Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Feeler: Kumho 712 tires (pair or whole set)

Old 02-03-2006, 09:09 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Feeler: Kumho 712 tires (pair or whole set)

Well I found out that the rear tire size on my girlfriend's car is incorrect (225/50/16 kumho 712) after talking to a few guys at the NSX drive and reading a few threads about how the S02's are about half an inch wider etc.

I understand people like to run either the 205/50/16 or 225/50/16 for the front with a bigger sway bar. So I'm thinking about moving the rear tires on it now (225's) to the front and buying her a pair of 245/45/16's.

I'm wondering if anyone might need some almost new front tires (205's) or maybe the whole set for a good price so we can go with the azenis or something else alltogether. I'm thinking 110 for the 205 pair.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand how moving the 225 to the front and putting 245 in the rear is going to change the stagger setup from what it currently is at 205 and 225. There is a 20mm difference in BOTH setups!

People run a stiffer fsb for the 225 and 245 setup just like you would with a 205 and 225.

If you just want a 5.5% wider tire in the rear then by all means buy a set of 245's. But your current stagger is not incorrect with the fsb.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:05 PM

[QUOTE=Clovis,Feb 3 2006, 12:54 PM] I don't understand how moving the 225 to the front and putting 245 in the rear is going to change the stagger setup from what it currently is at 205 and 225.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand that the S02s put a little more rubber on the ground with its 205/225 set up than other tires. I don't even want to ask this question because I dont want a huge thread to begin on this but... Wouldn't the extra grip really be more important to an aggressive driver? I have Fuzion 225s on the rear of my S and they do just fine.

Tx_Phantom
Old 02-03-2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower,Feb 3 2006, 01:05 PM
I understand that the 205/225 setup makes for the correct stagger but the tire width's are narrower (by half an inch in the rear and also a bit in the front going from a 205 to a 225) than original equipment so there's less grip. And since there is a stiffer/larger fsb wouldn't it be optimal to use the 225/245 setup for correct stagger and most tire contact patch?

Jim @ tirerack and 9 pages worth of discussion have pretty much summed up that if you don't have S02's you should be using 245/45/16 for the rear. You even posted that you agreed with that assessment in the same thread. 205/225's are quite a bit cheaper than 225/245's, I wish you would've at least put the correct widths on there to compensate for such a crappy dry grip tire. The same % stagger alone makes no sense to me, why didn't honda put a 195 wide tire in the rear and a 175 on the front then.
Not sure about the Kumho being a crappy dry grip tire. Elistan, as well as others here, like them a lot for a combined autocross and street tire. In addition, I believe your GF wanted something with decent wear. The S02 other sub-200 treadwear tires are not going to give her that.

Now back to your response. You are not taking into account that running a 225 front on the street everyday is going to wear down the middle and inside edge like an mf. This is because a 225 bulges on the narrow 6.5" front rim. I'm pretty sure I can prove the tires and the sizes are just fine by driving her car to a top finish in the street tire class on the 18th.

Cost had nothing to do with it and I think it is extremely rude that you are implying that. I gave you guys a very clean car, well set up, for a very reasonable price...

FWIW, this is one of the reasons I would have prefered to have sold the car to the dealer for $400 less. It's just not worth the beating after the sale. If an extra 5.5% more tread on the road along with a bulging front tire is going to make you happier with the car then I think you/your gf should do it.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Clovis,Feb 3 2006, 03:17 PM
Not sure about the Kumho being a crappy dry grip tire. Elistan, as well as others here, like them a lot for a combined autocross and street tire. In addition, I believe your GF wanted something with decent wear. The S02 other sub-200 treadwear tires are not going to give her that.

Now back to your response. You are not taking into account that running a 225 front on the street everyday is going to wear down the middle and inside edge like an mf. This is because a 225 bulges on the narrow 6.5" front rim. I'm pretty sure I can prove the tires and the sizes are just fine by driving her car to a top finish in the street tire class on the 18th.

Cost had nothing to do with it and I think it is extremely rude that you are implying that. I gave you guys a very clean car, well set up, for a very reasonable price...

FWIW, this is one of the reasons I would have prefered to have sold the car to the dealer for $400 less. It's just not worth the beating after the sale. If an extra 5.5% more tread on the road along with a bulging front tire is going to make you happier with the car then I think you/your gf should do it.
I've actually used the 712's before on my civic (205/50) and they aren't fantastic in the dry. I got about 20K miles and a season of autocross on my 245/40/17 MX's, they happen to be 200+ treadwear in the S2000 sizes. Regardless, I was more worried about the back being too narrow as the car has oversteer problems not understeer. Like I mentioned, I was mostly debating about the rear size. I was just thinking about moving the 225's to the front since a few people including Jim @ tirerrack reccomended it.

Sub 4000 rpms (30-40% throttle) in 1st gear @ 15 mph on a 60 degree day shouldn't make the tail come out like that on dry pavement. That limit of grip doesn't make me feel too comfortable and while i'm not an experienced driver I can correct a basic oversteer. I just asked for your opinion on why you did what you did via pm. It didn't seem to match up with what everyone else on the forum said.

I never asked you to buy us new tires or demand anything from you so I don't see why you have to barge into my thread accusing me. And if I thought you were being cheap I would've just asked you why you didn't put some original S02's on it. The fact of the matter is, I don't care if it's a 100 or 300 dollar tire as long as it performs like it should from the factory and is predictable.

It really doesn't matter though, I'm probably just going to try some 245's on the rear and see if that suits my more "amateur" driving style better. I aplogize if I offended you.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't you change the alignment settings? Does that have anything to do with it?
Old 02-03-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by rioyellows2k,Feb 3 2006, 04:37 PM
Didn't you change the alignment settings? Does that have anything to do with it?
The last time I brought it in to get aligned I just wrote down the euro specs and had him try that. When David took the RA's out and put the stockers back in, it needed an alignment so I just did a search and went with what most people reccomended. I'm going to see if adding some camber or more rear toe in might help next week. I thought it was you and maybe Richard that also pointed out the rear tire is supposed to be 245 if it wasn't a S02.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower,Feb 3 2006, 04:30 PM
It didn't seem to match up with what everyone else on the forum said.

I never asked you to buy us new tires or demand anything from you so I don't see why you have to barge into my thread accusing me.
It doesn't match up with what "everyone else" would tell you to have for a STOCK S2000, including me, because you do not have a STOCK front bar. I'll gladly give you the stock bar from my attic if you'd like to try it out with a set of 245's on the back. But before you spend the money you may want to pick up a ruler and see how little .5" is.

And I didn't accuse you of anything other than being a little rude.

That's it, good luck getting your girl friend's car sorted.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:39 PM

[QUOTE=Clovis,Feb 3 2006, 07:02 PM] It doesn't match up with what "everyone else" would tell you to have for a STOCK S2000, including me, because you do not have a STOCK front bar.

Quick Reply: Feeler: Kumho 712 tires (pair or whole set)