Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Anyone near McKinney have a metal detector?

Old 04-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Anyone near McKinney have a metal detector?

I have a bad sprinkler system valve somewhere in my yard, and I can't find it. The valve boxes either aren't there, or they were sodded over. I think I can locate it with a metal detector, but don't want to have to buy one...
Old 04-18-2006, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummmm....call a sprinkler company?

I fully encourage DIY, but there are some projects that are so cheap to outsource that it doesn't make sense to spend the time. Sprinkler valves are one of them.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Former Sponsor

I did call the sprinkler company that installed it, but they flaked out. I don't just want it fixed, I want to know where all 6 of my valves are.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:41 AM

I replaced all of my valves last year.. what a huge huge PITA (the problem is that you can't just unscrew the old valve and drop in a new one... at least not the way mine was done... you have to dig a big hole (my holes ended up all being about 3 feet across), cut the valve out and then get creative with the PVC fittings to make the new ones go back in... including several trips back and forth to Home Depot to get the right fittings. I learned to love those screw-together compression fittings).

A metal detector is a good idea... but keep in mind that the valves are mostly plastic. I had to do a good bit of looking to find my valve boxes... the bermuda grass in my yard had grown completely over them and made them invisible.

Mine were in 3 different 6" cylindrical "valve boxes" (two per box). When I replaced them I put in larger (I think they are 12") boxes so they'll be easier to get to.

Seriously, though... this is one of those jobs that if I could go back in time I'd just pay someone else to do it.

Oh - I think most systems are done with the valves in or near the zone that they control... My first box controls zones 1 and 2 - I found the box in the area covered by zone 2... same for the others...

ETA: The digging out in the Texas sun is what sucks. If you don't have one of those popup shelter things to give you some shade you can borrow mine... it made things much nicer.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Former Sponsor

I figure the metal detector would be able to pick up the copper coil inside the valves. I may just hire someone, but I always try doing these types of things myself at least once.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Problem solved! I found the access boxes by poking around with a metal rod. They were sodded over, so the boxes are below the soil. It turns out that the majority of the valve can be replaced just by removing 6 screws and replacing the electronic portion ($14). The part that is inline with the PVC is just a diaphram, which rarely ever wears out.

I'm glad I did it myself, since I now know how easy it is to fix.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:03 PM

awesome... yeah - if the problem is just with your solenoids then you were lucky.

Part of my issue was that they had changed the valves somewhat since mine were put in - and so I couldn't get replacement parts.

I'd recommend picking up some extras while you can