Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Anything happening this weekend?

Old 07-20-2005, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaiser,Jul 20 2005, 08:52 AM
There is a new Wal Mart just north of downtown (and though I hate Wal Mart, it is definitely a sign of growth).

Wal Mart rocks!
Old 07-20-2005, 07:10 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Wal Mart sucks, you can't be serious.

So, how many different tangents can this thread take?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jul 20 2005, 09:10 AM
Wal Mart sucks, you can't be serious.

So, how many different tangents can this thread take?
Dead serious.

Yeah I think we're way off topic now.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I have a skewed perspective on things. Where I lived previously, I had a Sam's Club across the street, Wal-Mart, Lowes, and Albertsons were a block away, and it took 6 minutes to get to Collin Creek Mall. Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, Home Depot, etc were all within a 3 mile radius of me. Additionally, there was a row of mid-range restaurants (Red Lobster, Joe's Crab Shack, TX Land & Cattle, Abuelo's, etc) within 5 miles.

Wylie doesn't have any mid- to upper- range restaurants other than Chili's as far as I know... although the pizza from Napoli's is the best I've ever eaten. I haven't actually been to the location where the new mall is going to be, so I don't know how far it is from my house. I'm pretty sure it will take me at least 15 minutes to get there, because it takes me at least 5 minutes just to get from my subdivision to 544. Also, I've heard that it is going to be an outdoor mall, and if it is, I can guarantee you that I won't be spending much (if any) money there during the summer. And I doubt it will have the prestige of a mall like Stonebriar or Grapevine Mills or The Galleria, with their high-class stores. Also... where's my movie theater? I need a big-screen, stadium seating theater to keep me happy. Currently, I have to drive back to Legacy/75. 15 minutes away. And night-life... ha!

Maybe the "good-stuff" will come to Wylie with time, but I'm not the patient type. And I honestly don't get the impression that we'll ever have a 3 Forks or Ruth's Chris or Landry's. I just don't think there is enough money in Wylie to bring that class of stuff here. Wylie is middle-class all the way, as opposed to the upper crust that lives in West Plano.

As for my comment about "growth", I was referring more to property value than population. Again, that's simply because people that have money are going to pay to live where things are convenient. And that is mostly along the tollway (West Plano/Frisco/etc). Until Wylie has improved accessibility to the places that people want to be (or until the places that people want to be are in Wylie), I don't think the demand for housing will be high enough in Wylie to cause property values to keep up with those in more desirable locations.

Again, my biggest beef is just the accessibility. Put in a 65mph freeway from Wylie to 75 and I'll be happy. I'd even settle for opening up Parker or 544 to 3 lanes all the way back to 75 and make the speed limit 50mph (and get rid of some of the lights in Plano). That would be OK, too.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wylie and the area may have grown in the past few years, but nothing like what everyplace else has grown, they and all the areas over there are still behind the curve with no hope of getting on the curve anytime soon.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:22 AM

Wow...what a conversation...and here I have been away from an internet connection. My wife and bought a house in Frisco and so we are glad that is over. We stayed in Rockwall at a house my in-laws own and we decided that was too far to drive. I look forward to getting to know everybody in the future.

BTW whomever owns a Spa yellow S and was transporting a box in the drivers seat be careful as you might stretch your leather.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by niugnip,Jul 24 2005, 07:22 AM
Wow...what a conversation...and here I have been away from an internet connection. My wife and bought a house in Frisco and so we are glad that is over. We stayed in Rockwall at a house my in-laws own and we decided that was too far to drive. I look forward to getting to know everybody in the future.

BTW whomever owns a Spa yellow S and was transporting a box in the drivers seat be careful as you might stretch your leather.
Where in Frisco? I'm in the NW corner (720 & 423). I looked at Rockwall as well and decided that while it would have been nice to be near the lake the traffic path was just too harsh. (distance and congestion). Frisco's kinda sucky right now due to the construction, but in a year it should be back to an easy commute (well, as easy as it gets in the metroplex anyway).

Enjoy!
Old 07-24-2005, 01:45 PM

Over around Eldorado Parkway and 423 (Can't remember those cross streets) it is amazing google maps doesn't even have a recent picture of the area