmission today. Fifth Works - you just can't shift into it. Double Clutching worked appearantly. It looks like it's up to Honda as to the Fate of your Transmission. I hope you didn't cancel your Honda Care. I also noticed your Single exhaust on there - that might not be in your favor to have that thing on it.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:43 PM

well honda wants to be ****ing gay over a single CATBACK exhaust then they are useless and dont need to be selling warrenty's. and as i was told today fifth gear is broke and all the other ones are messed up as well..umm starting t think the honda certified shit is BS! i have seen s2000 that are supercharged or have a turbo on them not have any trouble with the gears, and they are gonna say its from abuse haha they are jsut not wanting to pay for something like a new tranny.there is no way that i have abused the car to the point where it is breaking gears.the s2000 must make so much power these days that it is twisting the axels and busting the trannies!!iam sorry but this is bs that it is taking this long to find out so little, service lied to me on several occasions saying that the tranny was out and it was a 5th gear synchro..they jsut were to scared to tel me they hadn't even touched my car!
Old 07-28-2006, 06:46 PM

o yea and as for the exhaust it was just put on there, fyi bought it from tim so yea i dont think my exhaust should void the warrenty, it jsut excuse for honda to say sorry but the exhasut you put on there add like a crazy amount of torque and hp and it ****ed yur tranny!
Old 07-28-2006, 06:54 PM

If it can be shifted into 5th by double clutching then my money would be on the synchro...

If they try to void the warranty:
Maybe they could explain to you how torque would throw a synchro out... that would be an interesting explination... you should get it in writing, that would be an interesting read.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:01 PM

right none of what they are saying makes any cents! they are jsut trying to waste my time by beating around the bush,and trying to say its my fault.i no plenty of otherr s2000 owners who drive there s2k hard as hell and never came across this problem. but just for the future of rest of the s2000 owners aftermarket exhaust will **** your tranny up!

Quick Reply: help