Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Anything happening this weekend?

Old 07-19-2005, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything happening this weekend?

My wife and I are coming into town to look for homes and wanted to know if there were any get togethers planned. We will be staying in Rockwall and other then the Rangers game and looking at homes we have no plans.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:25 PM

REFER TO INTERCREW THREAD THANKS HAVE NICE DAY
Old 07-19-2005, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What communities are you looking at? You could come be my neighbor in Wylie. The lot across the street from me is still for sale. It's a creek lot, and the builder is Ryland homes (their model looks nice, as does their list of standard features). Biggest drawback that I can see (other than having a neighbor with one of those obnoxious rice-boy fart-can exhausts) is that there is a fire hydrant in the front yard.

Oh, there's also an autocross this weekend in Mineral Wells, but it's pretty far from the city.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:09 PM

Thanks for all the help! I will see if I can sneak out to something (my wife is pregnant so I might not get out much). We can't wait to get back to Texas...and especially having Texas beer..wahoo!
Old 07-19-2005, 06:52 PM

Gee Mxt77 and you were just complaining on another post about how far out you were and that there was nothing to do in your neck of the woods.

The old saying Misery loves company comes to mind
Old 07-19-2005, 08:22 PM

Forget Dallas. Move to Tarrant County. Lower property taxes and much quieter.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by David b,Jul 19 2005, 08:52 PM
Old 07-20-2005, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by David b,Jul 19 2005, 09:52 PM
Gee Mxt77 and you were just complaining on another post about how far out you were and that there was nothing to do in your neck of the woods.

Yeah, that thread was started by the same guy... so I figure he had all the background info. But, yeah.. the key drawbacks of Wylie are:
1) Poor access to, well, everything. There is no major highway going into Wylie, so if you want to get back to Plano or McKinney or Dallas, you're pretty much forced to take residential streets. 15 minutes to get back to Highway 75, minimum. Once you get to 75, then you can actually start your journey to wherever it is that you really want to be.
2) No good restaurants, entertainment, nightlife, commercial development. It still has a very "small town" feel to it. I grew up in a small town, so I've had to deal with driving 15 minutes to get to a mall or restaurant... but that doesn't mean I like it. I'd prefer to have things like that more conveniently available.
3) High property taxes. Some of the highest in the area, if I'm not mistaken.
4) Probably not a great "growth area" as far as property values go. It seems that Daddy Warbucks wants to move to the North and West of Dallas (Plano/Frisco/McKinney), not to the Northeast. That could just be my perception, but I think Wylie will be similar to Garland, in that property values won't grow very much. Not good if you're expecting your home to be an investment property that you can turn around and sell for a profit soon.

The only selling point that I can think of is the relatively cheap housing costs. You can get a pretty big house on a pretty big lot for a pretty reasonable price.

I dunno... those are just my observations. If I had it to do over again, I doubt I'd buy in Wylie. I'm too young and too single to live there.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:16 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I've decided that I'm willing to trade lot size and size/age of house for a good location. Life is just too short to live far away from everything, especially a long commute to/from work.

My future wife and I are probably going to live in Las Colinas/Valley Ranch area as it's close to work for both of us.

As far as original topic starter, autox at Mineral Wells (in BFE), and intercrew gansta gathering (rice fest).
Old 07-20-2005, 06:52 AM

[QUOTE=mxt_77,Jul 20 2005, 05:36 AM] Yeah, that thread was started by the same guy... so I figure he had all the background info.

Quick Reply: Anything happening this weekend?