Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Dyno results!

Old 12-17-2001, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry- looked just like a JR to me.

Valve adjustments make a huge difference in power because you change the duration with the adjustment. Depending on how little clearance you allow for (how tight they are), you increase duration. Loose valves reduce duration and can hurt power quite a bit. an old B/H-series trick is to adjust valves particularly tight, Honda puts a LOT of slop in their adjustment. A better cooling system operating at a lower temp helps facilitate this as well.

Hey Chris, sounds like Mugen thinks you're lying about the TB.
Old 12-17-2001, 06:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The filter installed was definitely the Comptech.

I adjusted the valves because there was a bit more noise than I liked. Initially I used the tight end of the intake spec and the loose end of the exhaust spec but later did them all to the minimum spec.

All I claimed on the TB was response.. which is expected since the plate opens to a larger bore and I probably tightened the cable to spec when I installed. Since this NA motor can be likened to a pump, anything to aid flow could impact power so I would like to think it is a contributor.

King posts a Mugen engine dyno that shows about the same curve I have..
http://www.kingmotorsports.com/images/dyno/f20c.gif

IMO you have to do dyno testing of mods under closely controlled conditions. I think what we did was great because we could generally compare cars, but I would not match the numbers to another dyno, test day, etc. and don't spend the time and money to test my mods. Most dyno testing I have seen allows such a variance (maybe up to 5-8%) that it is hard to tell much without back to back runs on the same equipment with same atmospheric conditions.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:48 PM
Community Organizer

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Speaking of valve adjustments. Is there a specific adjustment that we should hit OTHER than whats said in the books?
Old 12-20-2001, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris, did you dyno your car when it was stock?

[QUOTE]Anway, enough about me ranting , I think the Mugen header made the most gains in Chris's car. After seeing Chris's dyno, I'm
Old 12-20-2001, 12:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DeeGYM
[B]Chris, did you dyno your car when it was stock?

Chris might have a ringer S2000 (stronger).
Old 12-21-2001, 04:20 AM

Just another datapoint:

A few months ago after a large meeting we had down here I had the opportunity of pulling away from another S2000. This was on a freeway with no other inhibitors (traffic, road conditions, etc). The only difference at the time was that I had the Mugen header/exhaust and the other was stock. We were both carrying passengers.

Base on my semi(some would say pseudo)-scientific experiments the most gains were had with the Mugen intake, immediately followed by the header/exhaust combination.
Old 12-21-2001, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by Luis
Base on my semi(some would say pseudo)-scientific experiments the most gains were had with the Mugen intake, immediately followed by the header/exhaust combination.
Most of us have noted a difference with radiator insulation. I wonder how much of the Mugen intake benefit can be attributed to avoiding heating the air. The difference in cost sure made the radmat an attractive alternative.
Old 12-21-2001, 06:20 AM

Chris,

The gains were not consistent throughout the rev range. So there is more at play here than just air temperature. My biggest surprise were the low-end gains. I cannot fully explain it. The only thing that comes to mind is that the resonators Honda built into the stock airbox to quite the intake down have some sort of detrimental effect at low revs. The Mugen is noisy, it just sounds like the radiator fan is on all of the time.

I would love to have gathered more data to be a bit more adamant on my comments and useful to the community at large given that this is an expensive piece... For me, it's a pain in the neck to swap intakes, but if I get around to freeing up some time, I may eventually do it.