Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Favorite Autocross Elements?

Old 08-11-2004, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marcucci,Aug 11 2004, 02:23 PM
What they didn't plan for was the circus-style finish that a lot of people did, trying to hang on while rocketing out of the loop.
That finish also sounds like a disiaster waiting to happen for the timing gear!
Old 08-11-2004, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it was at the last event, one of the Bimmer guys got to buy a new timing light. Good thing they carry backups...
Old 08-11-2004, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by marcucci,Aug 11 2004, 07:03 PM
I think it was at the last event, one of the Bimmer guys got to buy a new timing light. Good thing they carry backups...
Ouch!!! Do you know if we have backups at the NTS2KOC events? That would really suck if a timing light was taken out in the middle of an event if we didn't have a backup.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Photodavo,Aug 11 2004, 05:24 PM
Ouch!!! Do you know if we have backups at the NTS2KOC events? That would really suck if a timing light was taken out in the middle of an event if we didn't have a backup.
Yes, we purchased an extra set of lights just in case. Not cheap, but good insurance against a ruined day.

Marcucci, not running out of ideas...just thought it would be fun to have each drivers favorite element incorporated into a course. Sort of like a bring your favorite dessert.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too am for an increasing or constant radius sweeper. I don't know about a 360 because it could create an issue if a car gets too close. Many times cars close up the distance but it stretches back out when the lead car gets to a fast section.

I like the idea of gradually increasing the space on the slaloom or even just more space all along. The really tight slalooms don't really seem to serve a purpose.

Speaking of things that don't serve a purpose - really tight gates and that one slightly offset gate in a series that screws up the line. If it lead into a straight and would serve to keep entrance speed down then I could see it's purpose, but it's always in an area that doesn't need slower speeds. So tight or slightly offset gates only when they lead onto a fast section.

I like a less technical course because it is less easy to lose the course. I always feel we need more pointer cones. With that said I don't mind a nice series of switch backs and a WELL DEFINED, curvy course to follow. I like the curves! I would not mind seeing a pretty long session of varying degrees of S curves.

I like the idea of a nice straight, but it doesn't need to be 1/8 mile. It also doesn't need a 90 degree turn at the end or end in the gravel.

The large radius turn we use that leads into the box (slightly larger please) and cuts up the center is nice as well.

I seem to like running counter clockwise better than clockwise but in any case make sure there are enough of the opposite lock corners to equalize tire wear.

I wouldn't mind an first gear corner, just not after the straightaway.

I like a course that allows you to spectate from the center or even just get to your work station without crossing a hot track.

I also feel the really, really slow exits are just asking for a busted timing light.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by David b,Aug 15 2004, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't mind an first gear corner, just not after the straightaway.
I know the topic is autocross elements that we like, but I have to point out that there is nothing more in this world that I hate more than 1st gear corners. Except for maybe liberals. Yes, second to liberals on my list of concerns in life is 1st gear corners.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by marcucci,Aug 16 2004, 06:28 AM
I know the topic is autocross elements that we like, but I have to point out that there is nothing more in this world that I hate more than 1st gear corners. Except for maybe liberals. Yes, second to liberals on my list of concerns in life is 1st gear corners.
Damn, you crack me up...right up there with your politics.

I must agree, even in my limited experience. My thoughts are more focused on driving the course so I just get it in second and leave it there. Yeah, I was hitting the rev limit on the back stretch in March but it was not worth it for me to shift up and back for the short time that I would need third. At my only race at Pennington I finally dropped into first after the pivot cone near the end on my last run. I almost lost it on that one. I understand that we want to give drivers of different skill levels the opportinity to set themselves apart from us newbies but a first gear corner is asking a bit much IMHO. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:52 PM

any updates on this? Have anything sketched out?
Old 08-23-2004, 10:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Manuevers I'd rather as not experience again.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:32 PM

Holy Jesus, those are the absolute worst elements I have ever seen! I have seen some funky stuff but these take the cake, both from a pleasure standpoint as well as safety. I can't imagine anyone thought they were a good idea.

Yes, please, let's stay away from those!!!

Quick Reply: Favorite Autocross Elements?