Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Career Advice?

Old 09-05-2006, 07:29 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Career Advice?

I'm in the process of finding a new job and I've received 2 offers but I can't decide on which one to take. I know a lot of you guys have good experience in this area and hope you might be able to point me the right direction.

Offer 1. Compusa, corporate office in addison. Job is marketing their technical support and warranty program. It's mostly data analysis with some creative marketing. It pays in the low/mid 30's with benefits. My undergrad was in marketing so I'm partial to this job a little.

Offer 2. Fedex regional office in Irving. Job is account executive/b2b sales sitting at a desk all day with a phone glued to my ear. Not the most ideal job however Fedex seems to be more stable and offers a chance to move into another field I'd love later on. Pay is in the mid to upper 30's with 5000 a year tuition reimbursement. I'm going back to get my MBA right now so that is important to me.

What would you do? As it stands I've called compusa and told them about my other offer and made a counter offer at 35K (which is the top of their salary range). Compusa said they will check on my offer and call me back. Fedex will send me the official offer friday.

I know that everyone says to take the job you would enjoy more especially at the entry level but the compensation gap seems to be pretty large. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would go with fedex! get ur school out the way!!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by dominox972,Sep 5 2006, 10:39 AM
i would go with fedex! get ur school out the way!!
Thanks for the reply, everyone I talk to seems to go with fedex. I'm just a bit nervous about the whole phone sales thing vs marketing/analysis which is something I'm a bit more familiar with.

That being said I BS'd my way into an offer with fedex with them extending offers to less than 10 people out of the 50-60 that interviewed so I might be ok in that position.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Compusa continues to be a troubled outfit but Fedex is pretty stable. Only you can make the decision on the job duties, but Fedex seems to be the more stable employer.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:08 AM

Sounds like Fedex is the best option, just put up with a the less than ideal job for abit and then you can either move up in the company or after MBA go get better job.

Kevin
Old 09-05-2006, 08:33 AM

My wife is an IT recruiter at FedEx for corporate. She would tell you hands down that it is an awesome place to work. They spend a lot of resources to promote from within. They will choose someone from within with a worse resume (up to a point) before taking someone from outside. And they also spend a lot of money on keeping everyone happy there.

From what I hear it is an awesome place to work. If you can move to the corporate office at the Galleria it is a great location as well. (Although having a wife who works at the Galleria is NOT good for the pocket book.) (FYI, they are doubling in size within the next year.)

I have only heard horror stories from people who worked at CompUSA. All of which had left or been let go. Doesn't mean there aren't great opportunities there, i just hear the bad stuff.

KEvin
Old 09-05-2006, 08:49 AM

[QUOTE=StockSilverstone03,Sep 5 2006, 11:33 AM] My wife is an IT recruiter at FedEx for corporate.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 AM

I say CompUSA, because i can walk to your building from where I work at and i need a new lunch buddy. But i'd rather you have a successful career path at Fedex and potentionally hire me in the future!

Sooo go with FedEx !!!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:18 AM

I say go against FedEx b/c I like to be different...Hehe. Nah, FedEx FTMFW!

We should have HappyHour in the area some time, since that is so centralized.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fedex seems to be the best choice - just as long as you LIKE what you'll be doing. It sounds like a sales position. Sales has been good to me and I hope it works out for you. But if you dislike it, the job can quickly become a grind and you'll burn out early. I try to take time off every so often just to get my mind away from it. Fed Ex seems to be a frontrunner since the corporation is god, but it sounds like the CompUSA job will involve something you actually want to do.

Quick Reply: Career Advice?