Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Anyone use a Treo 650 or the new treo 700?

Old 01-27-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use a Treo 650 or the new treo 700?

I am thinking of trading in the old boring cell phone for a smart phone, and I was curious if anyone here has used the treo 650 or 700. I like the 650 because it is palm based and will sync with my Mac, but isn't newer always better? - haha. I would like to hear horror stories on either device, and whether you can hear on the phones with the top down in your S.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2006, 06:26 PM

I've been wanting to buy the 650 for months now but couldn't justify spending so much on it.. now that the 700 is out, I'm just waiting for it to hit Spring and I think I'm gonna buy it.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Treo is a brick, my uncle has one and I wanted one for so long since it has EDGE and a full HTML browser so you can surf on your phone. It's just too big and heavy and I don't need a PDA so I skipped it.

I got a nokia 6680 which runs on the symbian 60 firmware so you can download and add apps similar to a windows mobile OS. Also it has MS office so you can open word/excel/powerpoint/pdf, class 10 EDGE so you get near DSL speed data transmission and opera mini (a java based html web browser). Also it has bluetooth so you can essentially use it as a wireless modem with your laptop anywhere.

On top of that it plays mpeg4, full mp3, streams realtime video, has a 1.3 megapixel camera, VGA front camera for video conferencing for when networks support 3G in the future. Lastly it has a nokia pc suite software that lets you transfer files, organize music, photos very efficiently. And it's much smaller/lighter than the Treo. A lot of the new nokia smart phones are very impressive including most of the N series line.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_6680-1045.php
Old 01-30-2006, 11:19 AM

I got a Treo 650 just before Christmas and love it. I do need a PDA and a phone, so the combination is great. Still in the techno-honneymoon phase. All of my Sony Clie' (Palm 5.0) applications worked seamlessly with the Treo. I even got it to sync with Groupwise (with some add-on software.)
Old 01-30-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think the 650 is a brick you obviously are new to PDA phones. I had a Kyocera 6035 before my 650 and the 650 is a flyweight compared to it.

Symbian isn't the easiest thing to find support for if you are a real tweaker, FWIW.

I love my 650. The keypad blows away the chickenscratch crap that Palm introduced. If you have neanderthal hands it might be a problem. Software and other things are pretty straightforward, and the vibrate switch on the outside just flat rocks. The SD slot is great, too, I've got a 1G card loaded with all kinds of MP3's for the built in realplayer. It also comes with the Outlook pipe, though that may be true of all Palm devices now (wasn't so when I had my Kyocera).

Downsides: The camera straight sucks, people say that it's not that bad but it is. Ability to shoot movies is nice but with a sucky camera it's kind of a waste. The supplied ring tones suck but since it can use ANYTHING as a ringer it's easy enough to change.

I also have to say that I have dropped this thing twice from waist-level onto concrete and it's faired just fine.

Beware you will have to do some trickery to get old Palm data to sync up to the new phone (instructions included with the phone).
Old 01-30-2006, 11:33 AM

Just bought my girlfriend the Treo 650 and she loves it. Got it with the unlimited data plan and she surfs the web all the time on it. There is a bit of a learning curve if you aren't already Palm savvy. But... she's addicted to it already.

As for the comments about Symbian... I have a Nokia 6620 (Symbian 8.1a running Series 60) and it does just about everything the Treo does. I'm thinking about getting a Palm (or maybe a WinCE device) and then using the bluetooth for data connectivity from the phone.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Banned

I have a motorola cell (no camera), a 4 megapixel digital camera, a handspring visor, and an old sony video camera.

My point is, I have not upgraded to one of these all-in-one units because I fear the day it breaks (or gets lost) and I lose my camera, my palm, my phone, my phone list, and my video camera all in one shot. Oh yeah and Jesus, where would I be if I lost my calendar???

I say evaluate your needs, and decide what it is you need. My vote is to still lug around all the separate units...

Tx_Phantom

Old 01-30-2006, 11:45 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave04,Jan 30 2006, 12:33 PM
Just bought my girlfriend the Treo 650 and she loves it. Got it with the unlimited data plan and she surfs the web all the time on it. There is a bit of a learning curve if you aren't already Palm savvy. But... she's addicted to it already.

As for the comments about Symbian... I have a Nokia 6620 (Symbian 8.1a running Series 60) and it does just about everything the Treo does. I'm thinking about getting a Palm (or maybe a WinCE device) and then using the bluetooth for data connectivity from the phone.
That's a great idea! I need to find my old Toshiba windows pocket pc and see if that will work. The downside is carrying 2 portable devices. Symbian 60 isn't that hard to use, with nokia's the pc suite has an application manager that makes everything as easy to install as a normal windows app.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dave04,Jan 30 2006, 02:33 PM

I also subscribed to the Handmark Pocket Express news, stock quote, weather, sports, info service. I love it.

Regards,

Al
Old 01-30-2006, 07:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i play with them all day long.. nice phones.. but personally id rather have the new 700 because i like pocket pc more than the palm based OS...

P.S. if anyway needs a treo 650 for sprint let me know.. i work for sprint and we have plenty instock.. and we should be getting the 700 shortly..

Quick Reply: Anyone use a Treo 650 or the new treo 700?