Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Discount Tire

Old 04-04-2006, 06:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Discount Tire

I've never been one to buy Discount tire's road hazard warranty, because historically, if I have needed to replace a tire, it usually cost less than the 4 certificates ($64 for certs and ~$45 to replace a bad tire in my truck's case). Plus I've never had to replace two tires, so it always ended up cheaper to not buy the certs.

Back in January, I got a flat on my truck. The tires at this point were less than 1 yr old, and I paid $45 to replace the tire because it was badly damaged after the blowout. So Sunday I realize I have a nail in the tire too close to the sidewall to repair the tire. It was the same tire I just replaced in January 2006, so it should be about 95% of tread. I was thinking it couldn't possibly cost me more than the last one, being a brand new tire, right? Wrong...

These sheisters upped the price of the tire from $93 to $104. I told them that it was not fair and that tire can still be bought at the same price I bought them from DT last year. Well, they had to order the tire so I couldn't get it replaced yesterday... However, when i got back to the office, the hunt began, and i found the tire for even less! $91.54/tire!

When i confronted DT with this, they guys says "Well DT is doing you a favor and eating the tire and giving you a good will warranty, blah blah blah... But we'll take care of it..." I told the guy that I had been a loyal DT customer for over 15 years and that as a loyal customer I EXPECTED that, and did not appreciate the prices being jacked up so their "goodwill warranty" wasn't really paid for by ME!

Either way, sorry for the rant, I think the whole experience was a buncha bullsh-t!

In the future, you guys that buy at DT need to be sure they dont jack up the tire price on the "goodwill" they are so nice to provide.

and to Discount Tire

Tx_Phantom
Old 04-04-2006, 06:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

As a fellow over-reactor I know it when I see it and I think you have a serious case of over-reaction going on here. The tire price went up a whole $10, big deal. Check Tire Rack, tire pricing fluctuates monthly. You showed them proof of a lower price and they matched it. Sounds like good service to me.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:07 AM
Banned

Over-react? Maybe. It's not about the $11 bucks... I am sick and tired of dealers, vendors, and everyone else nickel and diming me and others for everything they can! So I disagree they provided good service - they should have provided the previous tire price UPFRONT and not given me that BS attitude about "we're doing you a favor..."

It's like my recent road trip... We parked in a parking garage, and got our ticket validated... When we left, the lady tried to charge us $2 bucks! I asked her "what the f--- is the validation for if i still have to pay?" My sister paid the $2, but she wouldnt have gotten it out of me... She would have lifted that bar or I would have broke it off. I got enough redneck in me to do it too...
Old 04-04-2006, 07:56 AM

Is it just me or is anyone else missing something?

You chose to not buy the road hazard warranty. You made the choice to buy a new tire if there was a road hazard incident. You are mad because the price of the tire wnet up $11 and you were going to have to pay it? They match a price you found, yet you still cry poor customer service? Why would they give you the old price of the tire if their cost went up? If you wanted the previous deal, you should have bought the road hazard warranty.

I second Clovis's thought... sounds like real over reaction... the fact that they matched the price is an indicator of good customer service not poor. Poor customer service would have been them telling you to buy the tire else where then charging you $24 to mount it and $12 to balance it thus still sticking it to you. If you are that quick to react, count to ten... then ask about the price match...

Not all vendors get their product from the same source... therefore the prices vary from vendor to vendor... and most of the time, a vendor is willing to price match in order to get your business... nothing different with Discount Tire there.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Banned

Yes, you are obviously still missing the point...

I'm saying they should have charged me the original $93.00 per tire price I paid less than two months ago. Good customer service means i wouldn't have had to go out and do that research or put up with attitude from them.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:30 AM

Tx_Phantom:

Here is what I have concluded. You are the first to make fun of people, the first to whine and cry, cheap, and break the rules when you can (DL license, registratrion, inspection, etc).

Everyone has choices. It seems that you have made your choice with discount tire and now you must live with it.

I personally try to follow the rules, not complain, get up on the right side of the bed every day (hopefully, you know what I mean), and make each and every day the best day that I can make it.

I sincerely hope that you have better days in the not too distant future.

May the force be with you.

60N5.5
Old 04-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=60N5.5,Apr 4 2006, 11:30 AM] Tx_Phantom:

Here is what I have concluded.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tx_Phantom,Apr 4 2006, 11:12 AM
Yes, you are obviously still missing the point...

I'm saying they should have charged me the original $93.00 per tire price I paid less than two months ago. Good customer service means i wouldn't have had to go out and do that research or put up with attitude from them.
I think I'm missing the point, too. Why are they supposed to charge you that price? You bought a new tire this week, right? If you buy a new tire this week, shouldn't you pay the price that they're charging this week? If we can buy things today for the price they were charging in the past, then I'm buying a vintage Ferrari for the same price they charged when it was new. And I'm gonna put a full tank of gas in it at 1940 prices, too.

I guess I'm just not following your logic.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:55 AM

I keep going to this one Chevron. It's too bad I have to pay for gas at today's prices and not what I paid 2 months ago.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bo_Vien,Apr 4 2006, 08:55 AM
I keep going to this one Chevron. It's too bad I have to pay for gas at today's prices and not what I paid 2 months ago.
You MUST be kidding... gas prices go up? I guess other stuff goes up in prices as well.

Quick Reply: Discount Tire