Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

First autocross of the '02 season Saturday March 23rd!

Old 03-11-2002, 10:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

What: NTS2KOC's third autocross.

When: Saturday, March 23rd.

Where: Mineral Wells airport. (Click here for a map.) It's about a 90 minute drive for me from the Addison area.

Registration: Come as early as you like, registration closes at 9:00am (the start of the driver's meeting) and first car on track is at 9:30am. We will have registration forms at the track. I should be able to put them online at some point, too. If you would like to walk to course to familiarize yourself with it, please do so before the driver's meeting.

Cost: $30 base price. $5 discount for club membership.

Lunch: I haven't confirmed this, but last time we had a grill and provided lunch for everybody. It rocked. Hopefully we'll be able to again this time.

Safety: Check your car, make sure it's in good condition. You'll need a helmet. Have fun but keep cool - we don't want to become personas non gratas. Especially, we don't want any damage to your car or your self.

Format: The day will be divided into several sessions. If you are not driving a particular session, you will be working that session. Work categories are timing/scoring, grid, and corner working. The number of participants will determine the exact nature and amount of the run sessions. I'm shooting for four total sessions, with about four hot laps each. (Therefore, each driver will get eight runs.)

Numbers: Each car will need a unique number. You can request a number on a first-come, first served basis. Please plan to bring your own. They need to be high contrast magnetics or adhesive vinyls on the doors - it's important to know who's who when multiple Silverstones are in the same session. (Tape will work too, by the way.) Pro Tape is one of the places you can go for numbers.

Passengers: Our insurance gives us the option of allowing passengers during runs. I think that's a great deal of fun, so feel free to bring somebody who'd like a thrill ride, or jump in somebody faster's car for some instruction. (If they're feeling generous, of course!) Sorry, no minors.

Fun runs: Depending on the time and how everybody feels, we might have additional fun-runs after then end of the official sessions.

Cleanup: Please, be nice and stick around to help us clean up the site when the day is done. It makes thing go so much easier.

Disclaimer: Any of the above could change at any time without any notice.
Old 03-11-2002, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this for sure?

I would suggest a modified version of the Mineral Ring since it only takes about 20 minutes to set up. Without a scaled map of the field it's difficult to draw/implement a track with all the hazards and gravel pits out there.

I don't have a map, but there are probably only two places where we would have to put in a chicane or tighten turns to keep speeds below 60MPH (or whatever we determine to be good). It would require minimal work/redesign to the course (probably only two gates).

I'll be more than happy to help set up for the event.
Old 03-11-2002, 01:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B]Is this for sure?
Old 03-11-2002, 01:45 PM

Here's a good picture of MW, along with the time trial courses, from Maverick Region PCA:
http://vista.pca.org//mav/Autocross/graphi.../Course123.html

Most of the bad debris/vegetation is in the vertical area on the right, curving a bit around to the left.

The only speeds over 70mph or so are achieved on the straight on the right. (I remember hitting 4th just a tiny bit there.) The top straight doesn't get out of 3rd, but it might require some slow-down too.
Old 03-11-2002, 05:25 PM

If it were up to me, I wouldn't run the Mineral Ring layout at Mineral Wells, at least not in a clockwise direction. Todd and I (among others) were out there about a month ago to help the local BMWCCA test out some new timing equipment, and we ran a course very similar to layout #1 on the above link.

The problem is, the surface at Min Wells has gotten so rough and unpredictable, has so much gravel, and the backside sweeper allows you to carry way too much speed along the northern (top on the website) edge of the surface. Thankfully, no one went off at the Bimmer event, but everyone who was invited out there had quite a bit of autocross and road race experience... i.e., no newbies/amateurs/beginners. In my Miata I was able to carry 85+mph through that sweeper, and I would expect a decently driven S2000 to exceed 90 mph, and come close to 100 mph on R compounds. Lift off in the wrong place, and it's a long way off into the weeds - backwards. Given the S2000's predilection for a being a little "twitchy" at the limits, throw in some people without a whole lot of racing experience, and it might not be a good combo. That's just my humble opinion, and I try to err on the side of caution when it comes to racing.

At any rate, expect to see at least one non-Honda roadster out there... provided my tires survive Pennington's concrete during the SCCA opener this coming weekend!
Old 03-11-2002, 05:28 PM

Damn... cancel that. I just remembered I promised my wife I'd replace the fence that weekend.

Oh well, have fun!
Old 03-11-2002, 07:30 PM

Initial post has been updated. Check it out. Have I missed anything?
Old 03-11-2002, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our speeds must be limited to 70 mph for insurance and safety purposes. To date we have been successful in avoiding the rough areas, potholes or vegetation with our course layouts. We would be open to further suggestions as long as we keep in accordance with the insurance regs. I'd be happy to discuss the details as they apply to our course layout and regulations.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:56 AM

Since Iain invited himself, is this event to be open to other autocrossers? I can guarantee a few Prelude people if allowed. These will be *experienced* racers that will be able to help do tech, grid, etc. as well as help any first-time drivers or "relatively-newbies."
Old 03-12-2002, 06:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by marcucci
Since Iain invited himself, is this event to be open to other autocrossers? I can guarantee a few Prelude people if allowed. These will be *experienced* racers that will be able to help do tech, grid, etc. as well as help any first-time drivers or "relatively-newbies."
Yes, all makes are invited provided the driver's are responsible.

Quick Reply: First autocross of the '02 season Saturday March 23rd!